file Two Channel guy trying out basic home theatre

• ArthurDaniels's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 1811
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
ArthurDaniels Posted 5 years 6 months ago
Hi GDHAL,

Well, this little adventure is a bit of a "Comedy of Errors" on my part. When I opened the package last night and removed two units. I did so in rather dim light and without carefully examining the two units I removed.

Turns out that several of the 10 units in the bag were missing their removable male plugs (which were in the bag and must have fallen out of these units in transit). By luck, the two units I removed for installation were both missing their plugs.

I have now completed the assembly of all plugs into their respective housings and I have installed actual plugs on to each of my Triton One LFE terminals.

However, I have noted that these plugs do not seat like a similar plug which is attached to a cable. These shorting plugs are a very tight fit and I could just barely push them on to the Ones' LFE females.

So, even though I stand corrected about the plug lengths, I am still wondering if I have pushed them onto the LFE females far enough for the shorting male plug to actually be engaged. Again, I am reluctant to use a pair of pliers to push these plugs farther into the jacks.

Comments?

Thanks,

Art

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• GDHAL's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 879
GDHAL Posted 5 years 6 months ago
Last edit: 5 years 6 months ago by GDHAL. info_outline
Art, I'm glad you got it sorted out. First, yes, when the plugs are packaged, not all of the male center pins are attached (screwed) to the center of the plug. This is because some folks use the plugs as a dust cover and not a shorting plug. So its a good thing. You have the option of installing or removing the center pin. As to it being tighter, "no". In all likelihood many of the other connectors are simply "not as tight as they should be". I can assure you that with hand/finger pressure alone, they can be inserted all the way on without any kind of damage to the speaker or plug. What you could do that perhaps may make things a bit easier in the way of loosening the plugs a bit would be to take them on and off some other inconspicuous RCA connection a few times. Keep in mind when the plugs are brand new, this is what you want. A tight fit. Note the plug is standard RCA and has perforations around the side. This means they will bend outward ever so slightly as you put them on. No need to overthink this as it really should be a simple matter. I recall you put your own screws as leveling feet. In my estimation that operation would be a lot more difficult. :)
Golden Ear Triton Reference (pair), Musical Fidelity M6si, Schiit Yggdrasil-OG-B, Oppo UDP-205, Emotiva ERC-3, LG OLED65C9PUA, Salamander Synergy Triple Unit SL20, Audeze LCD-X, GIK acoustic paneling
halr.x10.mx/TritonReference.htm ; halr.x10.mx/other.html

• ArthurDaniels's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 1811
ArthurDaniels Posted 5 years 6 months ago
Thanks for your followup comments. I am glad that they are a tight fit. I am going to presume that I have them sufficiently seated with just hand insertion to provide the shorting function intended.

Art
The following user(s) said Thank You: GDHAL

Moderators: Moderator
menu
close
Menu
person_outline
arrow_back
You are here: Home Forum Getting Started Basic Hookup and Wiring Questions Two Channel guy trying out basic home theatre