file T7 setup with a REL setup and audyssey??

• Spencer's Avatar Offline school
    • Thank you received: 3
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
Spencer Posted 9 years 3 months ago
Hi guys, I have been looking all over the place to try and find an answer and would really appreciate any help. I have a Marantz SR5008, triton 7's and a REL sub which connects to the speakers via the Neutrik Speakon cable. After running audyssey (many times) and adjusting things accordingly I can't get a sound I like. With the Speakon cable it's just way too "boomy". Forgive any unclear communication, but if this makes any sense I'd appreciate any tips or advice on settings. I've given up on the Speakon cable for now and just use the LFE.
Thanks and I look forward to hearing back from somebody...I hope ;)
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• WayneWilmeth's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 7040
WayneWilmeth Posted 9 years 3 months ago
Hi Spencer, and welcome!!!!
First of all, let me say congrats on getting the Triton 7s, they are wonderful speakers.
And I agree, in most situations, movies and rock and roll, you need to add a sub. Not for the quiet music, but for the rest, yes.
Secondly, join the club. I could not get a good sound out of Audyssey at all. Never could and lots of other folks cannot.
Sorry though, I do not know the speakon cable you are talking about. And have no experience with the REL sub either, but that should not matter.
Your Marantz, if set up properly, should be able to send an LFE signal to the sub, cross over the T7s at somewhere around 80 Hz (just a suggestion) and set them to SMALL.
Then you will have to work on the placement in the room for the sub, any volume settings and phase settings it might have.
You should with a little bit of experimentation be able to dial it in pretty nicely.
Please let us know how you get on, and perhaps the Moderator Dude or others will have better comments or suggestions than I have.
Enjoy the hunt for great sound, happy listening,
God Bless,
Wayne
God bless the child that's got his own.

• Moderator's Avatar Offline
    • Thank you received: 3418
Moderator Posted 9 years 3 months ago
Last edit: 9 years 3 months ago by Moderator. info_outline

Spencer wrote: I have a Marantz SR5008, triton 7's and a REL sub which connects to the speakers via the Neutrik Speakon cable. After running audyssey (many times) and adjusting things accordingly I can't get a sound I like. With the Speakon cable it's just way too "boomy". Forgive any unclear communication, but if this makes any sense I'd appreciate any tips or advice on settings. I've given up on the Speakon cable for now and just use the LFE.

Welcome. If you are using the speakon (speaker-level) connections, than your sub gets a full range signal that you set the sub's crossover (low pass) to blend with the main speakers. No high-pass is involved. With Triton Sevens, you would need to set a very low crossover on the sub, say 40 Hz, to blend. If you set it higher than this, that would explain the boomy-ness.Two things to know in this setup configuration: 1) This gives you no improvement in system dynamic range or playing ceiling, just additional low frequency extension (presumably), 2) Audyssey will have no idea what to do with that setup, so just turn that off completely.

Our suggestion would be to add the sub with conventional bass management from your receiver, using the sub-out of your receiver as the input to the sub. Run a manual setup and do some listening. Then run Audyssey (if you feel something is not right or could be better) and see if that's better.
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, T Cobe

• Spencer's Avatar Offline school
    • Thank you received: 3
Spencer Posted 9 years 3 months ago
Thanks very much to Wayne and the moderator! I probably won't be able to try out these suggestions till tomorrow night but really look forward to hearing the outcome and will keep posted Wayne.
Cheers
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, T Cobe

Moderators: Moderator
menu
close
Menu
person_outline
arrow_back
You are here: Home Forum Getting Started Basic Hookup and Wiring Questions T7 setup with a REL setup and audyssey??