file Recommended room size for Invisa SPS

• dipsticklife's Avatar Offline school
    • Thank you received: 4
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
dipsticklife Posted 6 years 3 months ago
Hi Guys, I'm designing a 27ft Long by 18ft wide room with a 10ft high ceiling. What kind of SPL levels or throw can i achieve from the invisa series if i use the SPS as the fronts and MPX as surrounds( Side and rear ). I'll probably look into my atmos and go for either the HTR-7000 or the 650 depending on the budget. The aim is to get a solid sounding theatre with great speech till the end of the room.
Feel free to recommend other speakers from the golden ear range.

x
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, rjohn79395, HTSME

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• rjohn79395's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • rjohn79395
    • Thank you received: 4322
rjohn79395 Posted 6 years 3 months ago
Last edit: 6 years 3 months ago by rjohn79395. info_outline
Hi, Dipsticklife

Welcome!

I haven't had an opportunity to hear the SPS's yet, but the driver configuration is very similar to the Supercenter XXL, which I have as my center channel. Both have four 5.25" mid/bass drivers with one pair driving the bass portion up to 500 HZ, and one pair handling 500 to 3,000 HZ. The SPS apparently also has the T Ref type HVFR tweeter. So, comments about the Supercenter XXL that should apply to the SPS: beefy, plays loud clear as a bell including for human voices. I don't doubt the SPS has all that, and an even better tweeter.

Several questions:

What are you planning re the center channel, which plays a fundamental role in a surround system? For the clearest cleanest possible speech, the Supercenter XXL would be a great choice, especially in your large room where you want lots of heft from a speaker.

What about deeper bass? The recommendation for the SPS's and MPX's is to set as Small, with a starting crossover of 80 HZ and sub on to send below 80 HZ to a sub. Is there is sub (or subs) you are planning on using with this set-up?

Also, just a comment re Atmos: I love it! In fact, if budget trade-offs need to be made, I think you'd find that even one pair of Atmos height speakers in a 5.1.2 configuration would add more dimension than using a second pair of surrounds to go from a 5.1 to a 7.1 configuration.

Things to think about. And yes, Invisa's are fantastic speakers. I have HTR 7000's and 525's, and they play perfectly with the rest of the GEt's, AND with plenty of SL reserve when crossed at 80 HZ.

Hope this helps.

Rick
5.4.4 HT speakers: T Ref fronts/LFE 1, SuperCenter Ref, T1 surrounds/LFE 2 + SuperSub XXL, HTR 7000 top fronts, HTR 8000 top rears
Zone 2 speakers; 2 Invisa 525's
AVR: Marantz SR 8015
Amp: AT525NC 5 channel
Cable/TiVo, OPPO BDP 105D, Bluesound Node 2i, Apple tv 4K streamer
48" SONY 4K OLED TV
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, HTSME

• Moderator's Avatar Offline
    • Thank you received: 3418
Moderator Posted 6 years 3 months ago
Last edit: 6 years 3 months ago by Moderator. info_outline

dipsticklife wrote: Hi Guys, I'm designing a 27ft Long by 18ft wide room with a 10ft high ceiling. What kind of SPL levels or throw can i achieve from the invisa series if i use the SPS as the fronts and MPX as surrounds( Side and rear ). I'll probably look into my atmos and go for either the HTR-7000 or the 650 depending on the budget. The aim is to get a solid sounding theatre with great speech till the end of the room.
Feel free to recommend other speakers from the golden ear range.

Levels will be determined by crossover point and subwoofer(s). As long as we're not talking a stadium or commercial size space, all the GoldenEar speakers will achieve good home theater volumes. The biggest issue with a very large room will be filling it up with bass, the quantity and quality of subwoofers is the larger issue for achieving good levels in a large room.
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, rjohn79395, HTSME

• dipsticklife's Avatar Offline school
    • Thank you received: 4
dipsticklife Posted 6 years 3 months ago
Hey,

Thank you for the prompt reply. To answer your questions

1) Invisa SPS as Fronts - Right, Centre , Left
2) I was thinking of using the Velodyne SPL1200 x 2 no.s for subs

I understand that rolling the speakers off at 80hz can give me better levels but i'm looking at a good throw along with loudness. If the speaker is able to throw the speech loud and clear till about 20 feet, it works for me and yes I really dig Atmos and i believe HTR7000s can really change the height level game.

Best
The following user(s) said Thank You: rjohn79395

• rjohn79395's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • rjohn79395
    • Thank you received: 4322
rjohn79395 Posted 6 years 3 months ago
Last edit: 6 years 3 months ago by rjohn79395. info_outline
Thanks for the update!

So SPS's for L/R fronts, AND center channel. That should be a great combination, with maximum clarity, voice and otherwise, with the newest GEt technology in balanced crossovers, Ref HVFR tweeters, etc. Are you able, with your room/screen configuration, to mount the center channel, in wall, at ear level?

Re the SL "throw" you refer to, my room is 25' deep, the listening positions are 10' from the fronts and center, and the Supercenter XXL, similar to your SPS's, plays with authority any place in that room with a 80 HZ crossover. Usually it just blends into the sound envelope, but when voices from surround audio come from the center channel only, those are loud and clear throughout the room also. Lots of theories about Db drop-off with distance in the real world. -6 Db with each doubling of distance in an anechoic chamber or completely open space, but apparently in the real world of audio in rooms with room reflections, it may be as low as -3 Db (anyone feel free to jump in here with corrections/comments). So if your first listening position is say 10' back from the front speakers, 20' back might see a 3-6 Db drop-off from that. All I can say is that my Supercenter XXL and the GEt's fill the entire room with sound, and I don't detect any dramatic drop-off in SL's walking back from 10' to 20'.

Re subs, with a room that size, two (or more) good subs will help a lot.

Have fun with your project!

Rick
5.4.4 HT speakers: T Ref fronts/LFE 1, SuperCenter Ref, T1 surrounds/LFE 2 + SuperSub XXL, HTR 7000 top fronts, HTR 8000 top rears
Zone 2 speakers; 2 Invisa 525's
AVR: Marantz SR 8015
Amp: AT525NC 5 channel
Cable/TiVo, OPPO BDP 105D, Bluesound Node 2i, Apple tv 4K streamer
48" SONY 4K OLED TV

Moderators: Moderator
menu
close
Menu
person_outline
arrow_back
You are here: Home Forum Support Invisa Series Recommended room size for Invisa SPS