file Atmos in-ceiling speakers, and fiberglass baffle Q

• phroenips's Avatar Offline school
    • Thank you received: 1
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
phroenips Posted 7 years 5 months ago
Last edit: 7 years 5 months ago by phroenips. info_outline
Hi,

I currently use HTR 7000s as my rear surround speakers and am looking to add Atmos effect speakers. I've seen that a lot of people use HTR 7000 for the height speakers as well, but it would appear perhaps because they provide better dispersion with lower ceilings? My ceilings are 10-11' high (front heights would be at 11', rear heights would be in a section that drops down to 10'...distance from main listening position would be adjusted accordingly), and I also have budget constraints, so I was looking at either the Invisa 525 or 650.

My questions:
  1. Given my ceiling height, will the 525/650 perform well? Or is it still strongly recommended to upgrade to the HTR 7000 (which is about twice the price)?
  2. Assuming the 525/650 will work in my situation, and for the purpose of Atmos, any discernible difference between the 525 vs 650?
  3. The manual recommends loosely placing some standard fiberglass insulation over the ceiling speakers. What's the purpose of this? Is it simply to help prevent sound from going up? or does it have acoustical characteristics to improve the in-room sound?
  4. EDIT: Another question I thought of: with my rears technically ceiling mounted already, will it provide enough difference in depth of plane for a good Atmos experience?

Thanks!
The following user(s) said Thank You: T Cobe

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Moderator's Avatar Offline
    • Thank you received: 3418
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
Moderator Posted 7 years 5 months ago
Hi,

In answer to your questions:

1) Yes, perfect. HTR 7000 is best for ceilings under 10'.

2) Yes, the 650 will handle quite a bit more power.

3) It keeps debris from falling into the speaker and you don't want the any of the back wave to come back out through the speaker.

4) The rear ceiling speakers will need to be far enough away from the listening position to achieve the correct effect and not impact the soundfield negatively. With a 10' ceiling this is probably 15'-20' away.
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, rjohn79395, T Cobe

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: Moderator
menu
close
Menu
person_outline
arrow_back
You are here: Home Forum Support Invisa Series Atmos in-ceiling speakers, and fiberglass baffle Q