file Dolby Atmos ceiling speaker choice

• Keelover's Avatar Offline school
    • Thank you received: 21
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
Keelover Posted 8 years 4 weeks ago
I'm currently planning for a 7.1.2 home theater installation, my basement, and am undecided regarding the best speaker to choose for the two ceiling Atmos speakers. For the rest of the system I am decided upon:
T1 or T2+ for fronts
SCXXL for center
MPX for sides
HTR7000 for rears
SSXXL

So, for the Atmos speakers, and given my ceilings are 8' high, would I be better going with the Invisa 650, HTR7000, or possibly even the MPX?

Thanks for the input.
The following user(s) said Thank You: rjohn79395

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• rjohn79395's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • rjohn79395
    • Thank you received: 4322
rjohn79395 Posted 8 years 4 weeks ago
Last edit: 8 years 4 weeks ago by rjohn79395. info_outline

Keelover wrote: I'm currently planning for a 7.1.2 home theater installation, my basement, and am undecided regarding the best speaker to choose for the two ceiling Atmos speakers. For the rest of the system I am decided upon:
T1 or T2+ for fronts
SCXXL for center
MPX for sides
HTR7000 for rears
SSXXL

So, for the Atmos speakers, and given my ceilings are 8' high, would I be better going with the Invisa 650, HTR7000, or possibly even the MPX?

Thanks for the input.

Hey, Keelover,

That's an AWESOME system you are planning! Two T1's or T2+'s plus a SSXXL will give you just amazing bass coverage. A bass head's dream.. I've auditioned the SSXXL, and it is amazing. Hold onto your hat with a Triton sub/SSXXL combo.

Re the choice of ATMOS ceiling height speakers, I think we all would love to see Moderator Dude's suggestions on this, since GEt has by far the most experience with speaker selection for ATMOS set-ups. My own inclination would be Invisa HTR 7000's, with a ceiling height of 8'. We'll see what Moderator Dude has to say. I too am debating what GEt speakers to add if I want to add a second set of ATMOS speakers (I have Invisa 525's as top middle ATMOS channels now with a 9' ceiling and am considering HTR 7000's as a second pair if I want to add another ATMOS pair). Comments welcome on that also, Moderator Dude! Any/all commets and suggestions welcome. We're all learning about best ways to incorporate ATMOS.

I'm not clear on what GEt speakers you have auditioned at this point, but the way the entire speaker line-up's voicing just plain works and blends together amazes me.

Good luck! You are heading for some fantastic audio experiences!

Happy listening!

Rick
5.4.4 HT speakers: T Ref fronts/LFE 1, SuperCenter Ref, T1 surrounds/LFE 2 + SuperSub XXL, HTR 7000 top fronts, HTR 8000 top rears
Zone 2 speakers; 2 Invisa 525's
AVR: Marantz SR 8015
Amp: AT525NC 5 channel
Cable/TiVo, OPPO BDP 105D, Bluesound Node 2i, Apple tv 4K streamer
48" SONY 4K OLED TV
The following user(s) said Thank You: Moderator, T Cobe

• Moderator's Avatar Offline
    • Thank you received: 3418
Moderator Posted 8 years 4 weeks ago
Last edit: 8 years 4 weeks ago by Moderator. info_outline

Keelover wrote: I'm currently planning for a 7.1.2 home theater installation, my basement, and am undecided regarding the best speaker to choose for the two ceiling Atmos speakers. For the rest of the system I am decided upon:
T1 or T2+ for fronts
SCXXL for center
MPX for sides
HTR7000 for rears
SSXXL

Thanks for the input.

Welcome to the forum, thanks for joining and sharing your plans, should be a great system. Lots of choices but without knowing the exact room size and layout its hard to recommend. So, here are my fairly blind recommendations:
  1. Dolby clearly prefers a 5.1.4 setup over the suggested 7.1.2 for best Atmos experience in the home, we agree.
  2. If the ceiling is under 10', use the HTR 7000s for your height channels.
  3. Use the MPX as (side) surrounds, mounted at ear level. (Depending on room setup, these can be located anywhere from sides of, but behind, the listening area to the rear of the room.)
Hope this helps.
The following user(s) said Thank You: rjohn79395, T Cobe

Keelover Posted 8 years 3 weeks ago
Thank you for the feedback.

My decision to use two Atmos channels as opposed to four is based upon ceiling obstructions within the space. I can do 4 channels if I'd like but it would be a bit of an odd setup with the two rear Atmos channels at 7' and the two front Atmos channels at 8'. My processor is a Marantz 8802A and I would like to do a 7.1.4 system but I'm just not sure if the difference in height among the Atmos channels would sound good.

Any experience with a setup such as this?

The MPXs will be installed in the wall at ear level. The room is a very large space which will be used for other things; bar area, rec area, etc. Therefore I have decided to use the HTR7000s for the rear surrounds as the back wall is very far away from the main viewing/listening area in question.

Thanks again.
The following user(s) said Thank You: rjohn79395, T Cobe

Keelover Posted 8 years 3 weeks ago

rjohn79395 wrote: Hey, Keelover,

That's an AWESOME system you are planning! Two T1's or T2+'s plus a SSXXL will give you just amazing bass coverage. A bass head's dream.. I've auditioned the SSXXL, and it is amazing. Hold onto your hat with a Triton sub/SSXXL combo.

Re the choice of ATMOS ceiling height speakers, I think we all would love to see Moderator Dude's suggestions on this, since GEt has by far the most experience with speaker selection for ATMOS set-ups. My own inclination would be Invisa HTR 7000's, with a ceiling height of 8'. We'll see what Moderator Dude has to say. I too am debating what GEt speakers to add if I want to add a second set of ATMOS speakers (I have Invisa 525's as top middle ATMOS channels now with a 9' ceiling and am considering HTR 7000's as a second pair if I want to add another ATMOS pair). Comments welcome on that also, Moderator Dude! Any/all commets and suggestions welcome. We're all learning about best ways to incorporate ATMOS.

I'm not clear on what GEt speakers you have auditioned at this point, but the way the entire speaker line-up's voicing just plain works and blends together amazes me.

Good luck! You are heading for some fantastic audio experiences!

Happy listening!

Rick

Thank you Rick for the feedback, especially with regards to the SSXXL as I've not been able to audition this item. Of what I have listed, the SSXXL is the only item my dealer did not have in their showroom.

Also, I've been going back and forth lately regarding my choice of sub. At this point I have it narrowed down to the SSXXL and the SVS SB13-Ultra. Both seem like relatively heavy hitters given their respective footprints.
The following user(s) said Thank You: T Cobe

• rjohn79395's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • rjohn79395
    • Thank you received: 4322
rjohn79395 Posted 8 years 3 weeks ago
Last edit: 8 years 3 weeks ago by Moderator. info_outline

Keelover wrote: Thank you Rick for the feedback, especially with regards to the SSXXL as I've not been able to audition this item. Of what I have listed, the SSXXL is the only item my dealer did not have in their showroom.

Also, I've been going back and forth lately regarding my choice of sub. At this point I have it narrowed down to the SSXXL and the SVS SB13-Ultra. Both seem like relatively heavy hitters given their respective footprints.

Hey, Keelover

Re subs, I heard the SSXXL paired with T3+'s (plus a SCXL and Supersat 3 surrounds). The total bass impact would be several notches higher paired with T1's or T2+'s. The SSXXL reaches DEEP, and clean, and always with a complete tonal and musical balance with the other GEt speakers. Seamless.

SVS subs get good reviews. I haven't heard the SB13-ULTRA. I guess my one recommendation, if you mix speaker brands, is to audition the SVS WITH the GEt speakers you are getting and see how you like the combination. Achieving a seamless sound field is well worth the time and effort spent to get there.

I would guess positioning either sub at the rear, near to equidistant between the T1's or T2+'s positions in front, would be a good place to start looking for best bass balance in the room. All rooms are some different in terms of room modes and doing some experimenting with sub and front main postioning is part of the game.

Happy listening and good luck!

Rick
5.4.4 HT speakers: T Ref fronts/LFE 1, SuperCenter Ref, T1 surrounds/LFE 2 + SuperSub XXL, HTR 7000 top fronts, HTR 8000 top rears
Zone 2 speakers; 2 Invisa 525's
AVR: Marantz SR 8015
Amp: AT525NC 5 channel
Cable/TiVo, OPPO BDP 105D, Bluesound Node 2i, Apple tv 4K streamer
48" SONY 4K OLED TV
The following user(s) said Thank You: T Cobe

Moderators: Moderator
menu
close
Menu
person_outline
arrow_back
You are here: Home Forum Support Invisa Series Dolby Atmos ceiling speaker choice