file Need advice for stealth fresh build

• SouthRider's Avatar Offline school
    • Thank you received: 10
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
SouthRider Posted 8 years 4 months ago
Great to hear - Thanx!

I can definitely do mpx for front L/R, and can probably do 7000's in ceiling for rear surrounds. Ceiling height is 11' though, and the right wall is about 7' away from the center of the primary listening area - so it may be tight. Have to figure out the angle/distance equation with an 11' ceiling...

Two subs will kill the WAF - I was thinking of trying to hide a SuperSub xxl in the return air plenum in the front left corner of the room (plenum is 30x30, has a 24 x30 grille, and no filter in it - has a concrete floor & is drywalled). Will try that & see how it works.
The following user(s) said Thank You: T Cobe

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

SouthRider Posted 7 years 5 months ago
Ok - so the build went great!

HTR 7000s for Atmos height and surrounds, supersat 60's for front L,C,R, and a supersub XXL inside the air conditioner return plenum behind the grill sitting on the concrete slab (amazing how well it blends in with the rest of the setup - you cannot tell where the bass is coming from).

I am thrilled with the system.

I am trying to tighten up my home for energy purposes, and my energy consultant tells me that I have to cover my HTR 1000's with something more than batt insulation. I currently have a batt lying on top of the 7000's, with loose cellulose around and over the batt.

He says that this will draw moisture into the home through the speaker openings, and that I need a sealed box around the speakers.

Was considering making appropriate size boxes out of 1" thick foam board, and caulking them in place over the top of the speakers (to the drywall and/or ceiling joists.

In another thread I saw 1.7 cu ft. mdf boxes mentioned with speaker baffle material inside.

Please give me your thoughts on these 2 methods - the foam boxes would be easier.....
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, rjohn79395

• Moderator's Avatar Offline
    • Thank you received: 3418
Moderator Posted 7 years 5 months ago
Surprised about the energy issue, perhaps climate/location related. I believe either method will work (although actual energy related differences are outside my knowledge base) as long as the enclosure size is at least the 1.7 cu.ft. and the hard surfaces are damped (insulation or fibre fill).
The following user(s) said Thank You: SouthRider

SouthRider Posted 7 years 5 months ago
Not so much an energy issue as a potential moisture issue.

Openings allow cool conditioned dry air into the attic, which when it mixes with warm moist attic air will cause condensation, and possibly mold. I am in South Louisiana, and our number one problem is heat and humidity.

So - I plan to build my boxes out of 1" foil backed foam board (foil facing the attic), caulk them in, and then cover them with loose cellulose insulation.

Thanx!

Clark

PS - still have my flooded Triton 2's. Henry A. & I plan to build them into Triton 2W's at some point in the next few months.

Moderators: Moderator
menu
close
Menu
person_outline
arrow_back
You are here: Home Forum Support Invisa Series Need advice for stealth fresh build