lightbulb HTR 7000 for surround in 5.1: how wide is too wide

• RMG's Avatar Offline school
    • Thank you received: 2
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
RMG Posted 9 years 10 months ago
Just auditioned a total HTR 7000 system and it sounded great so I picked up a pair for surround duties in my 5.1 system. These will be installed in a rather large great room that also shares space with our kitchen: 23' deep x 48' wide with 12' ceilings. Needless to say, I can place the surrounds as wide as optimal. What would be optimal though? Per the instructions, I plan to place them in-line with the seating location or slightly behind and aimed at the seating location. The instructions are fairly vague after that. Am I correct in believing the drivers have 30 degree offset from the ceiling and have 60 degree dispersion angle? I've done some calculations based on these, but wanted to get your thoughts. Thanks!
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Moderator's Avatar Offline
    • Thank you received: 3418
Moderator Posted 9 years 10 months ago
Yes, 30 degree offset from ceiling, which helps to cast the image in front rather than from above, with proper ceiling height and listening distance. For a 5.1 system, in Dolby's new thinking, you want to place the surrounds wide left and right and behind the listeners. (As opposed to Dolby's old thinking, which surrounds should be on the side - which they now only recommend in a 7.1 configuration.) We would suggest placing them wide spaced behind the listener and pointed towards the center listening position.

• RMG's Avatar Offline school
    • Thank you received: 2
RMG Posted 9 years 10 months ago
Great - thanks for the insight. I'll go with that setup.
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth

Moderators: Moderator
menu
close
Menu
person_outline
arrow_back
You are here: Home Forum Support Invisa Series HTR 7000 for surround in 5.1: how wide is too wide