question-circle Invisa MPX as main speakers (front L and R)?

• elef3u's Avatar Offline school
    • Thank you received: 4
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
elef3u Posted 10 years 6 months ago
Though the description of the Invisa MPX in-wall speaker states they can be used as front main speakers, I've never seen a bipolar/bi-directional speaker meant as a main speaker before, only as rear surrounds.

Is the MPX the suggested GoldenEar in-wall speaker for front left and right use? What speaker should I use then as my rear surrounds (in-ceiling)? Thinking the HTR7000s. Will use a SuperSat 50 as my center.

Room is 19.5' wide by 16.5' deep with 19' flat ceiling. Front speakers are 16' apart, 5' high on wall. Rears are also 16' apart in a 9' ceiling about a foot behind the sofa with a wall 2' behind them.

Input appreciated!

-Charlie

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Moderator's Avatar Offline
    • Thank you received: 3418
Moderator Posted 10 years 6 months ago
Last edit: 10 years 6 months ago by Moderator. info_outline
Hi, welcome, thanks for the question.

The MPX are actually not bipolar, not really bidirectional either. They have a single forward firing, wide dispersion HVFR tweeter and two midrange/bass drivers that are angled slightly (hence the "Multi-polar" description) to provide horizontal dispersion on par with the folded ribbon tweeter, given their mounting on a very large baffle (the wall). They are fantastic as front main speakers for an in-wall theater, or for 2ch in-wall stereo playback, as well as their common use as in-wall surround/rear speakers.

For in-ceiling surrounds our first choice would be the HTR 7000, in your setup I would point them towards the middle/center of the room (although if you prefer a diffuse surround effect, point them into the corners behind). The room setup and dimensions you describe sounds good, the system will sound great (I presume there's going to be a sub up front somewhere as well).
The following user(s) said Thank You: elef3u

elef3u Posted 10 years 6 months ago
Great, that's good news! I visited Soundscape yesterday with every intention of loving the Definitive line, but when Ed let me compare the sound of the Definitive to some other brands, the GoldenEars really shined. I think I've made my decision. It's a shame that I can't seem to find anyone that has the MPX installed so I can hear them. Also considering the SuperSat 50 on-walls. How would that sound compare, using them as my front L and R instead of the MPX?

Just need to pick a sub and receiver. I really like the reviews and specs on the SVS PB-2000 for the price point, though I'm considering the ForceField 5... I need a lot of bass to fill up the huge room I'm working with. Sadly, two subwoofers is not an option.

Thanks for the help!

-Charlie.

• Moderator's Avatar Offline
    • Thank you received: 3418
Moderator Posted 10 years 6 months ago
Yes, unfortunately its not unusual for dealers to not have in-wall demos setup. Sorry.

SuperSat 50's is a great setup if onwall is better than in-wall for you. The satellite speakers will require a higher crossover point so its important the sub be front/center-ish for best results. ForceField is pretty over the top as far as output goes. I recently did a comparison at a local dealer of the FF5 and a $2499 12" sub from a very popular specialty store brand. The ForceField 5 spanked it pretty hard, it was embarrassing. Never heard the SVS, since its (generally) not sold in stores it becomes all but impossible to discern its real value in comparison. There a few reviews on the site of systems including the FF5, if you want some other opinions. And of course there are owners on this forum that might have a thing or two to say.

For receivers, based on our experience we recommend models from Anthem, Arcam, Integra, Marantz, NAD and Pioneer Elite.

• WayneWilmeth's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 7040
WayneWilmeth Posted 10 years 5 months ago
Hi Charlie,
I can speak a little to the volume/power of the ForceField 5. IF you are worried about filling that large space with bass, the FF5 is likely exactly what you need. I can tell you, the question is NOT can it play loud enough and fill your space, the question is, are things in and around and adjacent to your room nailed down well enough not to fall off the walls???? I can't turn up the FF5 more than 9:00 before windows start rattling and things start shaking more than the wife can stand.
And the Moderator Dude has given you a very good list of associated equipment to try. IF it is any help, I like the Marantz.
Hope this helps and please let us know how it works out, how you like your new setup. And SETUP is the word, nearly every installation needs some dialing in and patience is required to get the best sound. Not a lot, but some patience, listening, etc.
And that is part of the fun, remember to enjoy the music and movies while you are dialing in.
God Bless,
Wayne
God bless the child that's got his own.

elef3u Posted 10 years 5 months ago
Well, I've made my purchase(s) except for the sub:

2 Invisa MPX for in-wall front mains
1 SuperSat 50 for center
2 Invisa 650 for rear in-ceiling surrounds
Marantz SR5008 receiver

I'm not looking for raw power and volume, I'm looking for the lowest lows I can get from a $500-700 subwoofer. The SVS PB-2000 looks like it's the ticket. I want to feel the subsonic rumble more than I want to turn it up to 11! The ForceField 5 is just too expensive for me to spend on a sub as I'm already at the top of my budget...!

-Charlie
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth

Moderators: Moderator
menu
close
Menu
person_outline
arrow_back
You are here: Home Forum Support Invisa Series Invisa MPX as main speakers (front L and R)?