file connection/room advice

• mtmoore's Avatar Offline school
    • Thank you received: 2
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
mtmoore Posted 6 years 9 months ago
I am getting close to buying the Triton References. My question is (A) I have a 16x16x8 dedicated listening room and is this room too small for these speakers ? and (2) I will be using these in a 2 channel only system using a Jeff Rowland preamp and mono block amps, should I only hook up the speaker cables from my amps to theTritons or should hook up my secondary preamp outputs the Triton in addition to the speaker cables ?
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• AudioJim's Avatar Offline
    • Thank you received: 42
AudioJim Posted 6 years 9 months ago
Hi mtmoore,

I have the References in my room which is similar in dimensions to yours. My room is 16x22x9, doing double duty as home theater and 2 channel stereo. I would say that your room would work very well. The References can fill a large room but also work equally well in smaller rooms (I would not consider your room to be small).

If you go with the References (a great choice IMHO), I would suggest trying as wide a spacing as possible with the References and toeing them in. I have my references about 10 inches from the side walls and the PLP is about 11 feet from the Tritons. The sound field is amazing. I believe the thing that makes this work so well is the extreme toe-in and the sound absorbers I have on the side walls that help minimize reflections due to the close proximity to the wall. Before I put the sound absorbers up, the sound staging was great but with them it took it to another level. Toe in is such that I can just see a small portion of the inside wall of the speakers at the PLP.

As far as the single ended RCA connection, it is highly unlikely to give you any benefit since you are two channel only. In fact, a subwoofer output would be required on your preamp to even consider using it. I have mine connected but only send a signal through it when I am using the home theater (ie, watching a movie).

Hope this helps. Enjoy!
Jim
Main System
Video: Epson 6040UB, SI 120 inch
Source: PS DS, Logitech Transporter, Marantz UD5005, xBox One, PC
Front end: Marantz 8802A, BHK Pre
Amplification: MM7055 (surround), BHK 300 (Front LR)
Speakers: TRef, ReferenceCenter, HTR7000 (4 atmos), SPS (surround/surround rear)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Moderator, WayneWilmeth, rjohn79395, HTSME

• mtmoore's Avatar Offline school
    • Thank you received: 2
mtmoore Posted 6 years 9 months ago
Thank you very much Jim for the informative reply. I think these speakers will be a nice addition to my room.
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth

• anthem's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 9175
anthem Posted 6 years 9 months ago
Audiojim:
Great advice. Your spacing, toe-in, and sound absorption advice are "Top Notch."
I believe there's ALMOST no room that's to small. The T Refs will fit practically anywhere.

Mtmoore:
The only thing I might add is:
1) Make sure you dust your T Refs at least once a week.
2) On a daily basis, tell them how gorgeous they are...They Like That.
D-Sonic m3a-600m Mono > McIntosh MC152 > Primaluna ProLogue Premium Preamp > Oppo UDP205 > Decware ZLC > Triton Reference > Isoacoustics Gaia 2 > Canare 4S11 Speaker Cables > Audience Forte 3, Anticable L3 & Shunyata Venom PC's

Every great performance deserves an Audience!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Moderator, WayneWilmeth, rjohn79395, HTSME

• WayneWilmeth's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 7040
WayneWilmeth Posted 6 years 9 months ago
Welcome Audio Jim and mtmoore.
Great to have you here, good decision on the TRefs mtmoore, you are gonna love them I am sure!!!!!
Jim and Bro Anthem, great advice!!!!! I can't add anything useful.
Really good job guys!!!!
'Enjoy,
God Bless,
Wayne
God bless the child that's got his own.
The following user(s) said Thank You: rjohn79395, HTSME

• HTSME's Avatar Offline
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
    • Thank you received: 287
HTSME Posted 6 years 9 months ago
Mtmore...you room size is fine for the Titon Ref speakers. Nothing else to add except break them in before you start doing any critical listening. I am totally impressed with the T-One speaker sound stage. Started at 8 ft and pushed it to 9 ft and it does make a difference. The wider the better. The first two responses pretty much said it all.

Sit back and enjoy them.

Del
The following user(s) said Thank You: Moderator, WayneWilmeth, rjohn79395

Moderators: Moderator
menu
close
Menu
person_outline
arrow_back
You are here: Home Forum Support Triton Series connection/room advice