file Triton References

• mbroadus's Avatar Offline
    • Thank you received: 30
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
mbroadus Posted 6 years 1 month ago
Great looking setup...I'm currently looking at the Ref and T1+ and would like to know if there's a significant difference in the sound, i.e. jaw drops, or minimal difference, i.e. I can hear a difference but only minimal improvement over the T1+? I know its difficult to quantify and your first post is probably your answer but I thought I would ask anyway. Another reason I ask is, I know the T1+ is enough power for my small space but I prefer the sleek "no sock" look of the Refs. Thanks.
Sony 65A8H OLED
Panasonic P60VT60 Calibrated by Chad B
Anthem MRX-720, Naim Uniti Nova, Oppo UDP-203
Focal Aria 936, Focal Aria CC900
AppleTV 3 & 4K, Sony PS4 Pro
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, rjohn79395

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• rjohn79395's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • rjohn79395
    • Thank you received: 4322
rjohn79395 Posted 6 years 1 month ago
Last edit: 6 years 1 month ago by rjohn79395. info_outline

mbroadus wrote: Great looking setup...I'm currently looking at the Ref and T1+ and would like to know if there's a significant difference in the sound, i.e. jaw drops, or minimal difference, i.e. I can hear a difference but only minimal improvement over the T1+? I know its difficult to quantify and your first post is probably your answer but I thought I would ask anyway. Another reason I ask is, I know the T1+ is enough power for my small space but I prefer the sleek "no sock" look of the Refs. Thanks.

Hi, mbroadus

'Is there a difference? Yes! Having had both the 1"s and Ref's as front mains, the Ref's have a bigger, fuller sound stage, almost 3d like, like there are other speakers filling in, even more commanding bass, more smooth, velvety, crystal clear, detailed sound. But both are WAY above what you could reasonably expect from speakers in their price range. BTW the T1's have the latest crossovers and driver upgrades, there are no +'s (yet?), so my experience with the 1's is the same as what you would hear.

From another post, since you already have the Ref's, how do you like them? And, yes, they are truly Class A speakers.

Rick
5.4.4 HT speakers: T Ref fronts/LFE 1, SuperCenter Ref, T1 surrounds/LFE 2 + SuperSub XXL, HTR 7000 top fronts, HTR 8000 top rears
Zone 2 speakers; 2 Invisa 525's
AVR: Marantz SR 8015
Amp: AT525NC 5 channel
Cable/TiVo, OPPO BDP 105D, Bluesound Node 2i, Apple tv 4K streamer
48" SONY 4K OLED TV
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, mbroadus

rjohn79395 wrote:

mbroadus wrote: Great looking setup...I'm currently looking at the Ref and T1+ and would like to know if there's a significant difference in the sound, i.e. jaw drops, or minimal difference, i.e. I can hear a difference but only minimal improvement over the T1+? I know its difficult to quantify and your first post is probably your answer but I thought I would ask anyway. Another reason I ask is, I know the T1+ is enough power for my small space but I prefer the sleek "no sock" look of the Refs. Thanks.

Hi, mbroadus

'Is there a difference? Yes! Having had both the 1"s and Ref's as front mains, the Ref's have a bigger, fuller sound stage, almost 3d like, like there are other speakers filling in, even more commanding bass, more smooth, velvety, crystal clear, detailed sound. But both are WAY above what you could reasonably expect from speakers in their price range. BTW the T1's have the latest crossovers and driver upgrades, there are no +'s (yet?), so my experience with the 1's is the same as what you would hear.

From another post, since you already have the Ref's, how do you like them? And, yes, they are truly Class A speakers.

Rick

Thanks Rick, appreciate your response. Unfortunately, my local dealer only has the 1s. I’m currently researching to see if there are any dealers within a 2 hour drive that have the TRefs. GEs headquarters are not far from me but doubt they will let me listen to them there.

Mike
Sony 65A8H OLED

• rjohn79395's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • rjohn79395
    • Thank you received: 4322
rjohn79395 Posted 6 years 1 month ago
Hi, Mike

Guess I got it wrong that you already tried/had the Ref’s.

No matter. Just a word of caution, if you get a chance to listen to the Ref’s, well, watch out, they are indeed mesmerizing.

And if you audition the 1’s and love them, they are amazing also.

No wrong choices.

Rick
5.4.4 HT speakers: T Ref fronts/LFE 1, SuperCenter Ref, T1 surrounds/LFE 2 + SuperSub XXL, HTR 7000 top fronts, HTR 8000 top rears
Zone 2 speakers; 2 Invisa 525's
AVR: Marantz SR 8015
Amp: AT525NC 5 channel
Cable/TiVo, OPPO BDP 105D, Bluesound Node 2i, Apple tv 4K streamer
48" SONY 4K OLED TV
The following user(s) said Thank You: Moderator, WayneWilmeth

• Ewardjr69's Avatar Offline school
    • Thank you received: 51
Ewardjr69 Posted 6 years 1 month ago
The References are in a class by themselves. I’ve owned the T2’s I thought I would have them for 10 years but then I heard the T1’s and I was blown away. Bought the T1s and thought I would have them forever and I heard the References and instantly fell in love with them. Before I committted to spending the money I had a couple sessions at my dealer who had all three in stock T2,T1 and References. They are all great speakers but the references are in their own class. I would recommend trying to listen to them but I wouldn’t hesitate to recommend them. I’m about 70:30 HT - Music. Just my two cents
(2) GoldenEar References, GoldenEar SuperCenter XXL, (4) GoldenEar HTR 7000, Dual Seaton Sumbersive HP (Master / Slave), Sony VPL 55es, Dalite 119 inch UTC, Darby Darblet, Oppo 103, Integra 80.3, Emotiva XPR 2, Emotiva XPA 5, Panamax 5102, Harmony Elite.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Moderator, WayneWilmeth, rjohn79395

Ewardjr69 wrote: The References are in a class by themselves. I’ve owned the T2’s I thought I would have them for 10 years but then I heard the T1’s and I was blown away. Bought the T1s and thought I would have them forever and I heard the References and instantly fell in love with them. Before I committted to spending the money I had a couple sessions at my dealer who had all three in stock T2,T1 and References. They are all great speakers but the references are in their own class. I would recommend trying to listen to them but I wouldn’t hesitate to recommend them. I’m about 70:30 HT - Music. Just my two cents

Thanks for your thoughts...I wish my dealer had a pair of the Reference so I could compare them to the 1s with an Anthem receiver. Like you, I’m 70/30 HT - music.
Sony 65A8H OLED

Moderators: Moderator
menu
close
Menu
person_outline
arrow_back
You are here: Home Forum Support Triton Series Triton References