file Supersub XXL placement question

• kaniggit's Avatar Offline school
    • Thank you received: 6
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
kaniggit Posted 9 years 4 months ago
Hello all,

I've been lurking for a while and trying to learn everything I can from this very helpful forum, but I have a question or two I'm hoping you guys may be able to help me with.

We currently have a new house under construction with a built-in entertainment center in the greatroom being designed. I would like to have a pair of Triton 1's as my left and right mains as well a Supersub XXL (when available) for extra oomph in movies. However, in order to pass the WAF, these MUST be hidden behind speaker grill cloth within the entertainment center... So I'm trying to figure out if how well the Supersub XXL will work in an enclosed space. From what I've read it is designed to have the drivers side firing, rather than front firing like the Forcefield series.

So with all this in mind, my questions are:

1) The Supersub XXL is listed at 18 7/8" wide, so how wide of a compartment would I need to allow the sub to function adequately?

2) If I don't have enough room, could the sub be placed "sideways" without inhibiting function significantly?

3) Would some acoustic treatments (if room allows) on the interior of the entertainment center compartments help prevent any "boominess" due to the enclosed space?

Thanks again for any help.
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, T Cobe

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• WayneWilmeth's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 7040
WayneWilmeth Posted 9 years 4 months ago
Hi Kaniggit and welcome to the forum!!!! That name sounds like one from not too far South of where I live, which is Thailand. I'm probably wrong.
You have a great project going and I am sure it will turn out FANTASTIC!!!!!
You are choosing the right speakers.
The Moderator Dude will probably have to answer your questions about the XXL sub, as we members have never seen or heard it.
There is "acoustically transparent" cloth available for such a project as yours. I am sure if you do it correctly, both you and your wife will love the results.
But it will take some planning, as you are doing now. Don't wait too long, and make all your wires longer than you think they need to be (I made that mistake, put wires under the concrete floor and now I wish they were longer).
Enjoy the ride, and PLEASE let us know how it turns out????
God Bless,
Wayne
God bless the child that's got his own.
The following user(s) said Thank You: T Cobe, kaniggit

• T Cobe's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 4381
T Cobe Posted 9 years 4 months ago
Last edit: 9 years 4 months ago by T Cobe. info_outline
Kaniggit,

Welcome to the forum! I'm glad you've stepped out of the shadows and are no longer lurking. Sounds like a great project!

The Moderator will have to advise on the SuperSubXXL in an enclosure. My guess I s...not good but we'll see. Based on the reports on how powerfully the sub is, I'd be worried for the entertainment center! :laugh: It may be better to camoflauge it behind a couch with a sofa table.

I can say with 100% certainty that if you use the Triton Ones with an LFE cable, you will have incredible bass. I have my gain knob at 12:00 and the receiver set to -6dB for the LFE sub outs and I'm still about 7 dB hot! I've considered running Triton Twos as the surrounds just to provide better dispersion versus all the bass coming from up front but no additional volume is needed.

Anyways, that's my 2 cents. Sounds like an amazing project. Please let us know how things proceed, how it sounds, and of course please post some pics! Good luck and enjoy the journey.

Cheers,

T Cobe

P.S. If WAF is an issue, you may want to have her look at the T1s in person first; they are large... :blink:
Speakers: Triton One L/R, SCXL, Aon 3 Surr/Back, HTR-7000 Height
Pre/Pro/AVR: Anthem AVM 60, Emotiva XSP-1
Amps: Emotiva XPA-5(2), Emotiva XPA-1L (2)
Sources: Oppo BDP-103D, Emotiva ERC-3, PS4, Pioneer PLX-1000 w/Ortofon 2M Bronze
Display: Epson 6030 UB, Elite Screens 110" Sable
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, kaniggit

• WayneWilmeth's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 7040
WayneWilmeth Posted 9 years 4 months ago
AND you can make the XXL into a coffee table!!!
You an balance a nickle on it while it is playing!!!!
Have fun,
God Bless,
Wayne
God bless the child that's got his own.
The following user(s) said Thank You: T Cobe, fredting, kaniggit

• kaniggit's Avatar Offline school
    • Thank you received: 6
kaniggit Posted 9 years 4 months ago
Thanks for the feedback guys. Hopefully the Moderator can shed some light on whether I can make the XXL work in this situation.
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, T Cobe

• T Cobe's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 4381
T Cobe Posted 9 years 4 months ago
Our Moderator has been MIA for almost 6 days now... Must be a lot going on at GET. :unsure:
Speakers: Triton One L/R, SCXL, Aon 3 Surr/Back, HTR-7000 Height
Pre/Pro/AVR: Anthem AVM 60, Emotiva XSP-1
Amps: Emotiva XPA-5(2), Emotiva XPA-1L (2)
Sources: Oppo BDP-103D, Emotiva ERC-3, PS4, Pioneer PLX-1000 w/Ortofon 2M Bronze
Display: Epson 6030 UB, Elite Screens 110" Sable
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, kaniggit

Moderators: Moderator
menu
close
Menu
person_outline
arrow_back
You are here: Home Forum Support ForceField Subs Supersub XXL placement question