file Triton Three wired with 6 Ohm speakers as LR?

• incidentflux's Avatar Offline school
    • Thank you received: 15
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
incidentflux Posted 7 years 6 months ago
Hello, what are the risks and rewards of wiring Triton Three (Gen 1) with 6 Ohm Speakers (Aiwa SX-N999) to the Left and Right (shared on binding posts) of any amplifier.

Ideally I want to route LR signals twice one pair to T3s, another to the Aiwa's. But the AVR software doesn't allow that, so I ended up using Aiwa SX-N999 as LR front presence speakers. Which seems limiting and is DSP dependent. I rather have known LR sounds replicated twice.

I do this, because it creates a wall of sound with all speakers playing at the same time. This also allows me flexibility to sit on the floor or higher on a seat and sound envelope stays immersive.

Will parallel wiring damage either Triton Towers or Aiwa monitors?
Or damage the Yamaha RX-A840 AVR.

I know this is an unusual setup, but it fills the room.

Hifi Setup
Yamaha RX-A840
GoldenEar Triton Three (LR)
Aiwa SX-N999 (LR Presence)
GoldenEar SuperSat 50C (Center)
Realtek ALC1150, Audigy 2 ZS, Yamaha RX-A840, GoldenEar Triton Three (LR), Aiwa SX-N999 (FLR Presence), GoldenEar SuperSat 50C | QED, Bandridge, Real Cables | Samsung 5+ 60" Plasma | Creative Inspire T7700 | Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro 80 Ohms, Shure SE 215 | Sound Blaster Roar, ExoBT
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• WayneWilmeth's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 7040
WayneWilmeth Posted 7 years 6 months ago
Is this written by incidentflux or "accidentflux"???
Ha ha
Sorry, couldn't resist that.
I doubt that setup is one recommended by any manufacturer, it MIGHT not damage anything (most likely the receiver if anything). But I would think good surround sound would be a more effective use of the speakers. Just my humble opinion.
It is your money, try it.
God Bless,
Wayne
God bless the child that's got his own.

• ArthurDaniels's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 1811
ArthurDaniels Posted 7 years 5 months ago
I don't think parallel-wiring two speakers to the same speaker L/R terminals is a good idea at any time. Parallel-speaker wiring will reduce the impedance load seen by the amplifier by 50% on that terminal.

Two alternative suggestions to achieve the effect you want:

1. If your amplifier/receiver has A & B speaker terminals and if you can select both A & B speakers to play simultaneously, then wire the second set of speakers to the B terminals.

2. If you have another receiver or amplifier you are not using, then connect that unit via RCA type line-level cables to your main unit, then connect the second set of speakers to the second amplifier. This approach provides the additional option to set the volume levels for the two sets of speakers independently.

If you do not have a second amp, you can pick up a two-channel amplifier very inexpensively from a wide variety of sources.

Best,

Art
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, rjohn79395

Moderators: Moderator
menu
close
Menu
person_outline
arrow_back
You are here: Home Forum Clubhouse Write Your Own Review Triton Series Triton Three wired with 6 Ohm speakers as LR?