file Triton Sevens

• Figjam's Avatar Offline
    • Thank you received: 2
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
Figjam Posted 10 years 5 months ago
For starters, I'm not an audiophile, but I do enjoy quality and I wanted to upgrade from my Mission 765i speakers. Secondly, I don't have endless amounts of cash to spend on equipment so I wanted to balance cost and value with my purchase. So I did some research, and I auditioned a few sets including Paradigm, ML Motion 40's, and the Triton 2's. I found the top tier Paradigm's amazing, but out of my price reach, and the bottom end models didn't really seem to be anything special to me. The ML 40's were good, and I thought they would be similar to what I could expect with the T7's since the specs and setups were similar. (I actually thought the MLs looked better, but I value the sound quality more) So then I proceed to audition the Triton 2's at a local shop and I was blown away. The sound was incredible, and I learned first hand what "sound stage" was all about, remember - I'm not an audioholic and somewhat new to anything beyond the big box products, but even an untrained ear could tell these were something special. They didn't have the Triton 7's at the time, so I took a bit of a leap based on the reviews and placed my order for them. :woohoo:

They arrived a few weeks ago and I've been tweaking the settings and getting some hours on them to break them in. I use these speakers for everything: Music, HT, and gaming - and I use them everyday. Given my room limitations, I have these about 9' apart, slightly toed in, about 3' away from the side walls, and about 8' away from the listening position. My taste in music is also very diverse, anything from rock, alternative, folk, rap, R&B, electronic - you name it. I find the sound overall is really quite good :cheer: and better than anything I've had to date, but in all honesty, it doesn't blow me away like my experience with the Triton 2's. Perhaps it is my taste in music, or that over recorded electronic music doesn't lend itself well to the HVFR tweeters, or maybe I'm just not fully used to treble that is razor sharp and so responsive and I need some time to adjust. I am also just using these speakers in stereo for all my needs, since I haven't order the new super center yet. (I always listen to music in stereo, I mean for HT and gaming) Secondly, I am using a modest Onkyo NR-1008 to drive the pair. The bass is inline with the reviews - that is to say that these speakers dig tremendously low, and especially for their size they are incredible. I really can't believe what they can do given such a slender profile and they do have an incredible sound stage that even my wife was blown away by! But they aren't a replacement for a subwoofer like their bigger brothers can be, so perhaps given my use of them, that is the obvious difference and the reason I wasn't blown away....I was probably expecting unrealistic results on the bottom end.

So to remedy, and the get that sound I was really looking for, I was thinking of adding a SVS PB-2000 subwoofer, and from there, perhaps getting an Emotiva amplifier to help get the most out of them. Any tips or suggestions at this point, or any other T7 users have a similar experience that have their system complimented with a really good sub?
The following user(s) said Thank You: Moderator

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Moderator's Avatar Offline
    • Thank you received: 3418
Moderator Posted 10 years 5 months ago
It would be foolish not to compare the ForceField 4 or 5 :)

Thanks for the nice comments, enjoy.
The following user(s) said Thank You: anthem, Figjam

• WayneWilmeth's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 7040
WayneWilmeth Posted 10 years 5 months ago
Heck Figjam,
I have a ForceField 5 with the Triton 2s. You cannot have too much bass man!!!!
Ha ha, that might not be true, and for sure, not true for everyone, but from the kinds of music you like, I think you need to do as the Moderator Dude suggested and try some ForceFields.
Now, I don't mean to offend any T7 users out there, several of my brothers on here LOVE THEM!!!!!
BUT, some of us have got to dig deeper.
Enjoy the ride, you might find out you are an audiophile after all.
God Bless,
Wayne
God bless the child that's got his own.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Figjam

• Visitor
  • Visitor
MOBrien Posted 10 years 5 months ago
I agree with the Moderator. Look into a ForceField Sub. A full GE system would be fantastic. An FF sub would supplement the bottom end of your 7's. I have the GE T2's, so I cannot personally give you my experience with the 7's.
What source and format are you using for your music? I have a friend that has the 7's. When he first got them he was not very impressed, compared to what he heard at my house and at the dealer. I went to his house and found out he was playing low bit rate MP3's through his iPod. As soon as we brought out the Cd's it made a huge difference. He is saving up for a FF sub.
As for the Emotiva amp. I'm a huge fan of Emotiva amps. I have a XPA-5. Like GE, Emotive offers great bang for your buck.

• Figjam's Avatar Offline
    • Thank you received: 2
Figjam Posted 10 years 5 months ago
I appreciate the feedback from all of you. :) Most of my music collection is on a hard drive and 95% of it would be in FLAC format, as I try to avoid MP3's as much as possible - and if I do, I try to keep them at 320Kbps. I also realize that there is varying quality within the FLAC format itself, but most of mine seems to come out at 44Khz, with a few exceptions. The exceptions in this case, where the sampling is higher than 44Khz sounds absolutely amazing!! :woohoo: I also stream the Sony unlimited site using high quality, which is supposed to be CD quality and it sounds good too.

I will definitely re-audition the FF subs. When I first heard them, I thought the T2s did such an amazing job on the lower end, that the FF sub added a bit to the experience, but the T2's were capable of handling it all on their own if need be. I'm sure the FF subs would bolster this system perfectly, so I will be exploring this avenue.

As for the amp, I'm a little confused. Will I hear more detail if I use a separate high quality amp such as an Emotiva XPA-5, even if I very rarely listen at loud volumes? IE. I play music at a fairly relaxed volume, higher than background noise, but not loud by any means. Would the gains here be the next logical step after the sub, or perhaps prior?

Thanks again all!

• Moderator's Avatar Offline
    • Thank you received: 3418
Moderator Posted 10 years 5 months ago
Last edit: 10 years 5 months ago by Moderator. info_outline

Figjam wrote: As for the amp, I'm a little confused. Will I hear more detail if I use a separate high quality amp such as an Emotiva XPA-5, even if I very rarely listen at loud volumes? IE. I play music at a fairly relaxed volume, higher than background noise, but not loud by any means. Would the gains here be the next logical step after the sub, or perhaps prior?

Thanks again all!

Regardless of volume, better electronics will make the speakers sound better, probably a lot better than your current modest receiver. But big power is not the answer (we typically use some VERY expensive modest-powered amps to show off Triton Twos at trade shows), especially if you are not planning to scare the neighbors with the volume. Its all about quality. A higher end receiver from Anthem, Arcam, Marantz, NAD or Pioneer Elite would be an improvement. A step up to really good separates is a pretty big leap, the Emotiva stuff the forum members like is the very beginning of that level of gear (price and performance). If you aren't prepared to spend close to 5 digits on separates (or more), look at a receiver upgrade. Something in the $2-3K range will get you something very good.

Moderators: Moderator
menu
close
Menu
person_outline
arrow_back