file Who is using a stand alone subwoofer (or woofers) with their Triton towers?

• WayneWilmeth's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 7040
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
WayneWilmeth Posted 6 years 4 months ago
Hi Richd,
I have TOnes and have also implemented a single SVS SB16 Ultra in the middle of the rear of my home theater.
I find it is just what the doctor ordered in my Bass Head situation.
Love it.
Hope you find what works best for you,
God Bless,
Wayne
God bless the child that's got his own.
The following user(s) said Thank You: HTSME

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Fafa2e's Avatar Offline
    • Thank you received: 8
Fafa2e Posted 6 years 4 months ago
I have Triton Ones and SuperCenter XXL Up Front and Triton 3+s for Surrounds and while I find the bass adequate for music, I feel like I am missing something for movies.

I have dual SVS PC4000s on order and plan to put them next to the Triton One Towers in the front of the room. I'm hoping that this will give me the impact that I feel like I am missing.

The great thing about SVS is the 45-day in-home trial period.
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth

• timbre's Avatar Offline
    • Thank you received: 7
timbre Posted 6 years 4 months ago
I've just purchased Triton 2+ towers, and I'm considering adding an ext sub.

My room is 29-1/2' long x 11-1/2' to 14' wide. There are two doorways to other rooms.
My speakers should have plenty of bass, but after Audyessy tuning, there seems to be a lack of bass in the Main Listening Position, which is midway between the side walls, and 15' from the front wall, almost exactly in the center of the room.
I'm considering adding a sub placed right beside the MLP, firing at the side of the chair. This is mainly for music listening, although it is a 7.1 HT system. I rarely watch action movies, so my bass requirement are not particularly loud or even very low in frequency. Mostly electric bass guitar and kick drum on pop, rock and jazz recordings. I don't listen at very high volumes. Just for reference, I am satisfied with the bass from my 8" 100 watt Paradigm subwoofer in another room, so I should be easy to please. Any advice is appreciated.

Now I'm trying to wrap my head around a way to hook up an external sub while my main speakers have built in powered subs. If I understand my Denon AVRX4400 correctly, if I set my mains to Large, I'll only get LFE through the ext sub unless I choose to send full bass out to all the subs, which will result in "double bass" to my towers. Ideally, I'd like to use the Audyssey room calibration to set up the main speakers running as "large," and then have the ext sub as an addon, with perhaps an 80 Hz low pass, delivering all bass including LFE to add a bit of fill in the center of the room. Any advice would be appreciated.
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth

• Timecop's Avatar Offline
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
    • Thank you received: 270
Timecop Posted 6 years 4 months ago
Last edit: 6 years 4 months ago by Timecop. info_outline
Run your t2’s set to full-range, and run LFE to the external sub. The tritons will still put out a ton of quality bass, and the sub will handle extremely low frequencies while delivering additional bass volume.
Triton Two front L/R
SuperSat 50c center
Triton Seven surround L/R
SuperSat 50 surround rear L/R
AVR Arcam AVR-21
Amp Marantz mm7025
Velodyne optimum 10” sealed, back left corner
SuperSub X front-right corner
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, timbre

• WayneWilmeth's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 7040
WayneWilmeth Posted 6 years 4 months ago
Hi Timbre,
I do not want to sound argumentative so early into the new year, but I think Timecop's suggestion above missed your point.
Sorry Timecop if I am reading him wrong.
IF you run your T 2+ towers (GREAT speaker BTW!!!!) Large and only hook up the sub to your LFE output, then (unless your Denon does something I am not familiar with) the sub will ONLY rec/play LFE signals, which are non-existent in two channel, stereo music. LFE is only there on movies, or the occasional SACD with 5.1 audio, or Blu ray music. ONLY where there is a X.1 channel.
And IF I read you right, you are looking to augment your music playing with a little more bottom end.
IF so, then set your T2+s to small and set the crossover at +/- 80 and set your sub for somewhere around the same, or less, maybe even down to 40 if you just want the very bottom end. Then be sure to run sub outs to the sub AND the T2+ towers.
This will let the sub play along with the music as well.
Just a personal experience comment, I would turn Audyssey OFF.
This is the way I am set up with a SVS sub and the bass is awesome.
Hope this helps,
God bless,
Wayne
God bless the child that's got his own.
The following user(s) said Thank You: timbre

• Timecop's Avatar Offline
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
    • Thank you received: 270
Timecop Posted 6 years 4 months ago
Last edit: 6 years 4 months ago by Timecop. info_outline
I have my t2’s set to large, they play plenty of bass. I have my 2 subs set to LFE only, and even in 2-channel stereo they also play plenty of bass. There is no need to set the tritons to small in order to augement bass. Obviously the most stringent receivers may route LFE only signals to the subs, but Denton/Marantz.... much more flexible.

EDIT: just checked my old onkyo in the workout room, same setup. Towers large - sub LFE. I ONLY play 2-channel stereo with this setup, and again - the sub adds low-end to the music.
Triton Two front L/R
SuperSat 50c center
Triton Seven surround L/R
SuperSat 50 surround rear L/R
AVR Arcam AVR-21
Amp Marantz mm7025
Velodyne optimum 10” sealed, back left corner
SuperSub X front-right corner
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, timbre

Moderators: Moderator
menu
close
Menu
person_outline
arrow_back
You are here: Home Forum Support Triton Series TritonCinema Who is using a stand alone subwoofer (or woofers) with their Triton towers?