file Who is using a stand alone subwoofer (or woofers) with their Triton towers?

• Richd's Avatar Offline school
    • Thank you received: 26
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
Richd Posted 6 years 4 months ago
Hi Everyone,
Just wondering if anyone is using a separate subwoofer(s) with your Triton tower systems? If so, what brands are you using?
I am contemplating a stand alone subwoofer for the back of my home theater room to fill in the missing bass and to even out the overall bass in the room. I have Triton Two Plus, XXL CC, and Supersat 3s. My room size is 16x24 feet.
Any thoughts?
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, HTSME

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Timecop's Avatar Offline
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
    • Thank you received: 270
Timecop Posted 6 years 4 months ago
Last edit: 6 years 4 months ago by Timecop. info_outline
If I was buying today, I’d strongly consider a supersub x, or xl. That said, they weren’t available when I originally setup my system. I have a sealed velodyne optimum 10” in the back left, and a sealed velodyne 8” in the opposing front-right corner. I generally only turn on the back 10” sub for movies, while the front 8” runs during 2-channel music.
Triton Two front L/R
SuperSat 50c center
Triton Seven surround L/R
SuperSat 50 surround rear L/R
AVR Arcam AVR-21
Amp Marantz mm7025
Velodyne optimum 10” sealed, back left corner
SuperSub X front-right corner
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, HTSME

• ArthurDaniels's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 1811
ArthurDaniels Posted 6 years 4 months ago
I am using a Paradigm DSP-3400 sub with my Triton Ones. The 3400 is driven by a separate amplifier and is adjusted to provide "fill-in deep bass". It sits to the side and is balanced to be not a noticeable sound source.

I owned the 3400 prior to purchasing the Triton Ones. I would not add a sub otherwise. I use the Ones and the 3400 exclusively for 2-channel music. The Ones produce plenty of bass, especially since I am driving their LFE inputs with a line out from my stereo amp.

Art
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth

Thanks for your input - you have a nice system
I am contemplating the SVS SB-16 Ultra for the back of the room.

I am also planning to use the separate sub mostly for 2-channel music. The Tritons have more than enough umph to keep up with movies, but are a little shy with LPs and some Cds at the current overall settings that I am using.
Thanks for your input.

• ArthurDaniels's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 1811
ArthurDaniels Posted 6 years 4 months ago

Richd wrote: I am also planning to use the separate sub mostly for 2-channel music. The Tritons have more than enough umph to keep up with movies, but are a little shy with LPs and some Cds at the current overall settings that I am using.
Thanks for your input.

Hi Richd,

I also found that the Ones were a bit "bass-shy" in my 2-channel setup for music. My solution has been to connect a line out from my stereo amp directly to the Ones' LFE input. This is the much-discussed "double bass" approach because it effectively doubles the total bass input to the Ones. I listen at relatively low overall volume settings. For me, this approach provides more than ample bass for music. I use my Ones exclusively for music, so I don't have any issues with conflicting settings for the Ones LFE controls. In fact, I have the Ones LFE controls turned down to Minimum. At Minimum, I have deep, but not "bloated" bass for music.

You appear to be using your Ones for both music and movies. Before you add an external sub, you might give my LFE connection approach a try. Your AV Receiver may have an internal setting for "Double Bass ON" or "Analog Bass ON". These settings send bass signals down the LFE lines and, with your front speakers set to "LARGE" or "FULL RANGE", you will have enabled double bass.

If this approach proves to be preferable for you for music, but too much bass for movies, then you would need to turn the double bass setting off for movies.

Disclaimer: Sandy Gross and the other good folks at Golden Ear do not like implementing double bass because it effectively over-rides the effects of the internal crossover network in the Ones.

Happy listening,

Art

Moderators: Moderator
menu
close
Menu
person_outline
arrow_back
You are here: Home Forum Support Triton Series TritonCinema Who is using a stand alone subwoofer (or woofers) with their Triton towers?