file Who is using a stand alone subwoofer (or woofers) with their Triton towers?

• WayneWilmeth's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 7040
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
WayneWilmeth Posted 6 years 4 months ago
Good Timecop, I stand corrected then.
Obviously you are able to send a sub signal out to the sub, not just a LFE signal.
Great,
God Bless,
Wayne
God bless the child that's got his own.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• ArthurDaniels's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 1811
ArthurDaniels Posted 6 years 4 months ago
Hello Timbre,

Regarding the presence or absence of Double Bass and connections:

Connecting your AV Receiver's Sub out to your Triton 2+ LFE inputs does not automatically create "Double Bass" when listening to music. if the AV Receiver has that capability, there will be an option in the setup to turn Double Bass On. In my Onkyo, Double Bass is available in both normal music listening modes and it the Direct and Pure Direct Modes, but the feature must be turned on for each mode separately.

LFE refers specifically to the Low Frequency Effect signal component of a digital multi-channel signal (5.1, 7.1, etc.). When playing a source which is recorded in a multi-channel mode, the LFE signal portion is routed to the Sub Out terminal on your AV Receiver. Setting your speakers to Large sends the full frequency range signal to your speaker terminals, A Small setting sends to the speakers, only the portion of the full range signal above the crossover point.

If your speakers are full=range, then set them to Large. Connect your sub-out terminals to both your Triton 2+ LFE inputs and to your external sub input. If needed, use a splitter to connect the sub-out terminals to both the Tritons and the external sub

Explore your Receiver's features to learn about "Double Bass" = possibly named "Analog Bass". There are a number of setup combinations potentially available for you to explore. For example, you can connect a line-out (VCR Out, for example) to either your sub or to the Tritons' LFE inputs and the result will be "Double Bass" because you are sending a full range signal to the sub or the Triton LFE. The internal crossovers will remove the mid and high range portions of the signal, leaving the bass. This approach works if you want LFE only to the Tritons, and "Analog Bass" in the external sub.

If your external sub has the appropriate controls, you can set it to augment only the very low end of the bass spectrum.

Key point is: learn about all of your connection and settings options, then experiment with various combinations to find the best sounding setup.

Happy listing and experimenting,

Art
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, timbre

• Richd's Avatar Offline school
    • Thank you received: 26
Richd Posted 6 years 4 months ago
The "double bass" that Art is speaking about in Marantz / Denon equipment is located in the "Speakers/2ch Playback" section of the Speakers section of the set up menu / Manual Setup, and it is called "LFE + Main".
Go into Setup-Speakers-Manual Setup-2ch Playback-SW Mode. You can toggle between LFE and LFE+Main.

• Richd's Avatar Offline school
    • Thank you received: 26
Richd Posted 6 years 4 months ago
As a side note: I wanted to add that technically the Tritons are a three way full range system with a powered WOOFER and not a separate internal subwoofer. It was a hard concept to keep straight in my mind because of the LFE inputs on the back of the Tritons. But if you think of these in that manner, it may be easier to figure out what configurations you want to use when in the setup menu.

• timbre's Avatar Offline
    • Thank you received: 7
timbre Posted 6 years 4 months ago
Wow -- thanks so much for all the quick and detailed replies! A very generous group on this forum with lots of good information and so many options. Just to summarize, my intent was to try to get full range sound + LFE to the towers, and all bass to an external sub. AD, your comment about using a "VCR line out" was a turning point. What I need is a mono pre-out, which unfortunately I don't have. All the pre outs are R & L, although with low bass that might work. I wonder if it would hurt the AVR if I used a Y-connector on the L&R front channel pre-outs? I think the answer may be as simple as hooking up speaker wire to the ext sub via the "B" speaker terminals, and running A + B speakers on stereo music content. I had not even thought of that obvious solution. That way, when listening to stereo music I'll get all the bass from the L & R channels to the ext sub. Optionally, I can also hook up the LFE line from the AVR to the ext sub, thereby adding LFE on movies.
Thanks again for all the help. I'll report back one I've done some experimenting.
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth

• WayneWilmeth's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 7040
WayneWilmeth Posted 6 years 4 months ago
Last edit: 6 years 4 months ago by WayneWilmeth. info_outline
Good for you Timbre, you are doing it the right way, find out what works best for you. Experimentation, trial and error work the best.
Have fun with it, this is a hobby, ha ha.
God bless,
Wayne
God bless the child that's got his own.
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: timbre

Moderators: Moderator
menu
close
Menu
person_outline
arrow_back
You are here: Home Forum Support Triton Series TritonCinema Who is using a stand alone subwoofer (or woofers) with their Triton towers?