file Who is using a stand alone subwoofer (or woofers) with their Triton towers?

• ArthurDaniels's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 1811
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
ArthurDaniels Posted 6 years 8 months ago
Many subs have a left/right input pair, with one of them designated when only a mono cable from an LFE output is used. If your sub has a left/right input pair, then you can connect a left/right line out directly to the sub. Otherwise, use a "Y" connector to connect the line out left/right to the single sub input.

You mentioned having preamp outputs available. If you use preamp outputs, the difference is likely to be that the output level will vary with the volume control setting on your amplifier. You may find this capability to be preferable to a fixed line level output for driving your sub, especially if your external sub does not have a level control, or if it is not convenient to make frequent changes to your sub volume control.

If your external sub also contains speaker inputs, you can route your "A" or "B" speaker outputs through your sub. Check your "A" / "B" speaker settings on your amp to be sure that both "A" and "B" can be played together.

Have fun exploring your options.

Art
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, timbre

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• timbre's Avatar Offline
    • Thank you received: 7
timbre Posted 6 years 8 months ago
Yes, thanks AD. I've determined my pre outs are active, and I will look at subs with L&R inputs to avoid the Y-adapter. That seems to be the best solution. In the meantime, I'm experimenting with my small sub to make sure it all works.
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, HTSME

• Chuckinator's Avatar Offline
    • Thank you received: 47
Chuckinator Posted 6 years 7 months ago
Hi Wayne not sure if I understand what ur saying. I just got my tritons 1 two days ago. I hooked them up to the LFE of the of speaker to sub output on my marant z 8802a. So I get LFE bass during movies but doing music it's LFE only also?? Thanks. Don
St
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth

• ArthurDaniels's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 1811
ArthurDaniels Posted 6 years 7 months ago
Hi Checkinator,

Look at your Marantz Owners' Manual. Look for a setting which adds the bass portion of audio signals to the LFE output. It may be called "Double Bass" or "LFE + Main" or something similar.

The normal task of the AV Receiver's LFE output is to provide "Low Frequency Effects (LFE)" signals to a sub-woofer LFE input. LFE signals are generated by the multi-channel sound processing circuits within the Receiver - either because they are present in the encoded signal on the DVD (the "0.1" of "5.1" or "7.1", for example) - or because the DSP processor in the Receiver generates them from other multi-channel sources (Dolby 2.0 for example).

So, when you watch a movie or any multi-channel source, LFE signals are presented to the sub. Or, in the case of the Triton Ones, to the LFE input.

But, when the Receiver is processing 2-channel stereo audio, there are no LFE signals present in the incoming signal and the Receiver does not, by default, generate LFE signals. Therefore, no audio signal will be present at the Sub Output on the Receiver. However, many Receivers have the setting I mentioned above to allow the low frequency portion of the audio signal to be channeled to the sub output. Or, if you set any of your speakers to "Small" in the speaker setup, then the low frequency signals from those speakers will be re-directed to the sub output.

So, if you then connect the sub output to the Triton One's LFE input, then your will be sending low frequency signals directly to the Triton's LFE amplifier. If you are also sending full spectrum signals to the Triton speaker terminals, then you are creating the condition know as "Double Bass".

You can also connect the Triton LFE input L/R to a line output ("Rec Out" for example) on your Receiver. This connection sends a full-range audio signal to the Triton One's LFE amplifier. Another "Double Bass" example. However, you would not want to make this connection unless you are only using the Receiver to process audio inputs (no multi-channel video).

There is nothing wrong with operating in a Double Bass mode. I operate in that mode myself. Be prepared to re-adjust the level control on the back of the Triton if you operate in a Double Bass mode.

It is very important that you fully understand how your equipment operates and how it handles different types of input signals and the setup options available to you.

Best,

Art
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, HTSME, timbre

• WayneWilmeth's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 7040
WayneWilmeth Posted 6 years 7 months ago
Hi Don,
I believe Bro Art has already answered you quite well.
I had a Marantz AV 7005, so similar to what you have I think, your pre-processor is just more advanced.
I had my Tritons hooked up with the LFE connections (still do) and some processors do this differently, and Sandy's setup tips say not to use any kind of double bass. But with my Marantz, I also had to use the LFE + Main setting to get the bass to come through with stereo music--which by itself has no LFE signal.
I wish I could give you a better answer on this thread or the other where you ask roughly the same question. But I think you just have to play with it, try different settings and see what works/sounds best to you.
Hope this helps, but I am sure you are on the right track!
Happy listening,
God Bless,
Wayne
God bless the child that's got his own.
The following user(s) said Thank You: HTSME

• Moderator's Avatar Offline
    • Thank you received: 3418
Moderator Posted 6 years 7 months ago
I would strongly suggest you read the Sandy's Setup Tips document on our website support menu and follow it precisely, before attempting any of the "alternative" setups being suggested here.
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, HTSME

Moderators: Moderator
menu
close
Menu
person_outline
arrow_back
You are here: Home Forum Support Triton Series TritonCinema Who is using a stand alone subwoofer (or woofers) with their Triton towers?