file How about a naked Triton?

• alparkranger's Avatar Offline school
    • Thank you received: 8
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
alparkranger Posted 12 years 5 months ago
Figured I'd get more responses!

I like seeing the drivers. I assume they were designed w/the black sock over the speaker. Is the sound affected?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Moderator's Avatar Offline
    • Thank you received: 3418
Moderator Posted 12 years 5 months ago
LOL - thanks for the humor! Yes, the speaker was designed to have the sock in place. As you would expect, the high frequency response will change with the sock removed - but the sock also provides critical damping for cabinet resonances (the effectiveness of which was actually mentioned in the Stereophile review), critically important to the speaker's overall fidelity.

Besides the sonic issues, under the sock is sort of like behind the curtain/under the hood stuff - not intended to be seen (not "finished" in any way).

• Steelskyblue's Avatar Offline
    • Thank you received: 0
Steelskyblue Posted 12 years 5 months ago
I peeled the sock of one of my units off partially and I must agree. The sound does seem to change and the look is ok but the front grill is not GREAT to look at on its own. This may be one sock you may want to keep on :-)

• GDHAL's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 879
GDHAL Posted 8 years 10 months ago
Last edit: 8 years 10 months ago by GDHAL. Reason: specified triton model info_outline
I decided to take down the sock covering (12/8/15) on my Triton One's for no other reason than to visually inspect the drivers. Prior to doing so I read every imaginable article on the Internet as to how and if this could be done.

1) One of the infrasonic radiators has what I would describe as a "resin" of sorts about the diameter of a quarter on it. It is pale yellowish and I did not touch it, but appears glue like. I inspected 8 infrasonic radiators as I have a pair and only one has this resin like substance on it. I'd like the moderator to chime in on this and anyone else who has removed the sock and noticed this.

2) The sock itself can be returned to near (I estimate within 1%) factory tautness. I erred on the side of being looser as opposed to overtightened. That said, there is a metal clip used to hold two sides of the sock together with teeth. I did not re-install this as it appeared as though it would or could tear the material. I read the speaker has been tuned with the sock on, and it is conceivable this clip also in some microscopic way plays an audible part in the overall scheme of things. Moderator, please let me know of (a) any issue without using the clip and (b) how over or under tight can the drawstring be made to not adversely affect sound and/or compromise material integrity.
Golden Ear Triton Reference (pair), Musical Fidelity M6si, Schiit Yggdrasil-OG-B, Oppo UDP-205, Emotiva ERC-3, LG OLED65C9PUA, Salamander Synergy Triple Unit SL20, Audeze LCD-X, GIK acoustic paneling
halr.x10.mx/TritonReference.htm ; halr.x10.mx/other.html
The following user(s) said Thank You: T Cobe

• Moderator's Avatar Offline
    • Thank you received: 3418
Moderator Posted 8 years 10 months ago
1) Probably adhesive. It is meant to be a hidden part. If it would make you feel better it could certainly be replaced through your dealer.

2) Make it as tight as possible (pulling up on the sock and then drawstring pull/lock). Use the clip to prevent wrinkles around the top (no sonic impact, just cosmetic).
The following user(s) said Thank You: T Cobe

• T Cobe's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 4381
T Cobe Posted 8 years 10 months ago
Last edit: 8 years 10 months ago by T Cobe. info_outline
I like these tall and slender beauties with their clothes on. A lady needs to maintain her sense of dignity and mysterious allure, after all.

Cheers,

T Cobe
Speakers: Triton One L/R, SCXL, Aon 3 Surr/Back, HTR-7000 Height
Pre/Pro/AVR: Anthem AVM 60, Emotiva XSP-1
Amps: Emotiva XPA-5(2), Emotiva XPA-1L (2)
Sources: Oppo BDP-103D, Emotiva ERC-3, PS4, Pioneer PLX-1000 w/Ortofon 2M Bronze
Display: Epson 6030 UB, Elite Screens 110" Sable
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, anthem, rjohn79395

Moderators: Moderator
menu
close
Menu
person_outline
arrow_back
You are here: Home Forum Support Triton Series Triton Towers How about a naked Triton?