question-circle Triton 3 sound tunning - 3+/2+?

• Guifi's Avatar Offline school
    • Thank you received: 2
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
Guifi Posted 5 years 6 months ago
Last edit: 5 years 6 months ago by Guifi. info_outline
Hello,

I bought the 3´s in 2015 as an upgrade to my stereo system. I like all kinds of music, from classic to pop, and at that time they seemed it to me good allrounders.

I always considered the 3´s a very musical and sweet speaker, with big scale sound for their size, and last but not least, spouse friendly (decisive quality).

Lately, and after some auditions of similar priced speakers I may say that I started to be converted to a more PRAT type of sound, sometimes dryer and not so sweet as the 3´s present it.

Made already some trials with placement, and I´m using (since the beggining) a Dspeaker 8033SII as my room is not iddealy shaped neither accoustic treated. Dspeaker has several low pass filters, some of it helping on this matter, "spedding" the transients and thigtning the sound but still not enough for a more exciting type of sound...

Do somebody has a similar experience, and found a solution for it (placement, crossover/driver upgrade)?
Do Tritons 3+ or 2+ should be more "entusiastic" sounding speakers, that worth the upgrade?

Thanks!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• rjohn79395's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • rjohn79395
    • Thank you received: 4322
rjohn79395 Posted 5 years 6 months ago
Last edit: 5 years 6 months ago by rjohn79395. info_outline
Hi, Guifi, and welcome!

Re GoldenEar speakers, yes the T2+ or 3+ speakers would be more "enthusiastic sounding" and more detailed than the original T3's, but still very musical.

Re the PRat sound (I think you are referring to pace, rhythm and timing sounds?), I think you would find the increased dynamics and clarity (timing?) of the T2+ in particular right up your alley; musical and sweet on steroids!

Re speaker placement, Triton towers like to be some forward from rear walls, toed in toward the listening position, and about at wide apart as the distance from the listening position.

Hope this helps.

Rick
5.4.4 HT speakers: T Ref fronts/LFE 1, SuperCenter Ref, T1 surrounds/LFE 2 + SuperSub XXL, HTR 7000 top fronts, HTR 8000 top rears
Zone 2 speakers; 2 Invisa 525's
AVR: Marantz SR 8015
Amp: AT525NC 5 channel
Cable/TiVo, OPPO BDP 105D, Bluesound Node 2i, Apple tv 4K streamer
48" SONY 4K OLED TV
The following user(s) said Thank You: Guifi

• Moderator's Avatar Offline
    • Thank you received: 3418
Moderator Posted 5 years 6 months ago
You probably should be looking at other system component upgrades first, based on your impressions of the Triton's sound with your existing equipment (whatever that is).
The following user(s) said Thank You: rjohn79395, Guifi

Thank you for the quick feed-back Rick.

I agree with you on listening position. In fact, it seems it shape was made for the purpose - pointing to listener :)

2,8m between it, and 0,8m from rear walls. More than 1m from side walls are the best (possible) layout I could reach. It´s nice to have the LF regulation to help on this task - that´s one of the reasons I like the 3´s. An equilateral triangle counting with my listening position - maybe not ideal, I know, I´m loosing some stage imaging. I have my rear wall at 3,5m but I need that space bewind my seat...

That said, my target for now is really to improve PRat - I would like to stay with Tritons, which I like from the beggining, reason why I asked some help compairing my original 3´s with 3+.

Best regards
The following user(s) said Thank You: rjohn79395

Thank you for the feed-back. In fact I should have shared the remaining system components, so here it goes:
- Electrocompaniet AW 120 DMB power
- Ayon CD 1SX
- Auralic Aires streamer
- Passive custom Pre amp
That´s a system that, together with the 3´s pleases me a lot.
Anyway, recently running some trials with two speakers (Monitor Audio Silver 300 and Studio), that are not at the same level of the 3´s on several aspects - scale, deep bass, design - they performed in such a different positive way concerning speed, attack and musicality with enough softness on highs (less than the 3´s, I must admit) that I was not aware that was possible.

Decided immediatelly to search for upgrades/tweaks/tips on Tritons to be able to keep it or upgrade it accordingly, to this "new enthusiastic sound".

I appreciate your oppinion, ideas or just a comment on this matter.

Best regards
The following user(s) said Thank You: rjohn79395

• rjohn79395's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • rjohn79395
    • Thank you received: 4322
rjohn79395 Posted 5 years 6 months ago
Last edit: 5 years 6 months ago by rjohn79395. info_outline
Hi, Guifi

Did you audition the Monitor Audio speakers at home on your gear, or at a dealer? As Moderator says, your gear may be a piece of the puzzle. With everything else being equal, my money would be on the +'s, either T2 or 3. Haven't heard those particular Monitor speakers, but haven't heard a speaker with cone/dome tweeters yet that can compete with the HVFR based GEt speakers for sweetness and treble detail, including some pretty pricey B+W Diamond 804 D's.

Between choices re your gear, and future speakers, don't know your budget constraints, but if you are satisfied with the gear feeding your system, moving up to the +'s, especially T2+'s, IS a major step up in what you call speed, attack and musicality. I guess my words would be dynamics, clarity and musicality. GEt powered towers can produce sweet music and slam with the best of them, IMO.

Good luck!

Rick
5.4.4 HT speakers: T Ref fronts/LFE 1, SuperCenter Ref, T1 surrounds/LFE 2 + SuperSub XXL, HTR 7000 top fronts, HTR 8000 top rears
Zone 2 speakers; 2 Invisa 525's
AVR: Marantz SR 8015
Amp: AT525NC 5 channel
Cable/TiVo, OPPO BDP 105D, Bluesound Node 2i, Apple tv 4K streamer
48" SONY 4K OLED TV
The following user(s) said Thank You: Guifi

Moderators: Moderator
menu
close
Menu
person_outline
arrow_back
You are here: Home Forum Support Triton Series Triton Towers Triton 3 sound tunning - 3+/2+?