file Triton 5 System

• HTNUT1975's Avatar Offline school
    • Thank you received: 35
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
HTNUT1975 Posted 7 years 10 months ago
Last edit: 7 years 10 months ago by HTNUT1975. info_outline

Hey folks, I just joined the GE Club this last weekend am in the process of breaking in the speakers (Two T5's, supercenter xl, two aon 3's)--pretty much have it going 12 hours a day a decent (but not too loud) volume with a variety of music. Love the sound so far. Center speaker fits about as perfectly as a speaker fits in a TV stand, with ample room above it (I believe I read Sandy stating that an inch or two clearance would suffice). I send along a pic of the basic set up (the rears are up high on bookshelves, a few feet behind the couch). I think I have the speakers toe'd in properly, but any suggestions is always helpful. Running this off a Denon 4520ci (at the end of the day, I run probably 90% to 10% movies to music, though that may now be subject to change).
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, rjohn79395, T Cobe, Steve Blentlinger

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• HTNUT1975's Avatar Offline school
    • Thank you received: 35
HTNUT1975 Posted 7 years 10 months ago
Well, let's try this again.
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, T Cobe

• Dark's Avatar Offline
    • Thank you received: 109
Dark Posted 7 years 10 months ago
Last edit: 7 years 10 months ago by Dark. info_outline
That's a great looking room! Is that a Pioneer tv, I see? I haven't seen one of those in years! Long live plasma!

As for toe-in, it looks pretty good, but it's hard to tell from a picture. In general, the more toe-in the better the image, and the less toe-in the better the spaciousness.

What I recommend is choose some music where you know the singer is located directly in the middle. Diana Krall or Norah Jones come to mind for this. Start toe-ing in the Tritons until it sounds like she is singing directly in front of you while you sit in your favorite spot (the main listening position). Then start toe-ing them back out until that "image" in front of you breaks down. Now toe them back in slightly and you're all set! Think of it like focusing a camera lens.

Small tweaks can make all of the difference and be fun to try too!

ps. Keep in mind, that if you have a wide couch with people sitting far apart it may be better to error on the side of less toe-in for those sitting on the edges. In my place, it's mostly just me, so I ignored this bit of advice ;)
The following user(s) said Thank You: rjohn79395, T Cobe

• Dark's Avatar Offline
    • Thank you received: 109
Dark Posted 7 years 10 months ago
pps. You can follow this same technique to set-up the toe-in for your surround speakers as well! Plug in your Aons into the mains on your Denon. Now do the same thing, still sitting at your main listening position but turned around facing your rear speakers. If you play music through them and toe-in those speakers the same way, now you know they will be in the best place when you plug them back into your surround channels sitting looking at your tv.
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, rjohn79395, T Cobe, HTNUT1975

• WayneWilmeth's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 7040
WayneWilmeth Posted 7 years 10 months ago
Welcome to the club HTNUT1975!!!!!
We are most all of us HT nuts around here, love the look and fit of your new system!!!
It will sound GREAT, I have no doubt!!!!
Dark, great advice there, well done!!!!
Enjoy and we are here to help if we can,
God Bless,
Wayne
God bless the child that's got his own.
The following user(s) said Thank You: rjohn79395, T Cobe, HTNUT1975

• T Cobe's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 4381
T Cobe Posted 7 years 10 months ago
HTNUT1975,

Welcome to the forum and congrats on the new gear! That's a great setup and a cozy looking home theater. I bet reference level volume really energizes that room and is a lot of fun!

Dark had some great advice, as always. Besides toe in, you may also want to play with spacing/placement a bit. It's probably easier to do with music. I'd start with the Tritons and go from there. Distance from the side and rear walls can make a big difference. Before doing any tweaking though, I'd recommend just sitting back and enjoying it for a bit! Well done!

Cheers,

T Cobe
Speakers: Triton One L/R, SCXL, Aon 3 Surr/Back, HTR-7000 Height
Pre/Pro/AVR: Anthem AVM 60, Emotiva XSP-1
Amps: Emotiva XPA-5(2), Emotiva XPA-1L (2)
Sources: Oppo BDP-103D, Emotiva ERC-3, PS4, Pioneer PLX-1000 w/Ortofon 2M Bronze
Display: Epson 6030 UB, Elite Screens 110" Sable
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, rjohn79395, HTNUT1975

Moderators: Moderator
menu
close
Menu
person_outline
arrow_back