file New 5.1.2 Atmos System

• TanLeng's Avatar Offline school
    • Thank you received: 24
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
TanLeng Posted 8 years 8 months ago

murphyslaw1978 wrote: Nice system! If you did 5.1.4, would it be too difficult to put the ceiling speakers in? And based on the couch locations, would those extra speakers even work? It looks like you have limited ceiling space behind the couch to even do that.

I wouldn't worry about it too much - you have Atmos, which is a lot more than most people have :)

Hmm that's a good question, I've been mulling it over in my head, and considering the 2 Invisas are practically right above the couch seating axis, maybe slightly ahead....I was considering adding 2 more further in front, as opposed to behind the couch. Now that you brought it up, I'm wondering if that would be a bit pointless....it would make sense to have the couch in between both lines of ceiling speakers, but I don't think I want to re-position the existing ones... :/

As for putting the speakers in, I confirmed that I had the contractors run two extra speaker wires through the conduit, so in terms of wiring, that's not going to be a problem, just a matter of finding optimal placements for the new speakers, and locating the spare wires in the false ceiling. I suppose that could be tricky if it's through a small hole meant just for speaker installation.
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, rjohn79395, T Cobe

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• TanLeng's Avatar Offline school
    • Thank you received: 24
TanLeng Posted 8 years 8 months ago

rjohn79395 wrote: At SOME point, I'd like to hear the difference between a 5.x.2 and 5.X.4 system (mine is 5.2.2). Given the paucity right now of ATMOS/height encoded material to listen to, the absence in this area of any 5.X.4 systems to compare to (I'd love to hear what GEt sets up for the professionals at CES 16.... I know they'll do it right), I'm going to try and be patient and wait for DTS:X to finally become available, more ATMOS movies to become available, GEt to announce any future plans for ATMOS speakers, etc. before changing anything regarding adding front heights. At this point, if I were to add front heights, they would be Invisa's.

I DO like the limited ATMOS encoded material I've watched/listened to on my system (3 movies).Experiencing stuff MOVING overhead (helicopters, space stations, falling buildings, whatever) really adds to the auditory experience and the sense of being in the middle of the action. As I've said on another thread, it does seem the mixing process is still evolving... it can be a little distracting to have an overhead sound channel one scene,and have it disappear the next... kind of like going back and forth between 2D and 3D video...

Bottom line: adding the vertical element to audio seems to me to be similar to adding 3D to video. It just increases the sense of immersion in the whole experience.

Happy holidays, all! We'll be travelling and I'll be checking in on the forum as I can.

Rick

I've not been fortunate to hear a .4 system personally either....however I've done some research and reviews such as the one I've linked, have given me some food for thought in terms of what I'm missing out on with just 2 ceiling speakers.

"How do I begin to describe the differences among the setups? In this case, the 5.1.4c system (with “c” being my unofficial shorthand for ceiling speakers) performed phenomenally. The blades, especially the last one or two, were so acoustically fully formed and solidly placed as they moved from the screen to the back of the room that I had the urge to duck out of the way. I’m not sure how to quantify a three-dimensional sound element—I now understand why Dolby refers to it as an “object”—but this had all the acoustical aspects of the real thing. In comparison, with the 5.1.2c system, the blade was fully formed when it left the screen, but it seemed to dissipate slightly as it moved toward my head—and then it “disappeared.” The 3D soundfield flattened when it reached my head. In terms of 3D-ness, it reminded me of the limitation common to a lot of soundbars, whose soundfield never extends past the listener.
Read more at www.soundandvision.com/content/dolby-atm...#yQhTgA8bV7dBScC7.99"

www.soundandvision.com/content/dolby-atm...#DH1oi68RhxhB6SRB.97

• WayneWilmeth's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 7040
WayneWilmeth Posted 8 years 8 months ago
Hi TanLeng,
Welcome back!!!
Merry Christmas to you in Malaysia!!!!
Yes, we have been very busy here.
I not only found a distributor here in Thailand but a good friend. He is the best distributor I ever ran into.
That is the good news. Bad news is, he lets me audition speakers in my own home for free. Well, they never seem to go back!!!!
So I have a home theater now that I REALLY love.
The reason I don't have much to say about your questions is I am so happy with what I have, I am not interested in Atmos.
So I will let the other guys who have thoughts on that chime in.
God Bless,
Wayne
God bless the child that's got his own.
The following user(s) said Thank You: rjohn79395, T Cobe

• T Cobe's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 4381
T Cobe Posted 8 years 8 months ago
TanLeng,

Awesome condo! Looks like you have a great view too. I agree with Murphyslaw, great setup up and I'm not sure 2 more speakers would provide much of a net gain. I'd bet it sounds fantastic as is.

Cheers,

T Cobe
Speakers: Triton One L/R, SCXL, Aon 3 Surr/Back, HTR-7000 Height
Pre/Pro/AVR: Anthem AVM 60, Emotiva XSP-1
Amps: Emotiva XPA-5(2), Emotiva XPA-1L (2)
Sources: Oppo BDP-103D, Emotiva ERC-3, PS4, Pioneer PLX-1000 w/Ortofon 2M Bronze
Display: Epson 6030 UB, Elite Screens 110" Sable
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, rjohn79395

• Frozen's Avatar Offline
    • Thank you received: 3
Frozen Posted 8 years 8 months ago

TanLeng wrote: I moved to a new condo a few months back, and made some additions to my existing system by adding a pair of in-ceiling Invisa speakers, a new Atmos receiver, and took the plunge to 5.1.2

In hindsight , I should have bit the bullet and gone for a full 5.1.4 system, but c'est la vie.

I don't have a dedicated HT room, but thought I'd share , hope the pictures aren't too messy and glary! :blush:

Triton Two
Supercenter X ( I plan on upgrading this to an XXL asap )
Aon 3 surrounds
Invisa 650 ( might have to add a pair of 7000's to complete the .4 Atmos system, if it isn't too big a job, or hope GE comes up with some form of floor standing module )
Force Field 4
Pioneer SC-LX58
Emotiva XPA-5

System looks great! I am also interested in the real difference between .2 and .4 systems.

Also when your ready to get rid of the Supercenter X I am super interested.

• WayneWilmeth's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 7040
WayneWilmeth Posted 8 years 8 months ago
Welcome to the forum Frozen!
Although, IF your name "Frozen" is from the movie, then you probably are one of my granddaughters
writing in. Ha ha
Please tell us about the rest of your system, if you will.
Have fun with it all, happy listening,
God Bless,
Wayne
God bless the child that's got his own.
The following user(s) said Thank You: rjohn79395, T Cobe

Moderators: Moderator
menu
close
Menu
person_outline
arrow_back
You are here: Home Forum Clubhouse Show Off Your GoldenEar System New 5.1.2 Atmos System