file Currently playing

• anthem's Avatar Offline school
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 9175
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
anthem Posted 7 years 2 months ago

Tis Saturday night and watching Lawrence Welk. I hope U "Ole Farts" are doing the same.

Rick: Love your "Get it" -- "Moves me" -- "Dig it" post.
D-Sonic m3a-600m Mono > McIntosh MC152 > Primaluna ProLogue Premium Preamp > Oppo UDP205 > Decware ZLC > Triton Reference > Isoacoustics Gaia 2 > Canare 4S11 Speaker Cables > Audience Forte 3, Anticable L3 & Shunyata Venom PC's

Every great performance deserves an Audience!
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, rjohn79395, T Cobe

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• rjohn79395's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • rjohn79395
    • Thank you received: 4322
rjohn79395 Posted 7 years 2 months ago
Ah, yes, music we like/love...

Gets me thinking. We all get "imprinted" some with the music and styles we hear during our formative years. Witness how different the music types are around the world. Not just genes, but some adapting to what we hear.

My formative years were around the sounds of the Supremes, Franki Valli, Little Anthony and the Imperials, the Beegees, ABBA, the Four Tops, Neil Diamond... with some classical mixed in. Not much jazz. (Thanks, Anthem, for nudging this music type!)

Different genres seem to coax different emotions, and maybe that's why we all have differing tastes, depending on what we like coaxed. :unsure:

What I love about this thread is how it stretches our music comfort zone, introduces us to different "stuff", even if it takes awhile to get to appreciate it.

Thanks to all for participating, and to Anthem for tirelessly keeping it going!!!

Rick
5.4.4 HT speakers: T Ref fronts/LFE 1, SuperCenter Ref, T1 surrounds/LFE 2 + SuperSub XXL, HTR 7000 top fronts, HTR 8000 top rears
Zone 2 speakers; 2 Invisa 525's
AVR: Marantz SR 8015
Amp: AT525NC 5 channel
Cable/TiVo, OPPO BDP 105D, Bluesound Node 2i, Apple tv 4K streamer
48" SONY 4K OLED TV
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, anthem, T Cobe

• WayneWilmeth's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 7040
WayneWilmeth Posted 7 years 2 months ago

Yes, well, not so sure how that works though.
I grew up with L Welk on the TV, the folks liked that crap-uh, sorry, music (sorry Bro Anthem, the thank you above was just to let you know that I COULD play it), I hated it. The radio played music I did like, some of which you mentioned Bro Rick, then this guy Elvis came along, liked that better, then Buddy Holly, Peter Paul & Mary, the Beatles, the Mamas and the Papas, the Rolling Stones, now things were getting interesting. My dad turned me on to classical music, some, all in all the music I was supposed to like as a kid did not imprint, and the music I learned to love came just a bit later on.
We all have different stories, differing tastes. In fact, my wife and I disagree almost entirely about music, almost totally, EXCEPT some of the sweet rock, example: Clapton's Wonderful Tonight, Would you know my name? etc. AND she agrees totally with me in our dislike of Jazz!!!! Funny.
God Bless,
Wayne
God bless the child that's got his own.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Moderator, rjohn79395, T Cobe

• rjohn79395's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • rjohn79395
    • Thank you received: 4322
rjohn79395 Posted 7 years 2 months ago
Last edit: 7 years 2 months ago by rjohn79395. info_outline

WayneWilmeth wrote:
Yes, well, not so sure how that works though.
I grew up with L Welk on the TV, the folks liked that crap-uh, sorry, music (sorry Bro Anthem, the thank you above was just to let you know that I COULD play it), I hated it. The radio played music I did like, some of which you mentioned Bro Rick, then this guy Elvis came along, liked that better, then Buddy Holly, Peter Paul & Mary, the Beatles, the Mamas and the Papas, the Rolling Stones, now things were getting interesting. My dad turned me on to classical music, some, all in all the music I was supposed to like as a kid did not imprint, and the music I learned to love came just a bit later on.
We all have different stories, differing tastes. In fact, my wife and I disagree almost entirely about music, almost totally, EXCEPT some of the sweet rock, example: Clapton's Wonderful Tonight, Would you know my name? etc.
God Bless,
Wayne

Don't have all the answers. I do know different parts of the world have VERY different music and instruments, and when I listen, it's more foreign than comfortable. Why the difference? I don't believe it's all genes or in-born preferences. SOME of our preferences are based on what we've listened to/imprinting, and some based on what our unique brains respond to/what coaxes where we most want our emotions to be led. For me, classical draws the most soaring, wide range emotions of any music type. But I have to be REALLY listening. POP and Rock and Roll tend to bring out the happy/toe tapping side. I guess it's what our brains want or need at the time. For me, jazz coaxes the whimsical side, but I don't pretend to know a heck of a lot about the genre, and some leaves me cold, the same as any other genre

When I was growing up and we kids were discovering Rock and Roll, I remember my father saying, after we'd played "Rock Around the Clock" once too often, "If you want to hear GOOD music, listen to Glenn MIller, Tommy Dorsey, etc." I still believe what we hear when we're younger sets a tone for what we'll like/love later on. Not a perfect tone, but a predeliction.

But I also believe we evolve over time. I like to be stretched, hear things I haven't heard before. I've discovered artists and music styles on this and the "Music I Enjoy and Recommend" thread I wouldn't have otherwise known or heard, and I love that.

I absolutely can't tolerate heavy metal, rap, lots of today's electric guitar heavy music that our own kids listen to. Should I give them the same lecture my Dad gave me about "good music"? I'll pass.

Here's to our differences in music tastes, and our common love of how GEt speakers present whatever we love so beautifully!!!!

Happy listening!

Rick
5.4.4 HT speakers: T Ref fronts/LFE 1, SuperCenter Ref, T1 surrounds/LFE 2 + SuperSub XXL, HTR 7000 top fronts, HTR 8000 top rears
Zone 2 speakers; 2 Invisa 525's
AVR: Marantz SR 8015
Amp: AT525NC 5 channel
Cable/TiVo, OPPO BDP 105D, Bluesound Node 2i, Apple tv 4K streamer
48" SONY 4K OLED TV
The following user(s) said Thank You: T Cobe

• WayneWilmeth's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 7040
WayneWilmeth Posted 7 years 2 months ago
Last edit: 7 years 2 months ago by WayneWilmeth. Reason: MO info_outline
Thanks for the thoughtful and well written reply Bro Rick.

OK, that was horrible lip syncing, but my goodness, has there ever been a more beautiful lead singer than Michelle?
Over here in Thailand most of these villagers only know and ONLY like their old folk music. The youngsters have heard the stuff on the radio and TV and some like it, NONE of them know most Western music forms other than pop and rock.
I have an educated friend in Bangkok, my GoldenEar Tech. distributor who knows and loves rock and jazz, easy listening, audiophile stuff. But he was educated in a Catholic (good) school and is a world traveler.
I am like you, I don't have the answers. Exposure and imprinting are a LOT of it, as is what our peers share with us, especially in our formative years.
And some of it has to do with biases that we develop. Like I HATE elevator music, but love it when Mama Cass sings "Dream a Little Dream of Me" which is probably elevator music in everyone else's universe, but not mine. D Krall sings it, and I don't buy it.
Does that make any sense? Heck No.

Good to discuss these things.
Back on topic, forum topic, I accidentally clicked yesterday on some Facebook page that started playing modern dance, thump thump (music????) while I was connected to my system, and turned up pretty dang loudly too, and my whole Home Theater started jumping!!!! I hate that sound, but damn, it sounded great through my Triton towers, amazing really!!!! IF I didn't despise that whole scene so much, I could grudgingly see how people could like it. ha ha
OK
I have a friend coming over, American, and I promised him we will ATTEMPT to make Reuben sandwiches for dinner, YES, here in Thailand.
Homemade sauerkraut is ready, some rye bread and Swiss cheeses bought at a shop an hour away, some corned beef bought at a shop 4 hours away, made my own Russian/TI dressing. We will see how it goes. I probably should stick with what I know, Tex-Mex.
God Bless,
Wayne
God bless the child that's got his own.
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: rjohn79395, T Cobe

• anthem's Avatar Offline school
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 9175
anthem Posted 7 years 2 months ago

Listening to Dave Weckl from his Heads Up cd -- Trigger Happy
Sounding Super Sweet!

Traveling the back roads today. The wheat harvest is pretty much done in this part of the state. Corn is up and looking good. No, I'm not a farmer...just an admirer.
D-Sonic m3a-600m Mono > McIntosh MC152 > Primaluna ProLogue Premium Preamp > Oppo UDP205 > Decware ZLC > Triton Reference > Isoacoustics Gaia 2 > Canare 4S11 Speaker Cables > Audience Forte 3, Anticable L3 & Shunyata Venom PC's

Every great performance deserves an Audience!
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Moderator, rjohn79395, T Cobe

Moderators: Moderator
menu
close
Menu
person_outline
arrow_back