question-circle Question About Impedance Loading By Triton Ones & Sevens

• ArthurDaniels's Avatar Offline school
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 1811
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
ArthurDaniels Posted 3 years 9 months ago
My second receiver is also a Cambridge AV Receiver. The AV Receiver''s remote will provide on-off and volume control for both units - however, the steps are not fully compatible. Also, the output levels are not the same - thus the hassle of balancing each time I change volume levels.

However, I bow to your superior advice. Too much damage risk to leave both speaker sets connected to the 851A.

Best,

Art

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• rjohn79395's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • rjohn79395
    • Thank you received: 4322
rjohn79395 Posted 3 years 9 months ago
Last edit: 3 years 9 months ago by rjohn79395. info_outline

ArthurDaniels wrote: My second receiver is also a Cambridge AV Receiver. The AV Receiver''s remote will provide on-off and volume control for both units - however, the steps are not fully compatible. Also, the output levels are not the same - thus the hassle of balancing each time I change volume levels.

Hi, Art

I understand your annoyance at having to make separate sound level adjustments on the two Cambridge receivers with separate remotes. It might be worth checking whether a programmable controller, like a Harmony, could be used to seamlessly sync the two Cambridge receivers you use, especially for volume control? I use a programmable remote to link the tv, Oppo player, Marantz receiver, Bluesound streamer etc. into one remote for easy control, starting/stopping the various devices etc. Though the variable volume control is through one device, the Marantz receiver. All other devices are set at fixed volume.

Or use your source for volume control, and set both Cambridge receivers at fixed volume, treat them as amps? Or is a a conversation with Cambridge technical about better ways to link the two receivers an avenue worth pursuing?

Just thinking out loud....

Rick
5.4.4 HT speakers: T Ref fronts/LFE 1, SuperCenter Ref, T1 surrounds/LFE 2 + SuperSub XXL, HTR 7000 top fronts, HTR 8000 top rears
Zone 2 speakers; 2 Invisa 525's
AVR: Marantz SR 8015
Amp: AT525NC 5 channel
Cable/TiVo, OPPO BDP 105D, Bluesound Node 2i, Apple tv 4K streamer
48" SONY 4K OLED TV

• Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Last edit: 3 years 9 months ago by ArthurDaniels. info_outline
Hi Rick,

Good suggestions, all.

I will stick with my two Cambridge units and live with the necessity of balancing the volumes as I listen. Just a bit of a nuisance, - not a real issue.

My primary reason for sitting tight at present is the underlying issue I am having with my Cambridge 851A. I am on my third unit and would be on my fourth if the original warranty were not expired. The unit is functional, but has a goofy right-channel volume problem which Cambridge acknowledges, but wants me to return the unit to their US repair facility in NJ. I have refused to do so because I don't think their techs are qualified and would most likely be unable to identify the problem. I have a work-around for the problem and will use it unless the 851A completely dies.

If my 851A dies (as did the previous two units), I will probably just use my second Cambridge CXR 120 AV receiver to drive both sets of speakers in an 'all channel" mode.

I have had extensive email exchanges with Cambridge and I have provided extensive technical information. The 851A has fundamental design issues - probably related to heat dissipation.. If it dies, I will give Cambridge one last opportunity to replace the unit at no cost to me. Otherwise, I will move on.

Needless to say, I will not be purchasing any more Cambridge products - despite their excellent sound. TOO BAD!!!!

Best,

Art

• Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
HI Rick,

Here is an interesting post-script to my little speaker saga. Yesterday, I decided to look for ways to simplify my mishmash of wires, etc. One of my thoughts was the possibility of removing the two Triton Sevens from the array. Previously, I have always toed my Triton Ones in toward the listening spot, but also following the conventional wisdom of setting the toe-in so the the speakers pointed to positions just wide of the PLP. Yesterday, I turned the Ones inward so that they pointed directly to the PLP.

Then, I listened to just the Ones. To my surprise, the "gap in the middle of the sound array" disappeared. The sound was directional, but naturally dispersed across the left-right spread between the two speakers - thus eliminating the need to use my Sevens in between the Ones. I attribute this improvement to two things - the shape of my room and the spacing between my Ones which is wider than the spacing that would form an isosceles triangle.

As we continue to get settled in our Raleigh home, I will find another use for my Sevens - probably as part of a sound system in our Sun Room when we are able to configure that room for our sitting and listening.

On another note, I saw your response in a different thread in which you stated that you live in Glendale, AZ. From 1982 until 1990, we lived in NE Scottsdale - the area then-called "Paradise Heights" (Palomino Rd, off of 124th Street and South of Shea Blvd). In those days, there was almost no development North of Shea, except for the Mayo Clinic, so we had an unobstructed view of the McDowells.

Best,

Art
The following user(s) said Thank You: rjohn79395

• rjohn79395's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • rjohn79395
    • Thank you received: 4322
rjohn79395 Posted 3 years 9 months ago
Last edit: 3 years 9 months ago by rjohn79395. info_outline
Hey Art

I'm glad you found a toe in set-up for the T1's that let you "retire" the T7's and the second receiver!

Re Arizona, that was another Rick on the forum. We're still doing the TX for nine months, summer in NH bit, and are in NH util late Sept. I have been to Phoenix on business years ago, my only experience with the state personally. Glad to know you had great views while you were in Scottsdale!

Happy listening with your new hassle free set-up!

Rick
5.4.4 HT speakers: T Ref fronts/LFE 1, SuperCenter Ref, T1 surrounds/LFE 2 + SuperSub XXL, HTR 7000 top fronts, HTR 8000 top rears
Zone 2 speakers; 2 Invisa 525's
AVR: Marantz SR 8015
Amp: AT525NC 5 channel
Cable/TiVo, OPPO BDP 105D, Bluesound Node 2i, Apple tv 4K streamer
48" SONY 4K OLED TV

• Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Hi TX-NH Rick!

I apologize for mixing my Ricks. I have not lived in either Texas or New Hampshire. However, I have pleasant memories of doing business with Digital Equipment in Nashua - also with them in the Boston area and in Burlington, VT. I also spent several months with Pitney Bowes in the Boston area on a consulting assignment. During my career I spent a lot of time in New England and thoroughly enjoyed the people I worked with. Genuine folks!

I am enjoying my new and simplified setup. I have placed my Cambridge CXR120 AV Receiver into a reserve position - for use if my Cambridge 851A Stereo Amp dies. I hope that does not happen any time soon.

Happy listening to you as well.

Art
The following user(s) said Thank You: rjohn79395

Moderators: Moderator
menu
close
Menu
person_outline
arrow_back
You are here: Home Forum Advanced Topics DIY, Mods and Tweaks Question About Impedance Loading By Triton Ones & Sevens