• Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • rjohn79395
    • Thank you received: 4322
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
rjohn79395 Posted 6 years 9 months ago
Last edit: 6 years 9 months ago by rjohn79395. info_outline
Hey, Anthony

How much bass is "enough"? As you can tell from the replies, lots of good, clean bass makes us bass heads happy. It's what would make YOU happy that counts.

My original 5.1 system was Triton 2 fronts, a Supersat 50c center, and Invisa 525 surrounds. I wouldn't have called the bass output from the LFE connected T2's wimpy by any means. Could adding in an external sub add more? Sure could. Timecop's suggestion of saving money by getting used T2's and using that savings to add a Supersub X, upgrade the center channel to a Supercenter XL or XXL, and use Supersat 50's as surrounds would, as he said, deliver for both 5.1 surround and 2 channel music. And all within your budget.

I don't know how close you live to Austin Texas, but Audio Systems there has my former T2 surrounds in consignment. Call them at (512) 451-5736 if you're interested. T2's also get listed for sale on this forum frequently.

Again, it's what works for your ears, your listening preferences. Hope you can audition some of the options you're thinking about.

Good luck in your GEt adventure and happy listening!

Rick
5.4.4 HT speakers: T Ref fronts/LFE 1, SuperCenter Ref, T1 surrounds/LFE 2 + SuperSub XXL, HTR 7000 top fronts, HTR 8000 top rears
Zone 2 speakers; 2 Invisa 525's
AVR: Marantz SR 8015
Amp: AT525NC 5 channel
Cable/TiVo, OPPO BDP 105D, Bluesound Node 2i, Apple tv 4K streamer
48" SONY 4K OLED TV
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Hoffmanberryhill's Avatar Offline school
    • Thank you received: 9
Hoffmanberryhill Posted 6 years 9 months ago
Good advise guys. I would like good chest feeling bass but not so overwhelming that it takes away from the rest of the sound.

Also, will be powering the system with a Denon AVR-X4300 receiver. Will this power the T2's and other speakers?

After everyones input, I considering two different systems (assuming the AVR4300 will work).

2 T2's towers, XL Supercenter, 4 Supersat 3's, and 4 In-ceiling atmos speakers. (No sub)

2 T7's towers, 2 SVS SB200's (subs), XL Supercenter, 2 in wall rears, 2 in wall surrounds and 4 in-ceiling atmos speakers.

Would appreciate thoughts and advise on these two options.

Thank You!
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, rjohn79395

• Hoffmanberryhill's Avatar Offline school
    • Thank you received: 9
Hoffmanberryhill Posted 6 years 9 months ago
FYI, I live in Tulsa if anyone has used T2 speakers in the area

• Timecop's Avatar Offline
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
    • Thank you received: 270
Timecop Posted 6 years 9 months ago
I ran t7’s up front for a while with 2 subs, and I can tell you that the T2’s are a substantial and significant improvement. It’s MUCH easier to balance bass output with T2’s. Instead of trying to build out the entire home theater all at once, I’d focus on the right front left/right speakers - then on the Center and sub (if you’re adding it). Don’t sacrifice the front speakers and go smaller just to have a ton of small surrounds.

RE: your AVR: yes it will power ok, but at some point you’ll probably be upgrading it as well, or buying a separate amp.
Triton Two front L/R
SuperSat 50c center
Triton Seven surround L/R
SuperSat 50 surround rear L/R
AVR Arcam AVR-21
Amp Marantz mm7025
Velodyne optimum 10” sealed, back left corner
SuperSub X front-right corner

• rjohn79395's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • rjohn79395
    • Thank you received: 4322
rjohn79395 Posted 6 years 9 months ago
Re the Denon X4300 AVR, with 125 wpc driving 2 channels (it seems NAD is one of the few that advertise wpc closer to all channels driven), that should be plenty of power for T2's and other channels. Powered Tritons have their own power source for the power hungry bass portion anyway.

You have added, for me, good questions about ATMOS height channels. I really like what ATMOS adds to the surround experience! You could probably use just one pair of surrounds in a 5.1.4 set-up (in fact, doesn't the Denon have nine powered channels, so if you wanted to go 7.1.4 with 4 surrounds and 4 heights, I think you'd need an external 2 channel amp to handle the 10th and 11th channels???). I'd pick adding a second pair of height channels over adding a second pair of surrounds any day. Not sure which height speakers you are thinking of, but the height channels do add a sense of immersion, even "beefiness" to the sound envelope. Epecially HTR 7000's.

Re T2's only, no sub, adding heights, especially beefier HTR 7000's adds a sense of more bass presence (I have my 7000's crossed at 60 HZ). Again, it would be useful for you, I think, to hear T2's or 2+'s with LFE connections and a good action Blu-ray to "dial in" for yourself whether that would work, especially with some help from something like HTR 7000's height speakers. If you want more bass, then external subs get back in the picture.

In any case, my input would be to consider sticking with a 5.1.4 set-up, and apply the money saved on a second set of surrounds to getting the best you can for the 5.1.4 channel speakers.

Rick
5.4.4 HT speakers: T Ref fronts/LFE 1, SuperCenter Ref, T1 surrounds/LFE 2 + SuperSub XXL, HTR 7000 top fronts, HTR 8000 top rears
Zone 2 speakers; 2 Invisa 525's
AVR: Marantz SR 8015
Amp: AT525NC 5 channel
Cable/TiVo, OPPO BDP 105D, Bluesound Node 2i, Apple tv 4K streamer
48" SONY 4K OLED TV
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth

Moderators: Moderator
menu
close
Menu
person_outline
arrow_back
You are here: Home Forum Getting Started Buying Advice System advise please