file Main speakers for my living room

• anthem's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 9175
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
anthem Posted 9 years 8 months ago
Jjanosik...make any decisions yet? Receiver, Seperates? The suspense is killing me...
D-Sonic m3a-600m Mono > McIntosh MC152 > Primaluna ProLogue Premium Preamp > Oppo UDP205 > Decware ZLC > Triton Reference > Isoacoustics Gaia 2 > Canare 4S11 Speaker Cables > Audience Forte 3, Anticable L3 & Shunyata Venom PC's

Every great performance deserves an Audience!
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, jjanosik

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• jjanosik's Avatar Offline school
    • Thank you received: 13
jjanosik Posted 9 years 8 months ago
:) That's nice of you

Well I'm still considering which is the best option for me, because my situation is a little complicated... I have some things on my mind so I can just write them here...

1) first of all I'm living in a country where average salary is quite low... even though my salary is over that average, purchase like Triton Ones is still worth several salaries... they are on my budget limit actually... I'm willing to buy them IF they are really quite a lot better than Triton Twos or Aons or something completely different and IF they are here to stay and play nicely for a long time (am I too optimistic when I'm considering 20+ years here?)

2) I'm not an audiophile, I just want to use these speakers for a great home cinema experience and some background music while doing other things (reading, partying :) etc. ), so is it even worth for me?

3) I'm moving into an apartment where I will have some neighbours and I really don't know which volume of sound will be acceptable while keeping a good relationship with them ( and isn't the difference between Triton Ones and Twos mainly in bass?)

4) I don't want to spend another 3k+ eur for amps etc., therefore I will just have to live with some top end av receiver probably...

5) I need to change the power source to 220v which will hopefully not be that big of a deal

6) I really want to audition them before purchasing so I will have to travel into another country where they are not speaking my language and I don't how good their english is

BUT I know that if I will not buy them now, I probably never will... because I will have other things to spend money on (family, house, trips...)

So I don't know whether to invest into Triton Ones (once in a life purchase? :) ) or just buy Triton Twos, maybe Threes or Aons, enjoy the music and have more money on the mortgage :) Earliest time of purchase will be in 3+ months (I have quite a lot of other thing to do in the new apartment until then)
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, anthem

• WayneWilmeth's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 7040
WayneWilmeth Posted 9 years 8 months ago
Hi Jjanosik,
I can appreciate your situation and the priorities you are having to juggle.
I too live in a place where the people around me would freak out if they knew how much money I spent on any of my speakers, let alone all of them!!! And then amps and such, WOW!!!!
And you said you are not an audiophile, so that means you might not have this same sickness that Bro Anthem and I have, so you may actually be able to stay within a sensible budget!!! ha ha
And YES, I am fairly hopeful that you can get good service out of these speakers for up to around 20 years, perhaps MORE. I got that many years out of a pair of ribbon speakers and they traveled all around the world.
Just a few comments, you mention about the voltage, I hope you can buy them with 220 VAC input, then you will not have to change anything. Any LOCAL dealer should be supplying them in the local voltage. That was my situation at least.
Sounds like there may not be any local dealers where you are. And IF you are going to have to order them, and to get them with a different voltage, then you will want to do that soon, as the lead time for getting the speakers with a different voltage can easily be 3 months or more in a lot of places.
And just throwing out my opinion, given what you have told us, I would go with the Triton 2s if I were you. They USED to be top of the GEt line for a long time, they are more affordable than the Ones, they do have a little less bass (so more neighbor friendly), perhaps a touch easier to drive with more modest equipment (or less of the absolute best that could be wrung from the Ones would be lost), and frankly, the Triton 2s are AWESOME sounding!!!! I do consider myself a (less than golden-eared) audiophile and I am thrilled with my T 2s. I doubt that anyone other than an audiophile could well appreciate the difference between the sound of the Ones and the Twos.
I am not sure any of that made sense, just trying to help.
Enjoy the ride, and music,
God Bless,
Wayne
God bless the child that's got his own.
The following user(s) said Thank You: anthem, jjanosik

• Moderator's Avatar Offline
    • Thank you received: 3418
Moderator Posted 9 years 8 months ago
Last edit: 9 years 8 months ago by Moderator. info_outline
1) Buy what fits your needs and budget, all of them are great within their limits. You can certainly expect to get many, many years of service from a loudspeaker - presumably longer than the technology would merit.

2) Everyone can hear and appreciate good sound.

3) All of our speakers will bother the neighbors if played too loud. No, the difference between the Two and One is not mainly bass.

4) A good receiver will do a wonderful job driving the powered bass Tritons or an Aon + subwoofer.

5) Our powered speakers and subs are not multi-voltage.

6) Call ahead. :)

The difference between the various choices is not enough to effect your mortgage even a little. There's nothing you could spend the same money on that could provide any where near the same long term enjoyment, IMHO.

Have fun,
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, anthem, jjanosik

• jjanosik's Avatar Offline school
    • Thank you received: 13
jjanosik Posted 9 years 8 months ago
Last edit: 9 years 8 months ago by jjanosik. info_outline
Thank you very much guys. I really appreciate that.

I guess that it will be best to audition triton twos and ones in person and make a decision based on that. I'm ok with buying triton ones if they are really sound noticeably better.

Moderator I understand that your speakers are not multi-voltage, but is it possible to order them in or change them into an European 220v version?

And one last question, because this is something I really can't test before buying (because I don't know how the room where I will audition them will look like)...

I know that I asked it before, but to be sure, is the positioning which I posted in the first post in this thread ok for Tritons? I know they are little too close to the front wall (1-2 feet) and one of them is quite close to the side wall (< 1 feet)... Wouldn't the bass be boomy or something? I have read somewhere that they should be positioned quite into the room, which is not possible in my apartment.. is it true or not?
The following user(s) said Thank You: anthem

• Moderator's Avatar Offline
    • Thank you received: 3418
Moderator Posted 9 years 8 months ago
You can purchase 220v as a special order in North America (there is an additional charge for 220v models sold in the U.S and Canada). They cannot be changed without replacing both speakers' electronics modules. If you need multi-voltage you will need to get a converter.

Placement issues are not anymore of an issue for the Tritons than they would be for any other full range speaker. Fortunately, the powered bass section Tritons have a level control that allows you to adjust the bass due to any boundary gain caused by too-close boundaries. Making them actually more flexible for placement than a typical full range speaker.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jjanosik

Moderators: Moderator
menu
close
Menu
person_outline
arrow_back
You are here: Home Forum Getting Started Buying Advice Main speakers for my living room