file Room size too big for Triton 7?

• Musichead's Avatar Offline school
    • Thank you received: 7
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
Musichead Posted 10 years 2 months ago
Hi All,

I am new to this forum, and just have a question. I am supposed to pick up a pair of Triton 7s tomorrow, and am wondering
if the 7s will fill the room well enough. The room dimensions are 15x18, and on one side of the room it opens to an
entry way which is an additional 5' wide. There is a used pair of Triton 2 available at the same store, so just wondering
if I should go for the 2s instead? I listen to 2.1 music 75% of the time, and movies or tv 24%.

Any Advice is welcomed.

Thanks!
John
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• WayneWilmeth's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 7040
WayneWilmeth Posted 10 years 2 months ago
Welcome John the Musichead,
Great name.
Good to have you visit the forum. When you say you listen to 2.1 music, do you mean you have a sub already?
IF not and IF you are also a bass head like me, you might well want the Triton 2s. They are GREAT speakers and can really fill a room.
Now, having said that, in all fairness I am a Triton 2 and Triton 3 man. BUTTTTT
I just got a pair of Triton 7s and was quite shocked. I just got them for my surround speakers in my home theater. But being curious, I changed the Triton 3s in my LARGE living room, larger than yours with a 25 ft high ceiling, and played the T7s for a lark. I could not believe how well they filled the room! These are VERY special speakers indeed.
And the bass was better! Not really more bass, but better bass. My room is Very acoustically untreated, bouncing around sounds all over the place. The T7s excited less problems and just sounded much better and still FILLED the ROOM with wonderful music!
I don't know what I am recommending unless it is that you try both in your living room if you can and see what works out for you.
The GOOD news here is that you absolutely cannot go wrong!!!!!
Both the T2s and T7s are GREAT speakers.
YOU WILL enjoy whichever you choose.
God Bless,
Wayne
God bless the child that's got his own.

Hi Wayne,

Thank you for your advice!! I am going with the 7s, as I can always return them with a re-stocking fee if I'm not
happy with them, but I don't think that's going to happen.

I do have a sub, the room has no acoustic treatment, and is carpeted.
If the 7s are filling your large room they will work in our room with no problem. I was also thinking in terms of a
future move to a larger house with a "great" room, but from the sounds of your listening room, they still should be
no problem.

I will set them up with and without the sub and see how they sound. I'll send my thoughts after some initial
listening. Very excited!!

Thanks again!!
John

• WayneWilmeth's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 7040
WayneWilmeth Posted 10 years 2 months ago
Hey John, Musichead,
I am excited for you!!!!
I think you will not regret this decision at all.
Matter of fact, I think you will be shocked at how good the T7s sound, for their smaller size and price.
I am just listening to Willie Nelson "Stardust" while mine are breaking in, and I am thrilled.
You will be too.
Please do write and tell us what you hear, what you think?
All the best,
God Bless,
Wayne
God bless the child that's got his own.

Last edit: 10 years 2 months ago by Moderator. info_outline
Brought home the new speakers on Friday, and right out of the box I was really impressed. I can't find any new words to describe what I'm hearing that hasn't been written before. The vocals are outstanding!! I was realty impressed with the bass, and listened with and without the sub, and think it actually sounds better in 2 channel without the sub. I'm hearing much more detail in all aspects with these speakers: imaging, soundstage, loving the tweeters and mid-range as well!!!

Go buy these speakers!! They are a steal at retail, and my dealer gave me a really good deal, so it was a no brainer!!! If you listen to 2 channel give these a run!!
Will write another summary of my opinion after 100 hours or so.

John

• Timecop's Avatar Offline
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
    • Thank you received: 270
Timecop Posted 10 years 2 months ago
Last edit: 10 years 2 months ago by Timecop. info_outline
I've got a pair of sevens breaking in for about a week now, in a room of similar size (13' x 22', 10' ceilings that are vaulted, hardwood floors, untreated acoustically). I do leave mine paired with the sub most of the time, though I cross it over very low. I'm in the same situation as the OP-the room is on the edge of being too small for two's, but I *might* be able to swing it.

However, it's going to take some time to decide - as the sevens are sounding very articulate and poised for a passive speaker of this size. These are really, really good speakers for the price. That said - I know I'm going to home demo the twos at some point just to get it out of my system. My dealer has a nice "trade-up" policy that gives me more flexibility.

Back to the original topic: my room 13x22 vaulted ceilings, and open to office on one side, open doorway to kitchen on the other. The sevens handle this space well. It was easy to blend in the sub, and it's playing very conservatively. I'd say in this size room you have more options on speakers. Sevens and threes are easy no-brainers, with the twos being possible, and the ones being too much. But still, if you google around you'll see where people have squeezed the triton twos into pretty tight spaces, because they fell in love with the speakers!
Triton Two front L/R
SuperSat 50c center
Triton Seven surround L/R
SuperSat 50 surround rear L/R
AVR Arcam AVR-21
Amp Marantz mm7025
Velodyne optimum 10” sealed, back left corner
SuperSub X front-right corner

Moderators: Moderator
menu
close
Menu
person_outline
arrow_back
You are here: Home Forum Getting Started Buying Advice Room size too big for Triton 7?