file Oppo BDP-105 instead of pre?

• Weinstein's Avatar Offline school
    • Thank you received: 0
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
Weinstein Posted 11 years 3 months ago
Getting the gear for HT for a newly purchased condo.
Speakers: Triton 2s, 60C, MPX x 2 for rear. I have the Emotiva XPA-5 amp.
I've been looking at pre-amps (and even the Denon AVRX-4000 for its connectivity, Audessy room correction, & to drive another room).
I then looked into the Oppo BDP-105 and it seems like it would provide everything I need except the auto room connection, and it would provide A1 audio/video quality. So, has anyone been using it to replace either a pre pro or a receiver? If I get professional manual room calibration is there anything I would be lacking? I know it doesn't have lots of HDMI inputs (only one in the back) but my TV has 3 HDMI inputs. Any thoughts or experience with this? Thanks in advance.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• WayneWilmeth's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 7040
WayneWilmeth Posted 11 years 3 months ago
Well, I was hoping you would get some good answers. As I have been thinking about going the same way myself.
There just isn't much participation on this forum, unfortunately. I think they are all happy GE users, enjoying their music and movies and letting us, the rest of the world slide by.
Hope you find out something, FOR SURE IF you try the OPPO 105, PLEASE report back how things sounded, how it works.
All the best, Wayne
God bless the child that's got his own.

• Moderator's Avatar Offline
    • Thank you received: 3418
Moderator Posted 11 years 3 months ago
Hi guys - activity levels are based on the interest the topic generates. Some of the posts have 1000's of views and many posts.

Anyway, in response to THIS topic, I am unaware of how you could control the volume from the Oppo, or how you could get the TV's Dolby Digital audio signal. If that functionality exists and you can live with the lack of, or very limited, source switching, then sure, it would be a hot setup.

Thanks for responding. The oppo has digital volume control so I've read controlling volume is not an issue.
Regarding getting the TV's Dolby Digital signal, the plan would be to plug the Cable set top box into the Oppo HDMI input and connect the Oppo to the TV for video and to the amp for audio. My needs are limited to getting signals from the cable box, a CD/DVD/Blu-ray player, and streaming from NAS and internet. The 49$ Roku stick they sell with the Oppo would seem to give the last part. I would be missing out on a tuner (but would have internet radio) and phono input (which i don't use). I was hoping to hear from someone who is actually doing this to get feedback on how well or poorly it works.

Seems to be plenty of info re: this at the AVS forum, which is a better place to post this sort of question I suppose.

• WayneWilmeth's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 7040
WayneWilmeth Posted 11 years 3 months ago
Last edit: 11 years 3 months ago by Moderator. Reason: typo info_outline
Well Moderator Dude, there are a lot of us who buy GoldenEar Tech speakers to try and maximize our sound systems on a budget. And we nearly all need a BluRay player. Oppo is generally considered the one to beat. And since pretty much every source can be run through the Oppo 105 and it does have volume control, then this MIGHT we a place one could save money by cutting out the preamp. It has even been argued that this should sound better by having one less box and one less set of interconnects in the system. The Keep It Simple method.
But Weinstein, some say that you need some gain in a preamp, that the 105 as well as passive preamps just do not have the umph to get the sound really going. IF this is really the case, I am very much considering the Conrad Johnson ET3-SE. The good thing about it is, it has a Home Theater bypass, and from all accounts, great sound. BUT it is expensive.
Like you Weinstein, I would really like to hear from any who have tried to use the Oppo as their only preamp.
The AVS forum does have a LOT of discussion about the Oppos, but I find it a pretty unfriendly place. This forum seems to be a much more kind and uncritical place to share ideas. And the AVS forum has tons of naysayers "everything sounds the same".
I am pretty sure the folks on this forum have good taste in sound.
Thanks and best regards,
Wayne
God bless the child that's got his own.

Moderators: Moderator
menu
close
Menu
person_outline
arrow_back
You are here: Home Forum Getting Started Buying Advice Oppo BDP-105 instead of pre?