file Help with Triton One Placement/Use of Casters

• mleuba's Avatar Offline school
    • Thank you received: 3
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
mleuba Posted 9 years 6 months ago
Hello All,

I am an owner of B&W CM 7's. I am planning to upgrade to the Triton Ones soon. But I first have to resolve an issue, size and placement. I am hoping you can help me. I have attached a photo of my room. As you can see, I have the CM 7's placed just in front of the entertainment unit. This is based on the advice of Jim Smith, the noted audio voicing expert. This was just barely ok in this narrow room but not ok as permanent placement of the Triton One's due to their formidable size.

Here is my question, what do you think about the use of roller casters to make the speakers movable? The curved front looks like a problem with stability (I would want 4 corners), so I think I would need to buy/build a platform, rubber topped for grip and isolation.

Also, please note the left side challenges. That furniture can't move, so the tight placement and corner may be an issue, esp. with side placement of the bass drivers. Can I get some advice on this? One option that seems obvious is to downsize my ambition and go with speakers closer in size the the current CM7's, but then am I getting a sufficient upgrade? If I'm going through this effort and cost I want it to be a significant step up.

The listening area is smallish, but the space behind the couch is open (I've included a shot of the back half of the room too.

Thank you so much for your help and advice!

Mark
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• T Cobe's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 4381
T Cobe Posted 9 years 6 months ago
Mark,

What kind of flooring is in that room? I can't quite tell from the pictures. If it's carpet, you could use some furniture sliders along with some very shallow set carpet spikes into the sliders. I've done this in a living room before and it allowed me to move the speakers easily when I needed to. Not sure what the impact would be on sound... I'd be seriously worried about stability if the T1s were on casters. They are fairly narrow.

Please don't take this the wrong way, but I think much of your problem could be solved with a smaller entertainment center. Is that an option? Your mids and tweeters should be good due to the speaker height, but I think you're going to have some bass management issues in the corner. Some good room correction may help with that but the first thing I'd recommend is opening that area up a little with less furniture.

Hope this helps. Hopefully you get some other good recommendations. I look forward to hearing what you decide and how the T1s work out in your space. Please keep us posted.

Cheers,

T COBE
Speakers: Triton One L/R, SCXL, Aon 3 Surr/Back, HTR-7000 Height
Pre/Pro/AVR: Anthem AVM 60, Emotiva XSP-1
Amps: Emotiva XPA-5(2), Emotiva XPA-1L (2)
Sources: Oppo BDP-103D, Emotiva ERC-3, PS4, Pioneer PLX-1000 w/Ortofon 2M Bronze
Display: Epson 6030 UB, Elite Screens 110" Sable

• mleuba's Avatar Offline school
    • Thank you received: 3
mleuba Posted 9 years 6 months ago
T COBE,
Thanks for your suggestions. The flooring is carpet. I will look into the sliders for sure. I get the issue about the bulk of the entertainment center, but I don't think replacement is feasible as it stores a lot of stuff for us. IF the sliders are really functional, I can keep the speakers "pulled out" for most listening but tuck them away when we have company etc. and need to have the added room.

Other ideas welcome too, as you say. Thanks again!

Moderators: Moderator
menu
close
Menu
person_outline
arrow_back
You are here: Home Forum Getting Started Basic Hookup and Wiring Questions Help with Triton One Placement/Use of Casters