question-circle HTR 7000 for Atmos Surrounds?

• twinturbo11's Avatar Offline
    • Thank you received: 87
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
twinturbo11 Posted 9 years 7 months ago
Last edit: 9 years 7 months ago by twinturbo11. info_outline

BluesSailor wrote: Yes, what TwinTurbo11 said made sense. I got that from earlier threads where his placement and equipment options were discussed.

A thank you would be nice! ;)

Regarding your setup, IMHO:

1) 7000s are not possible, unless you make a speaker enclosure box, externally mounted on your ceiling, that allows the speakers to be parallel with the floor. This solution is probably even better using the 650s, because their diameter is smaller than the 7000s, thus making the box more discrete. With your ceiling height also, it makes sense to use the 650s
2) If you dont want an external box, then the 650s are possible IF you position them very wide apart on the slanted ceiling so that the midrange sort of points towards middle of the room. For the highs, since the tweeter is pivotable on the 650s, you can direct them exactly where you want! See attached picture

Both options are slightly compromised because your ceiling is not ideal for home theater use...
HTR7000 7.1.2 ATMOS setup
Marantz SR7011 Atmos Receiver
Nvidia Shield 4k Media Player
Sonos Connect
Sony PS4 Pro
Laser 4k Projector (soon)
Elite 150" motorized screen
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, BluesSailor

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• BluesSailor's Avatar Offline
    • Thank you received: 27
BluesSailor Posted 9 years 7 months ago
Last edit: 9 years 7 months ago by Moderator. info_outline
TwinTurbo11,

Of course, thank you for your input. It really is very much appreciated. Sorry, I thought I had acknowledged that when referencing previous discussions on your installation.

Your suggestions to go high on the slanted ceiling looks interesting. I'll have to give it more thought regarding the angles to the seating position. Perhaps the ability to direct the tweeters on the 650's will provide the necessary adjustment to optimize the sound field. That would place the speakers over 12 ft high and would offer pretty good dispersal to the MLP, helping to minimize the potential for hot spotting. I'll see what my local GE dealer has to say.

I had hoped for a little more explanation of 'slightly outside' as used describe the installation at the CEDIA demo and the reviewer write-ups. Looking at the diagrams in the "GE Speakers for Atmos Systems" showed the heights aligned with the mains.

I had called my local dealer and set a tentative review of my space to get his suggestions but hadn't heard back from him. To be fair, I haven't followed up either but have been using the time to educate myself on what options and limitations I had in front of me.

It's all good. What fun would it be if there was only one solution.

Thanks again. I look forward to your reviews of new Atmos enabled material as it is released as heard through your GE system.

Blues
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth

• twinturbo11's Avatar Offline
    • Thank you received: 87
twinturbo11 Posted 9 years 7 months ago
Last edit: 9 years 7 months ago by twinturbo11. info_outline
Blue, no worries, was just teasing ;)

BluesSailor wrote: I had hoped for a little more explanation of 'slightly outside' as used describe the installation at the CEDIA demo and the reviewer write-ups. Looking at the diagrams in the "GE Speakers for Atmos Systems" showed the heights aligned with the mains.

Depends on two things: (1) which in-ceiling speaker we're speaking of, and (2) how wide apart your fronts are.

For type of speakers, 650s can be aligned with front speakers no problem. 7000s may need to be slightly wider than your fronts IF your fronts are less than 7-8 feet apart. To be more precise, and to resolve the 7000s ceiling speaker positioning once and for all, there is actually a formula that everyone should use : it all comes down to your ceiling height and the 7000's 30 degree fixed angle. If you use the right angle triangle formula, input 30 degrees and the distance between the listener's head and the ceiling: -- you will know precisely how far the 7000s should be positioned from the listener.

So as an example, if your head is 8.5 feet below your ceiling, each 7000 should be positioned ~4.9 feet away from you, so that they point towards your head. With these kinds of distances you can see how the 7000s used as heights are fairly wide apart, which is why the moderator said that the 7000s can even be "slightly outside" than the fronts.

Hope this clarifies :)
HTR7000 7.1.2 ATMOS setup
Marantz SR7011 Atmos Receiver
Nvidia Shield 4k Media Player
Sonos Connect
Sony PS4 Pro
Laser 4k Projector (soon)
Elite 150" motorized screen

• BluesSailor's Avatar Offline
    • Thank you received: 27
BluesSailor Posted 9 years 7 months ago
Last edit: 9 years 7 months ago by BluesSailor. info_outline
TT,

Thanks again for putting the time in to address my questions and particular situation. Let's continue this discussion back channel via PM since we are focusing on my installation which is outside standard Invisa applications.

Look for my PM.

Blues
Attachments:

Moderators: Moderator
menu
close
Menu
person_outline
arrow_back
You are here: Home Forum Support Invisa Series HTR 7000 for Atmos Surrounds?