file Amplifier Pairing with Triton 3's...

• Bluesman's Avatar Offline school
    • Thank you received: 7
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
Bluesman Posted 7 years 3 months ago
2nd quick post tonight. I have newly acquired Triton 3's and am currently driving them with a nicely preserved Musical Fidelity A3.2 Integrated amp. The sound is pretty solid at this point but now the "upgrade" bug is nibbling. I'd like to stay with an integrated if I make a move. I was curious what other Triton listeners are pairing with their speakers. The Rogue Sphinx has me intrigued as well as the Marantz PM 8005 (I have a 6005 cd player). Some of the newer Yamaha's have solid reviews as well and I would certainly entertain used as well. Thanks in advance!
Dan
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, rjohn79395

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Rackon's Avatar Offline
    • Thank you received: 55
Rackon Posted 7 years 3 months ago
We own the PM 8005's predecessor, the PM 8004. It's a great integrated for the money. We tried it with the 3s at a recent audition and found the pairing to be an excellent match. (The person I bought the 8004 from paired it with GE Tritons 2s.) The Marantz also has the bonus of an excellent phono stage if that's important to you. In a former audio life I owned Herron mono amps and tubed preamp costing many thousands more. I loved my Herron gear but am surprised at how good the Marantz sounds for 1/6 the investment. If you like Marantz and you're on a budget, the 8005 is a must audition.

I also owned a couple of Rogue pre/amp combos back in the day and found them excellent value as well, plus you can tube roll (which no longer appeals to me but it might to you). The Sphinx will be a somwhat different flavor from the PM 8005, best to audition with your 3s if you can. I heard a couple Yamaha integrateds last month with the Tritons but preferred the Marantz 8005 and the Rega Brio-R. YMMV. (As listeners to large scale classical we are picky picky about treble on massed strings. And transparency.)

We seem to be in a golden age of affordable integrated amps - there's a wide range of good options - both ss and tubed - from Prima Luna, Parasound (I know some here are using the Halo), Musical Fidelity, Creek, Rega etc. I'm sure Triton owners will chime in soon. If I were starting from scratch I would be looking at a new or used Hegel integrated with built-in DAC - the Hegels are absolute killer amps for the money. The beautiful thing is, with Triton Threes you don't need gobs of watts to make them sing.

I also have to admit I love integrated amps for their one box solution. Smaller footprint. Fewer cables. (We are into simplification these days.)

Congrats on your Threes! Hopefully we'll have a pair of 3+ in our living room very soon.
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, rjohn79395

That info. will be well-taken. Thank you for that valuable input!
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth

• WayneWilmeth's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 7040
WayneWilmeth Posted 7 years 3 months ago
Welcome Dan the Bluesman!!!! Love the handle!!!!
I agree a LOT with what Rackon said.
And my next statement is a shocker for me, but here goes, I tried a really good tube integrated with my Triton 3s and did not like the sound. Can't believe I said that. Marantz worked much better with the T 3s for me. (Well I had a Marantz pre-pro and either a Bel Canto power amp or my old but great Aragon 4004 mkii amp).
For several reasons I liked SS with the T 3s over tubes. With most speakers I love tubes.
And I really love the Blues. You will love the T 3s.
Happy listening,
God Bless,
Wayne
God bless the child that's got his own.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Bluesman, rjohn79395

• ArthurDaniels's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 1811
ArthurDaniels Posted 7 years 3 months ago
I am using a Cambridge 851A Amp and a Cambridge Dac Magic Plus. Both units have made a substantial difference in my audio setup, which consists of Triton Ones as L/R Fronts A Speakers and Triton Sevens and SuperSat 3Cs as B Speakers, placed on the sides.
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, Bluesman

I'm strongly considering the Rogue Sphinx v2, a hybrid amp. Best of both worlds? Made in the USA and gets solid reviews across the board. My MuFi A3.2 is actually still a good amp, just getting a bit long in the tooth...
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth

Moderators: Moderator
menu
close
Menu
person_outline
arrow_back
You are here: Home Forum Support Triton Series Amplifier Pairing with Triton 3's...