question-circle Can Triton Towers be located in a built-in cabinet

• mgo's Avatar Offline school
    • Thank you received: 0
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
mgo Posted 11 years 8 months ago
Last edit: 11 years 8 months ago by mgo. info_outline
I am in the process of designing/completing a home theatre room. I had initially designed built-in cabinets 51"h x 20"w x 19"d into which I would locate the towers. The cabinets are open at the front. After reading the installation manuals and other literature on this site, I am beginning to think that this may produce sub-optimal listening results due to ventilation issues. I am still at the rough-in stage so I have time to re-design if required. I guess my question is: can I locate the towers in the built-in cabinets I've constructed, or would I be better off locating the towers on the floor? Any input in this regard would be very much appreciated. Thanks.

Some other information:
Room size is 12' 8" wide x 17" deep x 6" 9" high
TV located along 12' 8" wall.
Rear of room is open.
Lateral centre of speaker cabinets is 18" from each side wall and bottom of cabinet is 15.75" from ground (to be carpeted).

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• WayneWilmeth's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 7040
WayneWilmeth Posted 11 years 8 months ago
Dear mgo,
I have no credentials other than being a stereo buff and home theater nut for a LONG time, but IF you don't mind someone jumping in here with an opinion ---NO, don't do that with the Triton towers, either the 2s or the 3s.
First, they have side woofer panels that will be "firing" or playing right at the sides of the cabinets you build them into, which will severely hamper their bass response, actually it will probably mess the bass up entirely.
Second, one of the beauties of the GoldenEar line of speakers is that they are NOT built in boxes, therefore they do not have all the horrible box resonances that one gets from most speakers. Putting them in a cabinet will make all those audio gremlins come back to haunt the sound and music.
Third, if I am reading your message right, you do NOT want to raise these speakers up that high, they are made to sit on the floor. Raising them up would put the tweeters way up above your ear level, which will seriously skew the sound and presentation.
All the GoldenEar line of speakers will need to have air around them and a good bit of it, to sound their best for you.
I hope this helps, have a Great New Year and all the best building your home theater.
God bless the child that's got his own.

• mgo's Avatar Offline school
mgo Posted 11 years 8 months ago
Wayne - Thank you very much for taking the time to consider my dilemma and providing some much needed guidance. I have some work to do now to close in the speaker openings but much better to re-work the design at this stage rather than once the finishes are complete. Much, much appreciated! Happy New Year to you, too.

Mike

• Moderator's Avatar Offline
    • Thank you received: 3418
Moderator Posted 11 years 8 months ago
Yes, Wayne is correct - the speaker put in a box will sound like, well, a speaker in box. Keeping the tweeter close to ear level is also an important part of placement, although the further away you sit the less this becomes an issue. If the idea is to hide the speakers, a false wall is a good way to keep the speaker out in the open but still hidden.

• Steelskyblue's Avatar Offline
Steelskyblue Posted 11 years 8 months ago
I am no expert but I can not imagine putting my Triton IIs into a box. I do not want to repeat everything Wayne said but yes ditto on all counts - especially raising them off the floor -- remember no one listens to music standing, we sit down -- unless you have raised seating then raise away.

And for their size (these speakers are BIG really big) they actually blend in and look smaller once placed in a room, they are not distracting, annoying looking etc. Their angled design not only serves the sound, it also makes them sleeker, less obtrusive.

Moderators: Moderator
menu
close
Menu
person_outline
arrow_back
You are here: Home Forum Support Triton Series Can Triton Towers be located in a built-in cabinet