question-circle Help me deciding the amplifier

• Umer Hameed's Avatar Offline school
    • Thank you received: 52
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
Umer Hameed Posted 8 years 10 months ago
Last edit: 8 years 10 months ago by Umer Hameed. info_outline

WayneWilmeth wrote: Hey Umer,
These guys beat me to it, but you have your T7s set to Large, that is incorrect.
You are in for a treat when you set them to small and a 80 Hz crossover to your FF5.
THEN the B & W speakers will be no contest either, OK< I may be prejudiced!!!!!
Please try it and let us know what you think?
Happy listening, God Bless, Wayne

Have u tested the Bowers and wilkins 683? If yes then u are not prejudiced. But if not then i might say that you have the deep love for goldenear. :lol: Just kidding. I have heard that these speakers can easily beat the twice of the price speakers but did not demoed yet. ;)
Triton Two
Super Centre XL
Super Centre 3
Yamaha Rx V1900
Kimber 8 TC Speaker Cable
Oelbach Subwoofer Cable
Popcorn Hour V-ten
Logitech Harmony Ultimate Touch
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Umer Hameed's Avatar Offline school
    • Thank you received: 52
Umer Hameed Posted 8 years 10 months ago

WayneWilmeth wrote: Hey Umer,
Two things, I am fond of the Aons far above the SSs. But that is just my opinion. Others would disagree.
They may not be as easy to use for surrounds as the SSs, but will sound better, IMHO.
Have you listened to the Aons and compared them to the SuperSats?
As to equalizer, I am not sure you mean YPAO, or another. YPAO, is room correction and unless it really messes with the sound is OK and sometimes needed. An equalizer messes with the soud and is usually not good.
These are just opinions and you really have to go with what sounds the best to you.
Your comments sound like you have a good ear, so trust your own senses.
Hope this helps,
God Bless,
Wayne

No Wayne. I have not compared Sat to Aon yet. I am seeking the chance to get the hands on both and compare them. But i have read in many forums that there is no recogniseable difference between Super sat 50 and super sat 3 when they set to surround and crossover at 100 or 120Hz. Same thing i am curious about the Aons and sat 3. One more thing restricted me about using Aon in my surrounds is my amplifier. May be my Avr would be under perform when Aon are set in surrounds. What do u suggest.?
Triton Two
Super Centre XL
Super Centre 3
Yamaha Rx V1900
Kimber 8 TC Speaker Cable
Oelbach Subwoofer Cable
Popcorn Hour V-ten
Logitech Harmony Ultimate Touch
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth

• T Cobe's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 4381
T Cobe Posted 8 years 10 months ago
Umer,

Welcome to the forum and congratulations on your new system. You've selected a great combination int eh T7s and SCXL. I bet it sounds great!

You've been getting some good recommendations on tuning your new system I'd definitely focus on tuning things in first and foremost. Once you have things dialed in, you can decide if you require more speaker by upgrading your SSATs to Aons. In my opinion, with the advent of new directional sound formats, there will be more full frequency sound coming from your surround speakers. As Atmos and DTS:X become more widely used, there will be a bigger benefit in having larger surrounds. To future proof your system, you may wish to consider upgrading your surrounds to Aons if the budget allows. I have the Aon 3s and they work very well! Your AVR should drive the Aons just fine, BTW.

In terms of using your EQ, I say go with what sounds best to you. I have issues with bass in my vocals as well and have tinkered around a great deal with Audessey. I had to run the software multiple times to find a good solution and even then, I turn it off for listening to music. Go with what you enjoy most. Any recommendation for set up is just that, a recommendation. At the end of the day, it is your system and you should enjoy it!

Regarding comparisons with B&W, that is very subjective. You have a few options to settle the dispute with your friend. First, you can review on line professional reviews and I think you will find that the Triton 7 has more praise than the 683s. Second, you can do a direct comparison of sound in the same room with the same equipment by just swapping both sets of speakers. If you go this route, you may want to have some neutral parties in attendance. IMHO, the CM10 by B&W may be a closer match than the 683 but then you are in Triton Two territory for price and it's no longer close. The T7 has a much better tweeter and sweeter sounding mids. The 683 is too laid back and almost sounds boxy to me but it does sound "larger" and I believe had a little more power in the bass frequencies but that is a small consolation compared to the rest of the audio spectrum.

Regarding volume levels, reference volume on your receiver should be with the volume at 0 dB and that is far more than 75 dB. 75 dB is used for calibration simply because it is easier on the ears. I believe reference is around 95 dB with peaks around 105, but a quick Google search will spell that out. I may be a little off. Bottom line, your AVR should be fine for now. Your speakers are very efficient and your settings indicate that your Yamaha is not struggling at all to generate reference level volume. My recommendation, as stated above, get your settings all figured out so that your system is operating optimally and then judge from there if you want to upgrade. I think you will be surprised how good it all sounds once you have it tuned in properly for your ears and your room!

Good luck and happy listening! Enjoy your new system and don't get too caught up in audio perfection. There is no such thing. As they say, beauty is in the eye (or ear) of the beholder.

Cheers,

T Cobe
Speakers: Triton One L/R, SCXL, Aon 3 Surr/Back, HTR-7000 Height
Pre/Pro/AVR: Anthem AVM 60, Emotiva XSP-1
Amps: Emotiva XPA-5(2), Emotiva XPA-1L (2)
Sources: Oppo BDP-103D, Emotiva ERC-3, PS4, Pioneer PLX-1000 w/Ortofon 2M Bronze
Display: Epson 6030 UB, Elite Screens 110" Sable
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, Umer Hameed

• ArthurDaniels's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 1811
ArthurDaniels Posted 8 years 10 months ago
Hello Umer,

I have downloaded the manual for your Yamaha Receiver. Following are some suggestions for you to try:

1. When listening to music, try the Pure Direct listening mode (Page 45 in your manual). Also consider the Straight Mode (Page 44).

2. Assuming you have your Force Field 5 Sub connected to the Yamaha Sub Pre Out: Review the manual to see if there is a setting that allows the sub to be operational when the Amp is in the Pure Direct Mode.

3. Consider using a second pre-amplifier or Receiver to drive the Force Field 5 sub woofer. Using a second pre-amp or Receiver will allow you to independently adjust the volume level of the Force Field 5 Sub and might allow you to independently set the cross-over for the Force Field 5.

Setting up an AV Receiver such as your Yamaha is complicated because there are many options. Be sure to read your Yamaha manual completely so that you are sure you understand the options available to you.

I recommend not using the Yamaha room-correction process and I recommend turning the Yamaha Equalizer OFF for best music. I do not have recommendations for best movie setup because I watch so few movies with my system.

I believe you can achieve a high level of audio satisfaction with your present equipment, but you will have to be willing to experiment with the options available to you to determine best sound settings.

Regards,

Art
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, T Cobe, Umer Hameed

• murphyslaw1978's Avatar Offline
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
    • Thank you received: 337
murphyslaw1978 Posted 8 years 10 months ago

Umer Hameed wrote:

Moderator wrote:

Umer Hameed wrote: I ran YPAO and got the results according to which my centre would be LARGE, my front also LARGE, surrounds to small and crossover at 160Hz. YPAO also tweak something in equalizer which i kind of like as it makes the dialogues more clear.

If there is a sub in the system none of the speakers in your setup should be set to LARGE. If you only have one crossover setting, select all speakers as small and use a 80Hz or 100Hz crossover. You will get much better results that way, especially in terms of dynamics and bass response.

I have already tried by setting the triton 7 and super centre XL at small but somehow i like triton 7 set to large and super centre XL to small. But i will try again and will listen this setting for two or three good days then i will let u know and seek guidance if required.

One problem which i am facing is the bass resonance in the dialogue from centre and the fronts may be due to my room acoustics or setting. After running the YPAO Equalizer this muddiness gone. Just to give u an idea this equalizer set the frequency of front 63HZ to -7db and of the 140Hz to -5 same as to the right speaker and of the centre speaker.

What shoud i do in this situation. Should is use the equalizer settings?

You're likely getting the bass resonance because your sub could be overlapping with your fronts in the upper bass range. You basically want all frequencies above 80 or 100Hz to hit your t7s and center, and the sub should handle anything 80Hz or below. If your AVR only has one crossover setting, you may set it as high as the weakest link in your system.
7.1 today, moving to 7.1.4 tomorrow
(2) Triton Two - front mains
(1) Sat 60C - center
(2) Sat 50s - sides
(2) Sat 50s - rear
(2) DIY 18" Stereo Integrity subs, 1100w each

• murphyslaw1978's Avatar Offline
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
    • Thank you received: 337
murphyslaw1978 Posted 8 years 10 months ago
Ypao and other room correction software on many of these AVRs are quite good. But as you can tell some 2-channel folks here have pointed out that better sound can be had by running pure direct and setting things up manually. If you have the time, do both. If you just want it to work, and don't have the time, the YPAO will probably take care of much of the room modes issue. That said, I would tune everything manually first - set your crossovers and levels, find the speaker positions, seating positions, etc. When it sounds good, save your settings and then run YPAO and see if it's better.

Finally, I didn't mention it in the past, but B&W make some really excellent speakers. I would try listen to both pairs before you buy either if you can, and in the same room. I'm guessing the differences would be minimal between the two on paper, but people have preferences, and you may like one over the other.
7.1 today, moving to 7.1.4 tomorrow
(2) Triton Two - front mains
(1) Sat 60C - center
(2) Sat 50s - sides
(2) Sat 50s - rear
(2) DIY 18" Stereo Integrity subs, 1100w each

Moderators: Moderator
menu
close
Menu
person_outline
arrow_back
You are here: Home Forum Support Triton Series TritonCinema Help me deciding the amplifier