file Triton towers with built-in amps prone to failure...?

• GDHAL's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 879
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
GDHAL Posted 2 years 8 months ago

new24k,

I had an amp failure in one of my TRefs (intermittend noise problem). I contacted GoldenEar after the warranty had expired, and they replaced my amp free of charge. I was very impressed with the customer service. Chet sent me the new amp and detailed instructions on how to replace the old one. I did the job myself with no problems.

I highly recommend these speakers!

Charlie

Charlie, first I'm sorry you had a problem to begin with. Second, I'm comforted by your reply as to the resolution of the problem. I have a question or two for you if you don't mind.

First, what made you contact GoldenEar directly instead of your dealer? In my case, my dealership is a "preferred" GE dealer and I'd be inclined to have them (dealer) do the leg work of contacting GE, obtaining the part and doing the service.

Second, do you have the detailed instructions in an electronic PDF format? If so, can you please share that here on the forum?

Third, Iwhen you write "detailed" instructions, that leads me to believe it could conceivably be somewhat complicated. Can you describe the process a bit?

Thank you.
Golden Ear Triton Reference (pair), Musical Fidelity M6si, Schiit Yggdrasil-OG-B, Oppo UDP-205, Emotiva ERC-3, LG OLED65C9PUA, Salamander Synergy Triple Unit SL20, Audeze LCD-X, GIK acoustic paneling
halr.x10.mx/TritonReference.htm ; halr.x10.mx/other.html

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• charliehatch's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 904
charliehatch Posted 2 years 8 months ago
GDHAL,

I did contact my dealer first. Trouble is, the dealer is in Sacramento, a 2.5 hour drive from where I live. This is complicated by the fact that I'd have to schlep a 100+ lb speaker into my SUV. Risks abound, not the least of which would be damage to my aging back. After discussing options with the dealer, he recommended I call GET directly, which I did. The rest, as they say, is history.

I do have a pdf of the replacement instructions. I won't post them here unless the Moderator approves.

YO MODERATOR!!! Is it OK for me to post the TRef amp replacement instructions here?

Is the process complicated? That depends on your level of handyman ability. I didn't think it was bad at all, but I'm a mechanical engineer. A bunch of screws. You remove the plinth on the bottom. There are two parts to the amp, one on the bottom, the other on the back where the level control is. Remove both and swap in the new parts. The connectors are fairly easy.

Charlie
Digital source > multiple boxes and cables that are always changing > Triton Reference speakers

• GDHAL's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

GDHAL,

I did contact my dealer first. Trouble is, the dealer is in Sacramento, a 2.5 hour drive from where I live. This is complicated by the fact that I'd have to schlep a 100+ lb speaker into my SUV. Risks abound, not the least of which would be damage to my aging back. After discussing options with the dealer, he recommended I call GET directly, which I did. The rest, as they say, is history.

I do have a pdf of the replacement instructions. I won't post them here unless the Moderator approves.

YO MODERATOR!!! Is it OK for me to post the TRef amp replacement instructions here?

Is the process complicated? That depends on your level of handyman ability. I didn't think it was bad at all, but I'm a mechanical engineer. A bunch of screws. You remove the plinth on the bottom. There are two parts to the amp, one on the bottom, the other on the back where the level control is. Remove both and swap in the new parts. The connectors are fairly easy.

Charlie

Charlie, I shall PM you my email address. It should be okay to post though. If I recall a while back I posted the GE instructions as to how to remove the front grill from the T Refs.

My dealer is about 20 miles away, but they would come to me to do the repair!

Thanks for the prompt reply.
Golden Ear Triton Reference (pair), Musical Fidelity M6si, Schiit Yggdrasil-OG-B, Oppo UDP-205, Emotiva ERC-3, LG OLED65C9PUA, Salamander Synergy Triple Unit SL20, Audeze LCD-X, GIK acoustic paneling

• GDHAL's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Last edit: 2 years 8 months ago by GDHAL. info_outline
@charliehatch, did you get my PM? At one point I saw the message in my outbox, I no longer do. Can you please just check my signature, which contains my website URL. From there you can get my email addy. Thank you.

EDIT 1 - 2 minutes later:

Never mind. I see you already sent me an email. Thank you!

EDIT 2 - 10 minutes later

All I can write is "kudos to you" Charlie. This is NOT an undertaking I personally would feel comfortable with doing by myself. The aforementioned stated, I will have my dealer "deal" with it when/if the time (hopefully never) comes. Of course, I shall retain the instructions for reference and remain Grateful that you've sent them to me.
The following user(s) said Thank You: charliehatch

• charliehatch's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 904
charliehatch Posted 2 years 8 months ago
Odd. Yes, I saw it and sent you an email. You didn't get it?
Digital source > multiple boxes and cables that are always changing > Triton Reference speakers
The following user(s) said Thank You: GDHAL

• GDHAL's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

Odd. Yes, I saw it and sent you an email. You didn't get it?

Got it. See my post prior to yours.
The following user(s) said Thank You: charliehatch

Moderators: Moderator
menu
close
Menu
person_outline
arrow_back
You are here: Home Forum Support Triton Series Triton Towers Triton towers with built-in amps prone to failure...?