file Triton towers with built-in amps prone to failure...?

• new24k's Avatar Offline school
    • Thank you received: 10
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
new24k Posted 2 years 8 months ago
Have been interested in the 1.R for awhile now...

However, there seems to be several posts in various forums on the Internet stating that the amps that GoldenEar uses in their towers are prone to failure - and almost always within a few years after the 3 year warranty runs out.

Anyone have any problems with their Tritons with built-in amps...?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• GDHAL's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 879
GDHAL Posted 2 years 8 months ago

Have been interested in the 1.R for awhile now...

However, there seems to be several posts in various forums on the Internet stating that the amps that GoldenEar uses in their towers are prone to failure - and almost always within a few years after the 3 year warranty runs out.

Anyone have any problems with their Tritons with built-in amps...?

I've read of amp failures here on the golden ear forum but I haven't really scoured the internet or read of amp failures on other websites having to do with golden ear products. I've personally owned a pair of golden ear Triton one speakers and have had the golden ear Triton reference speakers since July 2017 and haven't had any issues.

And in general the posts here on the forum that have to do with amp failures end up with a positive resolution. Meaning the plate amp has been replaced relatively easily and free of charge.

Something else to keep in mind which I've also read here on the forum is that even when the manufacturer warranty expires , golden ear has a tendency of honoring the product warranty even after it expires.

All of the aforemention stated, your concern is certainly genuine and there's always a possibility of a problem arising. So there's always a degree of chance or luck if you will that you're particular serial number(s) speaker(s) will be free of any defects for many many years.
Golden Ear Triton Reference (pair), Musical Fidelity M6si, Schiit Yggdrasil-OG-B, Oppo UDP-205, Emotiva ERC-3, LG OLED65C9PUA, Salamander Synergy Triple Unit SL20, Audeze LCD-X, GIK acoustic paneling
halr.x10.mx/TritonReference.htm ; halr.x10.mx/other.html
The following user(s) said Thank You: rjohn79395

• anthem's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 9175
anthem Posted 2 years 8 months ago
New24k:
To say that the Plate Amps in the GE Towers are prone to failure is simply untrue. In GE's roughly 10 years in the marketplace, plate amp failure has been extremely small. I've owned GE Towers in various forms for over 9 years...NO failures of any kind. New24k, don't let a few plate amp failures detour you from owning a pair of 1.R's. You will be bowled over with their performance.

As GHAL has stated, the GE support team goes above and beyond what the warranty states. If the plate amp fails (given you are the Original owner) you will not be left out in the cold. GE will make you whole.
D-Sonic m3a-600m Mono > McIntosh MC152 > Primaluna ProLogue Premium Preamp > Oppo UDP205 > Decware ZLC > Triton Reference > Isoacoustics Gaia 2 > Canare 4S11 Speaker Cables > Audience Forte 3, Anticable L3 & Shunyata Venom PC's

Every great performance deserves an Audience!

• Moderator's Avatar Offline
    • Thank you received: 3416
Moderator Posted 2 years 8 months ago
Hi new24k, The amplifier used in the Triton One.R towers has been quite reliable. If (on the odd chance) you have an issue with this amplifier, I'm confident that GoldenEar's customer service department will go out of their way to help you. Happy Listening!

• southsider's Avatar Offline
    • Thank you received: 7
southsider Posted 2 years 8 months ago
Last edit: 2 years 8 months ago by southsider. info_outline
The GE CS is top notch I had an issue with a subwoofer amp on a used pair of Triton3s which was DOA was taken care of promptly with their exchange program. Thank you Chet & GE CS folks.

• charliehatch's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 904
charliehatch Posted 2 years 8 months ago
new24k,

I had an amp failure in one of my TRefs (intermittend noise problem). I contacted GoldenEar after the warranty had expired, and they replaced my amp free of charge. I was very impressed with the customer service. Chet sent me the new amp and detailed instructions on how to replace the old one. I did the job myself with no problems.

I highly recommend these speakers!

Charlie
Digital source > multiple boxes and cables that are always changing > Triton Reference speakers
The following user(s) said Thank You: GDHAL

Moderators: Moderator
menu
close
Menu
person_outline
arrow_back
You are here: Home Forum Support Triton Series Triton Towers Triton towers with built-in amps prone to failure...?