file Triton towers with built-in amps prone to failure...?

• moraga97's Avatar Offline
    • Thank you received: 1
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
moraga97 Posted 2 years 5 months ago
I am the original owner of a pair of Triton 2's since early 2011. They are simply excellent for both straight ahead music listening as well as surround cinema.

A few months ago the left channel started to crackle, intermittent, and then more constant and louder. It was traced to the sub amp in the column. (simply by unplugging the left speaker power cord....) I wrote Goldenears an email, and they replied promptly with an offer to replace the amp. I had a choice of either taking it to the dealer, or doing it myself, and after reading a .pdf of how to do it, I went that route. I just finished doing it. It took me about 40 minutes, going slow, and taking pictures to make sure I didn't screw it up, but its actually quite straightforward. Back up and running, playing bass heavy tracks for fun.

All is well.

I've owned the speakers for 10 years. When the amp went out I could still listen to music and watch movies, albeit minus the sub amp on one side. The fix was painless. Back in business, so I am a satisfied customer. In addition, cost is free, IF you return the parts you replaced.

p.s. Try the track Temple Caves on Planet Drum by Mickey Hart to test the low musicality of the bass...

-Bill
The following user(s) said Thank You: charliehatch

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• GDHAL's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 879
GDHAL Posted 2 years 5 months ago

..... p.s. Try the track Temple Caves on Planet Drum by Mickey Hart to test the low musicality of the bass...-Bill

For that matter, you can try the drums track on virtually any Grateful Dead show to test the *outstanding* bass. B) ;)
Golden Ear Triton Reference (pair), Musical Fidelity M6si, Schiit Yggdrasil-OG-B, Oppo UDP-205, Emotiva ERC-3, LG OLED65C9PUA, Salamander Synergy Triple Unit SL20, Audeze LCD-X, GIK acoustic paneling
halr.x10.mx/TritonReference.htm ; halr.x10.mx/other.html
The following user(s) said Thank You: charliehatch

• charliehatch's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 904
charliehatch Posted 2 years 5 months ago
moraga97,

Glad to hear you're back up and running OK! Your experience matched my own, excellent customer support and the amp swap was not a big deal.

That Temple Caves track is one of my favorites for showing how musical and powerful the bass can be on these speakers. (In my case, TRefs.)

Charlie
Digital source > multiple boxes and cables that are always changing > Triton Reference speakers

• Dave's Avatar Offline
    • Thank you received: 12
Dave Posted 2 years 3 months ago
Well I have had my T2' since they came out. And yes I have gone through multiple amp replacements in both towers. All handled through a certified GE dealer., and through emails with Chet at GE which has been a pleasant experience. Well last week, one of my towers amp's went out, yep this one was replaced last year. Its getting rather old. No other electrical component in the sound chain has failed. My Denon AVR, my OPP 105, my Lumin streamer , my Sony TV all working fine, but the T2's amps just don't seem to last. SO Tomorrow I guess I will either call GE or call my local GE dealer and see what's next, as when this gets resolved yet again. I'm done with my GE Towers. I really enjoy them, but its getting old. . It all started in 2015, then 2016, then 2020 and then 2021. ITs' always the amp. The system is used for TV/HT.
Denon 4311, OPPO 205, Lumin D2 Network Streamer, Sony 65" OLED, GE Triton 2, GE Super Sat 50/50, GE Super Sat 3C, All cables Blue Jean.
The following user(s) said Thank You: charliehatch, new24k

• charliehatch's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 904
charliehatch Posted 2 years 3 months ago
Hi Dave,

I'm sorry to hear you've had so much trouble with these speakers.

I've had my share of woes with Class D amps in general, having had 4 failures (only one was my TRef. I've gotten to the point where I'm a little leery of them. So what did I do? Bought PS Audio M1200 monoblocks, which are Class D! Some people never learn.:cheer:

As for TVs, I've gone through three flat screens, each at around 2 years old, the last of which was a Sony OLED. I think my TV placement between the speakers was unfortunate and they were getting killed by sound level vibration. So after I tossed the last one, I've done without flat screens.

Since you've had so much trouble with these, I wonder if you're pushing them too hard in your particular setup. Maybe you need something with more bass power than the T2s. My TRefs have 1800 W each, and in my room (15x20x10) they do the job. (I only use them now for 2.0 stereo, no home theater.) Just a thought.

Charlie
Digital source > multiple boxes and cables that are always changing > Triton Reference speakers

• Dave's Avatar Offline
    • Thank you received: 12
Dave Posted 2 years 3 months ago
Last edit: 2 years 3 months ago by Dave. info_outline
At 69, I don't push my speakers, These towers are used 95% of the time for plain old TV. And NOT loud mind you and the amp setting is around '9' . Its just plain old TV at a normal volume at 8 feet away. The wife doesn't like loud.

OH and if I wanted to "rock out, I have a 2 chl system in the den, with a pair of parasound JC1's and Salons 2'.
Denon 4311, OPPO 205, Lumin D2 Network Streamer, Sony 65" OLED, GE Triton 2, GE Super Sat 50/50, GE Super Sat 3C, All cables Blue Jean.

Moderators: Moderator
menu
close
Menu
person_outline
arrow_back
You are here: Home Forum Support Triton Series Triton Towers Triton towers with built-in amps prone to failure...?