file SuperSat 60 vs. Triton Towers?

• mikehbarlow's Avatar Offline school
    • Thank you received: 0
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
mikehbarlow Posted 10 years 9 months ago
I have just purchased a system comprising SuperSat 60's for the front sound stage and a couple of SuperSat 3's for surrounds. I will eventually get two Invisa speakers for the rear surrounds. I am moving into these speakers and leaving behind some reference Klispch towers (6.5" drivers) with matched surrounds. I love the sound of the Goldenears, particular the mid to high end! My only issue now is the size of my sound stage. I have a large dedicated theater room (14' wide by 25' deep) that opens into a concessions / game room that is similar in size. My plan was to couple each of the SuperSat 60's with a ForceField 4 sub -- in essence re-creating the Triton 2 tower for my left and right channels, but using 2 separate pieces. My question is this; can a get a bigger soundstage by using the Triton 2 Towers instead of 2 SuperSat 60's with 2 ForceField 4 subs? I use the theater for abut 95% movie watching and 5% causal music listening. I have been auditioning the SuperSat 60's for about a week now with my old Paradigm sub (only 300 watts) and I have noticed a drop in overall 'oomph' compared to my Klipsch towers. I am wondering if it is because I don't have the ForceField subs yet, or if I am hearing the difference between a satellite and tower. I like the idea of the clean look of the satellites mounted on the walls and the subs hidden away in my custom made compartments, but if I am sacrificing overall quality and sound, I don't want to do that. Also, by going with the Triton 2 towers, I would actually save $100 per side. So money is not an issue -- I just want the biggest movie sound and experience I can get.

Please help, thanks.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Moderator's Avatar Offline
    • Thank you received: 3416
Moderator Posted 10 years 9 months ago
Did you reset you bass management settings when you changed to the Satellites? I am sure the SuperSat requires a significantly higher crossover frequency setting than your old speakers. That is probably where the sonic problem lies. The SuperSats are also probably less efficient than the Klipsch speakers, meaning you would need to turn the sub level up to compensate for this difference to achieve a correct balance.

Both the SuperSat system and the Triton system will throw out a very large soundstage if properly positioned in the room. Since the towers would be positioned out into the room (vs. the SuperSats on the wall), it is likely the Tritons will produce a slightly more three dimensional soundstage.

Yes I did change the bass management. I have the reciever set at the 100hz crossover as suggested by the owners manual that came with the 60's. I have noticed that I have to turn up the volume to get the same sound. The center speaker sounds incredible, but I feel like the orchestral movements during high action and 'big' scenes just aren't 'filling the room' -- which I assume is primarily driven by the mains. From what I can see the SuperSat60 and the Tritons look very similar in construction when it comes to the mid-range and tweeter. In fact, it looks like the compartment for the mid-range and tweeter is about the same depth that the SuperSat 60's use. It seems that the 'sound' really shouldn't be any different when it is coupled with a ForceField sub, which I will do sometime next year. I would guess that I wouldn't notice too much of a difference if I were to get the Tritons ordered and set up -- probably not worth the hassle of a change, especially if I like the look of the 60's. So, is there a way to create a bigger sound stage and 3d imaging with my current set-up? Can I bump the center down a few notches to make the mains sound 'bigger'?

That's fine, you may want to try 120 Hz (or 150 Hz if 120 is not available). Also, you did not mention if you adjusted the sub level to match? And make sure the crossover on the sub is fully up (or off). Yes, you can certainly turn down the center a bit to give more L/R separation.

All the GoldenEar speaker use the same tweeter and similar design midrange drivers. The primary differences are the on-wall vs the in-room setup. I have heard many SuperSat 50 and 60 cinemas that sounded very "big" ... are you L/R speakers far enough apart (they should be as far apart as your listening distance for best soundstage creation)?

I have not checked my sub crossover. I will do that. I have adjusted th sub's volume and I think I have it up high enough -- it really makes it's presence known during th big scenes. I have the mains far apart an other side of a 10' wide screen (137" diagonal). I checked, and it matches the recommended distance apart for 'best imaging'.

So you don't think I will gain much by going with the Triton 2 if I am mainly using my system for movies?

Movies or music is really no difference, good sound is good sound. Your system as described, properly setup and broken in should sound spectacular. If you like the on-wall setup there's simply no reason to switch to the floor standing alternative. The only real difference is the effect of room placement - on the wall vs out in the room.

Moderators: Moderator
menu
close
Menu
person_outline
arrow_back
You are here: Home Forum Support SuperSat Series SuperCinema Systems SuperSat 60 vs. Triton Towers?