file SuperSat 60 vs. Triton Towers?

• mikehbarlow's Avatar Offline school
    • Thank you received: 0
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
mikehbarlow Posted 10 years 9 months ago
Thanks for your help. I am going to try bump my center channel down a few notches to create the illusion that the speakers are placed farther out in the room -- like the towers would be, and adjust my sub crossover as you suggested. I checked my receiver and I do not have the option to change the crossover frequency from the default. I will make these adjustments tonight and see what happens.

Thank you.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Moderator's Avatar Offline
    • Thank you received: 3416
Moderator Posted 10 years 9 months ago
Check your receiver's manual, there is no "default" crossover setting and any speakers set to "Small" will have a range of allowable crossover settings for you to choose from. Perhaps there is an advanced setup menu you if you did not find this at first glance.

Last edit: 10 years 9 months ago by mikehbarlow. Reason: Picture went in upside down! info_outline
I have an older model Sony (str-de997) receiver that doesn't give me options when I select 'small' speakers. In fact, the manual doesn't even specify what the crossover frequency is. The only reason I think I know what the crossover frequency is, is because of this CNET review done on the receiver years ago.

"Sony doesn't specify the receiver's satellite/subwoofer crossover frequency, but we guess it's fixed at 100 hertz. That'll work with most midsize to large sats but will likely sacrifice midbass response on tiny sats with 3.5-inch or smaller woofers. When running larger speakers (we recommend doing this with speakers that have 6-inch or larger woofers), the crossover is switched out of the circuit."

I am also in the market for a new mid to high end receiver, which I think will help. One piece at a time. :)

By-the-way, here is a photo of the new basement theater, in progress. No carpet yet, and a new screen is in the works, but we are getting very close. You can see the two areas in front where the subs will be hidden from view (the Paradigm is in the left compartment for the time being).

Don't know why that picture was upside down. It was right side up when I took it with the Ipad. Darn apple and their pre-set defaults.
Attachments:

• WayneWilmeth's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 7040
WayneWilmeth Posted 10 years 9 months ago
WOW Mikehbarlow,
That is a great looking home theater you have going there!!!!
And BIG too, lovely, I wish I could come over and watch movies!!!!!!
Just my 2 cents worth, I would put the center channel speaker under the screen if I could.
Sounds like you do need a new receiver or processor and amp combo.
And I went with the Triton 2s myself, And my room is smaller than yours. YMMV.
Anyway, ENJOY, I am sure you will!!!
Wayne
God bless the child that's got his own.

• Moderator's Avatar Offline
    • Thank you received: 3416
Moderator Posted 10 years 9 months ago
Gotcha. I would be cautious until you have a new receiver with modern bass management.

Room looks great!

Moderators: Moderator
menu
close
Menu
person_outline
arrow_back
You are here: Home Forum Support SuperSat Series SuperCinema Systems SuperSat 60 vs. Triton Towers?