• Thank you received: 0
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
cgott42 Posted 2 years 3 months ago
I currently have the following speakers:
(2) Triton 2
(1) SuperCenter XL
(1) Supersat 50C
(1) Aon3
(2) Def Tech SR-8080BP (bi polar surrounds)

HT approx 13'x22'

I'm looking to convert my current 5.2 setup to a 7.2.2 Atmos setup

I'm planning on buying a pair of invisa's for the ceiling and the Triton2 and SCXL go up front.
I'm not sure how to best use what I have for the surrounds/rear vs. what I need to buy/replace Other than the Tritons/SCXL and invisa ceiling - all the other speakers would be on bookshelves which fully surround the right side wall and back wall- except for the left surround speaker where I only have a bare wall - and don't want to hang anything on it (as I want thte speakers to be hidden- so may need to go to an inwall solution -

what are your suggestions?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Moderator's Avatar Offline
    • Thank you received: 3416
Moderator Posted 2 years 3 months ago
Hi cgott42, First, I would agree with using the Triton Twos and SuperCenter XL as your front soundstage. Next, when expanding and improving your existing home theater system, I would recommend using the Invisa 650s or Invisa HTR7000s as your Atmos or height speakers. If you go with the Invisa HTR7000s, I would recommend placing them approximately 4 feet in front of the main listening position. If you go with the Invisa 650s, I would recommend placing 1 - 2 feet in front of the listening position. (Since the Invisa HTR7000s play at a 30 degree angle from the ceiling, they'll work better when placed a bit further away from the main listening position.)

Next, I presume you're currently using the SR-8080BPs as your surrounds? However, given your room layout (and desire not to hang any speakers on your left wall), I would consider using a pair of SuperSat 50Cs as your rear surrounds. In this application, you may be able to place both of them horizontally on your rear bookshelf. Since you already have 1 x SuperSat 50C, it sounds like you'll only need to purchase one additional SuperSat 50C.

Last, I would recommend using the Invisa MPX in-wall speakers as your side surrounds. The angled drivers used in this in-wall speaker provide a great balance of focused sound and spaciousness. This would work great for the left surround, however, it sounds like you might need to make a back box for the "right" Invisa MPX, though. In this case, I would recommend using a back box that has an internal volume of 0.53 cubic feet. Happy Listening!

• cgott42's Avatar Offline school
Last edit: 2 years 3 months ago by cgott42. info_outline
Before investing in the Invisa MPX for side surrounds, I'll probably start with a 5.2.2 setup (like this www.goldenear.com/support/atmos-systems - where the surrounds are put behind the listener
If so, should I go with Aon3 - as they go lower Hz then the supersat 50C?
Also - if the Aon3 is placed on the sides of a bookshelf (located in the rear of the room(), since the bookshelf has a side wall appox. 11" depth to it - how far does the Aon3s need to be located from that side wall?

thx

Hi cgott42, When setting up one pair of surrounds, using the Aon 3s would be preferred. They sound a bit richer and fuller than the SuperSat 50Cs and they're capable of playing more bass as well. When setting up these Aon 3s, I would recommend leaving a minimum clearance of 4 inches to each side of their cabinets. This will allow enough clearance for their side-firing bass radiators (or passive radiators) to properly "breathe". Happy Listening!
The following user(s) said Thank You: cgott42

• cgott42's Avatar Offline school
Last edit: 2 years 3 months ago by cgott42. info_outline
If in ceiling installation proves difficult - I was thinking of putting the superstat on the corner where the ceiling meets the wall at a 45 degree angle aiming down at the listener
Is the SuperSat 50c good for that as the Atmos height channel? Is there much difference between the Supersat 50c and the Superstat 3c if used for Atmos?
Any info on how to place them for this purpose?

thx

Hi cgott42, Using a pair of SuperSat 50Cs as your Atmos height speakers should work well. When setting up these speakers, placing them in the corner where the ceiling and wall meets (and angling them downward) should provide a convincing Atmos effect. With this setup, you could place these SuperSat 50Cs on your front wall, side walls, or rear wall. Since your listening room isn't too wide, I'd consider angling these speakers downward from the side walls.

When used as Atmos speakers, the SuperSat 3Cs would sound fairly close to that of the SuperSat 50Cs. (The SuperSat C50Cs sound richer and fuller than the SuperSat 3Cs, however, when used as Atmos speakers, this difference would be more on the subtle side.) Happy Listening!

Moderators: Moderator
menu
close
Menu
person_outline
arrow_back
You are here: Home Forum Getting Started Buying Advice Help me complete my setup