file Settings for my upgraded T3+, SSXL, FF3 system

• sethdemain's Avatar Offline school
    • Thank you received: 2
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
sethdemain Posted 3 years 1 month ago
Hi-- I currently have the following 5.1 setup:
- Two T7's as front (set to small w/ Denon receiver) with LFE crossover at frequency Sandy recommends
- One SSXL as center set to small with LFE crossover at frequency Sandy recommends
- Two rear ceiling speakers set to small with LFE crossover at frequency sandy recommends
- One FF3 in cabinet under TV on acoustic padding
- Room is 12x18 and carpeted
- system mostly movies/TV but 40% music

I had some issues with rattle at high levels with the FF3 and no room on floor for external subs, so I recently purchased a pair of T3+'s which will replace the T7's. My question is whether it is a good decision to do the following:
- Run the T3+'s as Large and set subwoofer level to match the FF3 and use the FF3 to serve only as LFE for the SSXL and the rears, OR
- Run the T3+'s as Small and use the LFE in all three subs (FF3 and each T3+)

I think per Sandy's rec, the first option is better, would let the T3+ DSP handle the bass in those two speakers and let the FF3 handle LFE for the center and rears, should be best and clearest sound from the T3's and the FF3 can easily handle the load of the other three speakers, even in a cabinet.

What do you guys think? appreciate any insight/help here!

Seth
The following user(s) said Thank You: rjohn79395

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• rjohn79395's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • rjohn79395
    • Thank you received: 4322
rjohn79395 Posted 3 years 1 month ago
Last edit: 3 years 1 month ago by rjohn79395. info_outline
Hi Seth

First, good choice to go with T3+'s!

Good questions. I don't know the relative bass output of a FF3 vs. two T3+'s. I suspect fairly close.

Several thoughts on setup options. First, you will have more bass slam with the addition of the 3+s for sure. So how to integrate and maybe reduce the load on the FF3 if it's causing rattles in it's cabinet at higher levels, which suggests offloading FF3 bass load to the 3+'s.

If you had say a SuperSub freestanding with it's potent bass prowess, I'd say for sure set the 3+'s as small, with a crossover of 40-80 HZ to use plenty of their bass punch, and let the SuperSub fill in the rest with a 120 HZ receiver setting. No LFE channel to the 3+'s.

I guess though with a sometimes rattling FF3, I'd be tempted to try running the 3+'s as large, with LFE feeds to help out the FF3, since all LFE would now be split with the three subs. Do you have two sub outs? You could then also play with relative gain settings between the leads to the 3+'s, and the FF3 to adjust relative load, and hence FF3 tendency to rattle the cabinet.

Just some thoughts.

Others may have clever suggestions.

Happy listening!

Rick
5.4.4 HT speakers: T Ref fronts/LFE 1, SuperCenter Ref, T1 surrounds/LFE 2 + SuperSub XXL, HTR 7000 top fronts, HTR 8000 top rears
Zone 2 speakers; 2 Invisa 525's
AVR: Marantz SR 8015
Amp: AT525NC 5 channel
Cable/TiVo, OPPO BDP 105D, Bluesound Node 2i, Apple tv 4K streamer
48" SONY 4K OLED TV

Thanks! This is the crux of the debate. I do have two LFE outs so could easily split one to the 3’s and send one to the FF3. I was just thinking the purist approach would be to not send LFE to the 3’s and let them do their own magic and use the FF for the low end on the center and rears.

Is there a benefit to sending the LFE signal to the 3’s? Does it improve the low end response or just reduce the load on the FF? I worry if it handles LFE for other speakers it might be less clean. If it improves the sound from the 3’s I agree I should do it but I do think that if all it does is reduce the load on the FF (which now handles center and surround) it wouldn’t be necessary as the FF won’t likely rattle handling those three channels (it’s not bad as is I’m just a perfectionist and it sits on some decent acoustic padding).

I guess I can try it both ways and see which sounds better but sending LFE to 3 subs might be overkill and I keep going back to several reviews of the triton towers and also Sandy’s recs and the nature of the speaker with its DSP where if I can set them to large without LFE they can ‘work their magic’ and handle all frequencies as standalones and sound their best.

I’ll bet either setup sounds good I just want to have the cleanest most responsive sound from the 3’s and in a stereo setup for music the “Large” setting for the 3’s without LFE seems most pure and I can adjust the sub level to perfect the signature.

Fun stuff— appreciate every advice I can get. I should have them in a couple days!

Seth
The following user(s) said Thank You: rjohn79395

• Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • rjohn79395
Hi, Seth

Listening tastes are individual. so trying it both ways is always a good option.

Re sending the LFE to all three subs, it does improve the bass response, and balances room nodes better also. The bass will be more even, and full, across the room. Reducing the bass load on the FF3 is another benefit in your case, not usually a prime consideration when setting up bass settings.

Re the DSP's in the 3+'s, full range in plus LFE is right in their wheelhouse. That's what they do when given full range sound, and easily mix in LFE feeds. They're designed for that.

So feel free to try both, we all experiment, but yes the 3+'s are right at home processing full range sound plus LFE.

It's whatever works for your listening preferences that counts. Feel free to experiment! It's your system.

Rick
5.4.4 HT speakers: T Ref fronts/LFE 1, SuperCenter Ref, T1 surrounds/LFE 2 + SuperSub XXL, HTR 7000 top fronts, HTR 8000 top rears
48" SONY 4K OLED TV

• Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • rjohn79395

sethdemain wrote:
I’ll bet either setup sounds good I just want to have the cleanest most responsive sound from the 3’s and in a stereo setup for music the “Large” setting for the 3’s without LFE seems most pure and I can adjust the sub level to perfect the signature.

Fun stuff— appreciate every advice I can get. I should have them in a couple days!

Seth

Re playing two channel 2.0 music, the LFE channel has no content, so having sub on, LFE leads has no effect on two channel stuff. All that goes to the speaker is full range (when set as large) through the speaker cable connections only. I.E. the sub on, LFE connected setup is not in use when playing 2.0 content, just when playing 5.1 etc. surround formats to play.1 channel plus crossover from other speakers set as small..

I think you'll find the bass integration of the 3+'s set as large, for music is exceptional. Setting them as small and using the FF3 to supplement bass would be a tougher deal to get it right I think. And the 3's will have more bass punch than the 7's they'll be replacing, which you probably have set as small. I'd be wanting to try large for the 3's for sure. They may not need bass help for your listening preferences.

And yes, you're right, adjusting the bass dials on the 3+'s for music is the best way to maximize music enjoyment.
48" SONY 4K OLED TV

This makes total sense. They arrived yesterday and I listened to some stereo music content to set the 3's bass level. the additional LFE cables arrive today so I can run them as Large and have all three subs handle the LFE load with crossover only assigned to the SSXL at 60HZ and the surrounds somewhere near 100-120HZ. Then I'll adjust the LFE gain to match the Fronts and the FF3 volume knob to balance with the T3's LFE and overall levels. Do you recommend using Audigy mic for volume settings or do everything manually? thanks for all your help!

Moderators: Moderator
menu
close
Menu
person_outline
arrow_back
You are here: Home Forum Support Triton Series Settings for my upgraded T3+, SSXL, FF3 system