file Articulating Wall Mount for Aon 3's?

• T Cobe's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 4381
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
T Cobe Posted 8 years 4 months ago
Wayne,

I'm with you 110% on the Aons versus SSATs. They are great speakers! Between their sound quality and placement flexibility, they really are a great choice for surround duty.

Cheers,

T Cobe
Speakers: Triton One L/R, SCXL, Aon 3 Surr/Back, HTR-7000 Height
Pre/Pro/AVR: Anthem AVM 60, Emotiva XSP-1
Amps: Emotiva XPA-5(2), Emotiva XPA-1L (2)
Sources: Oppo BDP-103D, Emotiva ERC-3, PS4, Pioneer PLX-1000 w/Ortofon 2M Bronze
Display: Epson 6030 UB, Elite Screens 110" Sable
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, anthem

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Moderator's Avatar Offline
    • Thank you received: 3416
Moderator Posted 8 years 4 months ago

WayneWilmeth wrote: I am sorry the Moderator Dude does not agree with me, but to my ears there is a BIG advantage to the sound of the Aons over the SSs.

Whatever makes you guys happy with your GoldenEar setup is good with me. :)
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, rjohn79395, T Cobe

• tylerhawes's Avatar Offline
    • Thank you received: 5
tylerhawes Posted 8 years 1 month ago
Sorry to comment late on this, but I don't login all that often. The short answer is you want to get Vantage Point BSME Wall/Ceiling Mount which I found at RSL (rslspeakers.com/products/vantage-point-b...ling-speaker-mounts/). I have no affiliation with RSL (only thing I ever bought from them) or the manufacturer (whoever they are), I just think this is the best mount I've ever used before, and I've used a lot, and it's only around $50 each.

It sounds like you already purchased something, but for others this may be helpful. I searched for months to find a good speaker mount. Golden Ear was no help (they were actually pretty dismissive, sadly). Neither was my dealer. Neither was the integrator in LA I use for all my pro audio work. The former two were used to Omnimount like I was, but they were discountinued. Nobody seemed to know good mounts for speakers this size. Everything was meant for much smaller or much larger speakers.

I ended up finding a blogger talking about how he finally found a good Omnimount replacement in the Vantage Point BSME Wall/Ceiling Mount. I deliberated, and pulled the trigger to buy 11 of them (I have an 11.2 setup with Aon 3s for the mains, Aon 2s for the surrounds). My setup meant a variety of mounts, including every combo of ceiling and wall with vertical and horizontal, and I will tell you this one mount did every single position excellently, because they are so articulate and flexible in position. What's more, they are high quality material and engineering, they work very well, hold the position you set them to and don't "droop". They are way better than the Omnimounts ever were with their ball-and-socket clamp design.

Since then I let my pro audio integrator know about them, and now I think they are being installed regularly in some pro audio rooms around town. If I had Omnimounts, I'd rip them out and replace them with these, they are that good.

My only note is you will have to drill holes into the back of your speaker for the screws, and I went and got screws of a particular length as you only really need to penetrate about half an inch into the speaker wall for a good hold. I know it feels weird drilling into your speakers, but I checked with GE before doing so (no components there, but you should check for yourself with them and not just take my word for it), and this is par for the course on a lot of speaker wall mounts. Anyway, I'd much rather have some heavy duty screws holding my speakers on the mount than just some side pressure, which seems like an accident waiting to happen. The other thing is, if you ever decide to unmount them, just get a new sock for your speaker or stitch up the hole, and cosmetically you won't know the hole is there.

So anyway, two years in, I still love these mounts, and everything works great.
--
Tyler
My setup: 11.2 channels w/ 3 x Aon 3 mains, 8 x Aon 2 high/wide/surrounds, 2 x Forcefield 5 subs. Marantz AV8801 processor. 3 x Parasound A 51 amps. Oppo BPD-103D.

• T Cobe's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 4381
T Cobe Posted 8 years 1 month ago
Thanks,Tyler, for offering another alternative. Finding good mounts can be a bit tricky. Regarding your statement about GET being dismissive about recommending a mount, it has been my experience that they steer clear of any brand recommendations outside of their own. I can think of a lot of reasons for that, so it makes sense to me and I respect their stance. Forums like this are a great place for users to discuss their solutions and offer assistance to each other without GET having to alienate any industry partners/peers.

Since the earlier posts, I've added the VideoSecu mounts that Anthem posted and they are great for wall mounts. They are extremely secure and designed quite well. I've used the included foam pads and added some adhesive rubber bumpers to the base plate and my Aons are extremely secure with no holes drilled. The base plate actually tightens like a vise with a couple of screws under the plate. The swivel and tilt mechanism is very robust and once locked in place, it doesn't shift.

I can't see these working on a ceiling but for wall mounts I highly recommend them. At only $35 per pair, they are very low cost but still very solid. Most importantly to me, I don't have to drill any holes into my Aons to get a secure mount. That's just my preference.

Cheers,

T Cobe
Speakers: Triton One L/R, SCXL, Aon 3 Surr/Back, HTR-7000 Height
Pre/Pro/AVR: Anthem AVM 60, Emotiva XSP-1
Amps: Emotiva XPA-5(2), Emotiva XPA-1L (2)
Sources: Oppo BDP-103D, Emotiva ERC-3, PS4, Pioneer PLX-1000 w/Ortofon 2M Bronze
Display: Epson 6030 UB, Elite Screens 110" Sable
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rowland Miller

• Roman Johnston's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 802
Roman Johnston Posted 8 years 1 month ago
One tip. Placement often is not optimal with stud placement. One way around it is these puppies.

www.homedepot.com/p/WingIts-World-s-Stro...RC-MAW35-6/202727991

WingIts....are insane. I hung a bar for my father in laws bathroom tub area in drywall (not hitting studs) and I was able to suspend my entire weight....(I am 280lbs) and I was not even coming close to the weight limits of the bar. That was only using 2 anchors per side.

I used them for my Aon 2 mounts and they are solid as a rock. Used the first brackets mentioned in this thread.

Trust me. I use to own my own home inspection company, had a builders license in 3 states and have a degree in construction tech.....these are the real deal.

Roman
LR:
Onkyo TX-NR636
Surround System = SSat3 x5
Sub - FF4

Office:
NAD T748 V2
Nearfield System = Aon 2 Mains
SSat3 Surrounds
Sub - FF3
The following user(s) said Thank You: T Cobe

• Moderator's Avatar Offline
    • Thank you received: 3416
Moderator Posted 8 years 1 month ago

tylerhawes wrote: ... Golden Ear was no help (they were actually pretty dismissive, sadly)

... My only note is you will have to drill holes into the back of your speaker for the screws,

... I'd much rather have some heavy duty screws holding my speakers on the mount than just some side pressure, which seems like an accident waiting to happen.

Back that up with some evidence or leave this kind of stuff out if you want to participate here.

The Aons already have mounting holes on the upper back for a keyhole hanger or other mounting - as per the owners manual.

The speaker should only be supported by the bottom or the back keyhole mount location, never from the sides.

Moderators: Moderator
menu
close
Menu
person_outline
arrow_back
You are here: Home Forum Support Aon Series Articulating Wall Mount for Aon 3's?