file T-One.R Theatre

• Nakamichi's Avatar Offline school
    • Thank you received: 1
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
Nakamichi Posted 1 year 3 months ago
Yes...I'm Canadian, so theatre is spelled right!

After many years of wanting a Trition 2, then a Triton 1, then a Triton 2+, then a Triton Reference setup I finally pulled the trigger on 3 Triton One.R's as my left, center right speakers and Super Sat 3's for my side and rear channels.

I've recently bought an Apple 4KTV and am streaming Amazon music through it. I like the option of Dolby Atmos mixed music or having Auro 3D processing applied to the (2 channel) music, which uses the center channel (seems to add a bit of punch to the bass as well, which is great for older rock songs). My current center channel is below my 120" screen, and voices sound "lower" and not quite the same as my main tower speakers.

By using a Triton One.R for a center channel, it will fix this problem for music. It will also mean everything matches perfectly across the front (in tambre and height from the floor). It also means I will be able to run a full-frequency response through my center channel. I am replacing my existing screen for a 4K perforated screen so the voices will be coming through the screen (a big improvement from them coming from below the screen).

Even now, my 120" 1.78:1 screen is 20" off the front wall (to be closer to the couch) with a tower speaker on either side, so the new setup will be no different: a Trition One.R on the left and right of the screen (out from the wall) and the middle one directly behind the screen. This will also give me three subs across the front of the room. I will move my two JL Fathom F112-V2 subs to the back of the room and am hoping to get a pretty even bass response around the room.

At some point, I will switch my 5 ceiling speakers (Auro 3D configuration) to Super Sat 3 's as well. I'm running the theatre with a Marantz AV8805 preamp, Emotiva XPA power amps, and an Oppo BDP105D blu-ray / SACD, and a Sony UPB-700 4K player. My previous speakers were (are) Energy Veritas 1.8 with a matching center channel, which I've enjoyed for years.

I'm looking forward to taking my 13.5' x 20' x 8' theatre to the next level with the Tritons. I'll keep you posted once it's set up and broken in.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• GDHAL's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 879
GDHAL Posted 1 year 3 months ago
Hi Nakamichi.

Sure, keep us updated. :)

I glean your username has something to do with the infamous tape decks. True? B) I was a *big* cassette tape fanatic back in the day. Never had a Nak though.

Question. You list that you have an Oppo BDP105D and a Sony UPB-700. I think there's some redundancy there. Nothing wrong with that though. Which do you prefer and why? Curious from both an audio and video perspective.

Best of luck with your new GoldenEar speakers. :)

Best.

Hal
Golden Ear Triton Reference (pair), Musical Fidelity M6si, Schiit Yggdrasil-OG-B, Oppo UDP-205, Emotiva ERC-3, LG OLED65C9PUA, Salamander Synergy Triple Unit SL20, Audeze LCD-X, GIK acoustic paneling
halr.x10.mx/TritonReference.htm ; halr.x10.mx/other.html

Love the Oppo. Don't care for the Sony. The Oppo is so much better than in some cases, I prefer watching the Blu-ray on the Oppo as opposed to the 4K on the Sony. I got the Sony because the Oppo is only Blu-ray and I wasn't ready to drop another $1200 or whatever the Panasonic 9000 unit costs. The Sony has a terrible remote (although not as bad when using my Control 4) and it's temperamental. Sometimes it recognizes the disc and sometimes not.

I will be replacing it with a Panasonic at some point but am spending my $$$ on speakers right now. As you well know, it's upgrade a piece at a time. :)

Yes, I own a Nakamichi cassette deck and always lusted over their Dragon decks, turntable, and CD players as a youth. I asked my wife about naming our third son Nakamichi, (even though we're as white as the driven snow!) but it didn't go over well (she didn't like the name Linkwitz Riley either). We settled with "Denon" as they made some nice separates back in the 80's and she liked the name. The funny thing is that we've met two other boys (around the same age as my son who is 20 now) with the name Denon (because of the electronics company). So much for being unique.

As for video improvements, I've ordered an Eluevision 4k perforated screen. I'm assuming it will look much better than my current Silver Ticket screen (Amazon) and allow me to have the middle Triton One.R behind it. Down the road I will get a nice Panasonic 4K player (discs still sound better than streaming) and then an upgrade to my Epson 4010 projector. Now that laser projector costs are coming down that may be the way to go in the next couple of years.

Regards,
The following user(s) said Thank You: rjohn79395

• Pbgalvin's Avatar Offline
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Lovin' GET T1s
    • Thank you received: 633
Pbgalvin Posted 1 year 3 months ago
Should be a great setup!
I have one.rs in my 2 channel and refs in my HT (with GE ref center, sides and ceiling for atmos)

I don't find appletv to be great as an audio source btw. Your system will definitely let you hear the difference between that and something better. Happy to give you ideas if you are in the market...

--Peter
2 channel -> GeT Ones.R, Rogue RP-7 pre, Kinki Studio B7 Monoblock amps fed by Oppo 105D, SonicTransport, OpticalRendu w/ 200,000 tracks, Rega RP8 w/ Garrott OPTIM S3 FGS Ruby + Sutherland 20/20 phono pre, PS Audio Powerplant 20
HT -> Marantz 7703, Butler Audio T5150 amp, GeT Ref mains

Sounds like a great setup. Are you using separate subs in addition to the Reference towers? Are you running the towers as "large" with just speaker wire or did you set them to "small" and use the low-level input? Have you run into bass issues when setting up with Audyssey?

As for streaming, I don't find it as good as a CD but the difference is less than the difference in audio with a streamed movie. There is a very noticeable difference in dynamic range when watching "The Incredibles" (for example) on Disney vs the Blu-ray. For music, I haven't quite put my finger on what aspect is lacking but I agree that it's not the same.

P.S - what gear are you running the speakers with?

Wife / Speaker Ratio

I always try to follow the rule of thumb that your speakers should always be at least 2/3 the height of your wife and that your amplifier stack should weigh at least 2/3 what your wife does! (that may change with class D amplifiers)

See attached image:
Attachments:

Moderators: Moderator
menu
close
Menu
person_outline
arrow_back