file T-One.R Theatre

• Nakamichi's Avatar Offline school
    • Thank you received: 1
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
Nakamichi Posted 1 year 3 months ago
Time for an update. I haven't dealt with my wire management yet (as evidenced by the picture), but I've set up my new Trion One Reference LCR speakers across the front of the room. I've been running pink noise through them at night, and while they're not really broken in yet, I think I can summarize my initial impressions with three words:

Wow, Wow, and Wow! (one for each speaker)

I've always loved ribbon and electrostatic and planar speakers, and these folded ribbon tweeters just do it for me. Each one has three - 5˝ x 9˝ Long-Throw Quadratic Reference Subwoofer Bass Drivers, coupled to four - 7˝ x 10˝ Quadratic Planar Infrasonic Radiators. There is a volume control for the bass section, which allows you to adjust the level depending on how close it is to a boundary. In my case, the back of the left and right are 18" out from the back wall while the center is right up against the wall (once they're in place), so I have the center sub level turned down, so it doesn't get boomy.

Needless to say, having three identical speakers (at identical heights) creates a seamless sound field and really shines if I'm listening to music in Dolby Atmos or Auro 3D processing which uses the center channel. That way, even someone off to the side hears the vocals from the center, and they sound just as good as from the left or right speaker. As for the built-in subs, the spec sheet says they go to 13 Htz, but hey - my Honda Civic will do 180/km/hr as well (off a cliff). They do drop off in the low 20's but they sound simply fantastic - somewhat reminiscent of my JL Audio Subs, which I could talk more about what they don't do than what they do - do. They don't sound bloated or boomy. They don't screw up the midrange. They don't chuff or rumble. They do extend deep. They do make a standup bass sound real. They do deliver a kick, and they do take movies to a whole new level.

Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• GDHAL's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 879
GDHAL Posted 1 year 3 months ago
Nice looking setup/room!

Glad to read you're enjoying the TRefs. I can relate. :)

BTW, I believe the spec sheet indicates they can go down to 12 Hertz. I recall reading some independent measurements somewhere, stereophile or something like that, which confirmed they can go that low. Granted, may not be "flat" to that frequency, but they go low...real low B)

I recall Sandy stating at one point before the TRefs were even available to customers (when they debuted at shows in public for the first time) where he mentioned that there was a fellow that had a measurement device in the room and confirmed that it was going down to 12 Hertz.

Best.

Hal
Golden Ear Triton Reference (pair), Musical Fidelity M6si, Schiit Yggdrasil-OG-B, Oppo UDP-205, Emotiva ERC-3, LG OLED65C9PUA, Salamander Synergy Triple Unit SL20, Audeze LCD-X, GIK acoustic paneling
halr.x10.mx/TritonReference.htm ; halr.x10.mx/other.html

• Nakamichi's Avatar Offline school
    • Thank you received: 1
Nakamichi Posted 1 year 3 months ago
It may be a moot point given they drop off long before 12 Htz. I'm OK with that as the bass from them and my JL's is super clean and tight and impactful for music and movies. I'm trying Sandy's suggestion of toeing in the speakers to aim directly at my main seating position.

His argument is that there are two things that collapse the soundstage into one speaker. One is being closer to that speaker and the other is being on-axis with that speaker. When the speakers aren't toed in and you're sitting to the right, then the right speaker is both closer and more on-axis compared with the left. However, with the speakers towed in, the right speaker is still closer but they are both off-axis (or the left speaker may be less off-axis than the right) and therefore the soundstage doesn't collapse as much.

Sandy also said he designed these speakers to be listened to on-axis. He's a smart guy so I'm giving it a try, even though it seems odd at first. The elunevision screen has little to no discernable degradation on the sound from my middle (center) One.R. Rather than a much larger screen that would cover all three front speakers, I chose to go with a screen that would fit between my main left and right speakers for two reasons. One is that it allows my main speakers to sit further out into the room, which I believe improves the sound quality. Secondly, I would have to have a major upgrade from my Epson 4010 projector to properly fill a perforated screen that size and still have a decent picture. I just did my major upgrade with the speakers which were more important to me than the video. Sitting 10.5 feet away from a 120" screen (in 16x9 mode) is still pretty immersive.

• GDHAL's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 879
GDHAL Posted 1 year 3 months ago
Hi Nakamichi.

My apologies. In my previous post I wrote "glad to read you're enjoying the TRefs". I forgot you bought the 1Rs. Well I have the same response , which is that I'm glad you're enjoying them. :)

And you're correct, the specs on those indicate they go down to 13hz.

Best.

Hal
Golden Ear Triton Reference (pair), Musical Fidelity M6si, Schiit Yggdrasil-OG-B, Oppo UDP-205, Emotiva ERC-3, LG OLED65C9PUA, Salamander Synergy Triple Unit SL20, Audeze LCD-X, GIK acoustic paneling
halr.x10.mx/TritonReference.htm ; halr.x10.mx/other.html

Moderators: Moderator
menu
close
Menu
person_outline
arrow_back