file SuperCenter Reference

• rjohn79395's Avatar Offline school
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • rjohn79395
    • Thank you received: 4322
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
rjohn79395 Posted 5 years 5 months ago
I got a SC Ref several weeks ago and have described it's performance on several threads (Moderator Dude, feel free to consolidate SC Ref comments across a number of threads).

I am a SuperCenter XXL reluctant convert. I loved the XXL! And I took it's limitations (couldn't quite keep up with Triton Ref's below 80 HZ for SQ or heft) as par for the course vs powered Tritons. Well, I've learned by listening that the SC Ref steps up in every way!

I now play the SC Ref at 60 HZ crossover and it plays perfectly with the front T Ref's. Dialog is perfect, sound hand-off across the front is perfect. I like to upmix 2 channel music to include more gorgeous GEt speakers and surround. Well, with the XXL I used to sometimes switch between Dolby Surround, which uses the center channel a lot, and multi channel, which switched more to other channels, because sometimes things just sounded better with less content sent to the center channel. Not anymore. The SC Ref is the master of sound there. I'm back to 100% Dolby Surround, and the SC Ref just shines, plays voices perfectly, brings bass heft that blends perfectly with the T Ref's, becomes indistinguishable from the T Ref's in every way.

For all you folks who play content in HT, from DVD's to Blu-ray to tv, this speaker is a gem, and if you have Dolby Atmos or DTS:Neural capability and height speaker set-ups, give up mixed 2 channel music to full speaker HT a try. It is concert hall like!

Happy listening!

Rick
5.4.4 HT speakers: T Ref fronts/LFE 1, SuperCenter Ref, T1 surrounds/LFE 2 + SuperSub XXL, HTR 7000 top fronts, HTR 8000 top rears
Zone 2 speakers; 2 Invisa 525's
AVR: Marantz SR 8015
Amp: AT525NC 5 channel
Cable/TiVo, OPPO BDP 105D, Bluesound Node 2i, Apple tv 4K streamer
48" SONY 4K OLED TV
The following user(s) said Thank You: Moderator, anthem, aribraun

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• AudioJim's Avatar Offline
    • Thank you received: 42
AudioJim Posted 5 years 5 months ago
Hi Rick,

Great assessment! I couldn't agree with you more. I received my reference SC a couple of months ago and immediately noticed the difference in clarity and bass. Now that it has had some time to break-in it is even better especially regarding how well it disappears. I watched Ralph Breaks the Internet (don't judge, I have four kids at home :) ) and I noticed especially while watching the credits the music was completely seamless across the front. It was the first time for me that I couldn't in someway distinguish the center channel at all.

By the way, I also agree with the 60 Hz crossover. I think one factor regarding the blending of the reference has something to do with the fact that it can handle the lower crossover without any strain.

Jim
Main System
Video: Epson 6040UB, SI 120 inch
Source: PS DS, Logitech Transporter, Marantz UD5005, xBox One, PC
Front end: Marantz 8802A, BHK Pre
Amplification: MM7055 (surround), BHK 300 (Front LR)
Speakers: TRef, ReferenceCenter, HTR7000 (4 atmos), SPS (surround/surround rear)
The following user(s) said Thank You: rjohn79395, aribraun

• Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • rjohn79395
Hey, Jim

No judging! :laugh: In fact, enjoying listening to even tv audio sound so great is part of the fun!!!

Rick
5.4.4 HT speakers: T Ref fronts/LFE 1, SuperCenter Ref, T1 surrounds/LFE 2 + SuperSub XXL, HTR 7000 top fronts, HTR 8000 top rears
48" SONY 4K OLED TV

• nevets77's Avatar Offline
    • Thank you received: 41
nevets77 Posted 5 years 5 months ago
I think I'm the odd man out at the moment. I agree that the sound from the ref center is great and blends perfectly with , in my case, the triton ones, however I'm not sure it sounds better than my old center for dialog. I have checked my levels with an spl meter and yet I find I need to set the center at a higher db level in order to hear it clearly at times. I will not make my final assessment until I have run ARC from my Anthem which I have read can make a noticeable difference . Either way I am not likely to swap it out simply because it is so cohesive across the front soundstage and I watch more movies than listen to music.
speaking of music, I agree that multi speaker has won me over. My old prologic options seemed gimmicky but Anthem ( and others I'm sure ) now has figured it out. I'm not sure how I feel about Dolby surround vs multi channel. some recordings sound great with the center in use and others it has a very different imaging.
Triton Reference Triton One's Triton Fives , ref center, invista 650's , JBL 18" sub, Anthem AVM 60 , Emotiva XPA-5 ,Parasound 2205 , Adcom 555 , clark synthesis tactile transducer,
JVC dla x55r , Oppo 103
The following user(s) said Thank You: rjohn79395

• Moderator's Avatar Offline
    • Thank you received: 3418
Moderator Posted 5 years 5 months ago
Make sure you set an appropriate max correction frequency when you run ARC, the 5kHz default is not good.
The following user(s) said Thank You: rjohn79395, nevets77

• Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • rjohn79395

nevets77 wrote: I think I'm the odd man out at the moment. I agree that the sound from the ref center is great and blends perfectly with , in my case, the triton ones, however I'm not sure it sounds better than my old center for dialog. I have checked my levels with an spl meter and yet I find I need to set the center at a higher db level in order to hear it clearly at times. I will not make my final assessment until I have run ARC from my Anthem which I have read can make a noticeable difference . Either way I am not likely to swap it out simply because it is so cohesive across the front soundstage and I watch more movies than listen to music.
speaking of music, I agree that multi speaker has won me over. My old prologic options seemed gimmicky but Anthem ( and others I'm sure ) now has figured it out. I'm not sure how I feel about Dolby surround vs multi channel. some recordings sound great with the center in use and others it has a very different imaging.

Hey, nevets77

I have to admit your situation is very different from my experience. Is it possible that you have some ARC corrections for the prior center speaker still in your Anthem that are now "incorrectly correcting" your SC Ref, which would have very different tonal characteristics??? Just a thought. Because when you say you have to turn up the dB level vs the prior center to hear dialogue clearly, that is the exact opposite again of my experience. Vs.a SuperCenter XXL that it replaced, I've turned the gain (dB) level down by 1.5 in most cases. Dialogue clarity and "naturalness" are the best I've ever heard from that channel.

Just thinkin'.

Rick
48" SONY 4K OLED TV
The following user(s) said Thank You: Moderator, aribraun

Moderators: Moderator
menu
close
Menu
person_outline
arrow_back