file Any opinions on acoustic panels?

• JR's Avatar Offline school
    • Thank you received: 11
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
JR Posted 4 years 5 months ago
Last edit: 4 years 5 months ago by JR. info_outline
Hi. I am putting in a new home theater. I was wondering if acoustic wall panels are a good idea?

The room is 14ft wide X 21 ft long with one six inch step up to a platform at 13 feet from the front screen wall. The side speakers are 11 feet from the front wall and 6 feet high.

The walls are drywall with 3 exterior walls that have fiberglass insulation and 1 interior wall that I think has that sound insulation in it.
the floor is carpet.

The system is:
7.1.4 Atmos
Integra DRX 4.3 with New Classic 275 v.2 two channel amplifier.
Triton 5 for the front left and right
Super Center XXL for the center
Invisa MPX for the side and back wall surround speakers.
Invisa 600 (will switch to the 650s next year) for the atmos ceiling surround speakers.
Supersub X for the subwoofer

I appreciate any help.
Buddy
The following user(s) said Thank You: Moderator

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Moderator's Avatar Offline
    • Thank you received: 3416
Moderator Posted 4 years 5 months ago

JR wrote: Hi. I am putting in a new home theater. I was wondering if acoustic wall panels are a good idea?

The room is 14ft wide X 21 ft long with one six inch step up to a platform at 13 feet from the front screen wall. The side speakers are 11 feet from the front wall and 6 feet high.

The walls are drywall with 3 exterior walls that have fiberglass insulation and 1 interior wall that I think has that sound insulation in it.
the floor is carpet.

The system is:
7.1.4 Atmos
Integra DRX 4.3 with New Classic 275 v.2 two channel amplifier.
Triton 5 for the front left and right
Super Center XXL for the center
Invisa MPX for the side and back wall surround speakers.
Invisa 600 (will switch to the 650s next year) for the atmos ceiling surround speakers.
Supersub X for the subwoofer

I appreciate any help.
Buddy

If you your room is limiting how good your system sounds, acoustic treatment might help. I'd suggest you read relevant sections of the "Master Handbook of Acoustics" by F.Alton Everest and/or Robert Harley's "Complete Guide to High-End Audio" which has good sections on acoustics and may be somewhat easier to digest than Everest's book. Both are available on Amazon.
The following user(s) said Thank You: rjohn79395, JR

• GDHAL's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 879
GDHAL Posted 4 years 5 months ago
Last edit: 4 years 5 months ago by GDHAL. info_outline

JR wrote: Hi. I am putting in a new home theater. I was wondering if acoustic wall panels are a good idea?....

Yes, it is a good idea. I use Generic Auralux foam acoustic paneling. Not the "best" by any means but certainly somewhat effective and a great value, as fiberglass, wood and exotic panels can run into bucks. I purchased mine here www.thefoamfactory.com/ and the site posts third party lab tests attesting to the efficacy of the product. I can say/write from first hand experience that foam acoustic panels are certainly better than no treatment at all. Also, I've seen at least one video where Sandy is listening to Triton's and these same foam panels are in use. Here is my set up (I've since added some more panels) halr.x10.mx/AV.jpg Best of luck, JR.
Golden Ear Triton Reference (pair), Musical Fidelity M6si, Schiit Yggdrasil-OG-B, Oppo UDP-205, Emotiva ERC-3, LG OLED65C9PUA, Salamander Synergy Triple Unit SL20, Audeze LCD-X, GIK acoustic paneling
halr.x10.mx/TritonReference.htm ; halr.x10.mx/other.html
The following user(s) said Thank You: Moderator, rjohn79395, JR

• JR's Avatar Offline school
    • Thank you received: 11
JR Posted 4 years 5 months ago
Thanks so much for the advice. Much appreciated.

Moderators: Moderator
menu
close
Menu
person_outline
arrow_back
You are here: Home Forum Advanced Topics Music, Home Theater, Gaming Any opinions on acoustic panels?