• Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 9175
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
anthem Posted 6 years 1 month ago
Last edit: 6 years 1 month ago by anthem. info_outline

Sonny Rollins/Way Out West (1957) -- I'm An Old Cowhand

I really dig this song...Giddy Up!

Yup, Sir, Wayne: still messing with the mc152. Trying this, that, and the other. Found out the other day the Bal/Unbal switch was in the Bal mode (on the mc152) when i was listening to the Primaluna. That's why i had a lack of detail. With all my other amps, if i was listening in the bal mode and had the switch in the Unbal mode the amp would not play. The mc152 seems to be different in that regard. Now I'm experimenting with different speaker wire and IC's to hear which sounds best. Hopefully by Christmas I'll be through.
D-Sonic m3a-600m Mono > McIntosh MC152 > Primaluna ProLogue Premium Preamp > Oppo UDP205 > Decware ZLC > Triton Reference > Isoacoustics Gaia 2 > Canare 4S11 Speaker Cables > Audience Forte 3, Anticable L3 & Shunyata Venom PC's

Every great performance deserves an Audience!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Moderator, WayneWilmeth, rjohn79395

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• rjohn79395's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • rjohn79395
    • Thank you received: 4322
rjohn79395 Posted 6 years 1 month ago

anthem wrote: Yup, Sir, Wayne: still messing with the mc152. Trying this, that, and the other. Found out the other day the Bal/Unbal switch was in the Bal mode (on the mc152) when i was listening to the Primaluna. That's why i had a lack of detail. With all my other amps, if i was listening in the bal mode and had the switch in the Unbal mode the amp would not play. The mc152 seems to be different in that regard. Now I'm experimenting with different speaker wire and IC's to hear which sounds best. Hopefully by Christmas I'll be through.

Hi, Anthem

Glad you're having fun with your new mc152! Ain't it fun learning as we go?

I hope you get it all sorted out and have SQ just the way you like it.

Still planning to pay Wayne a visit in Thailand later this year (think I'll try to get at least one PC over to try on his system for both our educations). Really want to hear what his gear combo does with his GEt's. He's got great gear also. And when Wayne next comes to the U.S., well, maybe he'll stop by and hear my system, and who knows, we may get in the car and drive to Kansas to hear your great system . :)

There is SO much knowledge, audio experience, and great gear represented on this forum!!!! We are all learning from each other. I just want to experience as much as I can of great audio, and good forum friends. Maybe it's a bucket list thing.

Keep the tunes (wasn't that last one just a LITTLE Country? :laugh: ), and comments on what works with your GEt's coming!

Happy listening!

Rick
5.4.4 HT speakers: T Ref fronts/LFE 1, SuperCenter Ref, T1 surrounds/LFE 2 + SuperSub XXL, HTR 7000 top fronts, HTR 8000 top rears
Zone 2 speakers; 2 Invisa 525's
AVR: Marantz SR 8015
Amp: AT525NC 5 channel
Cable/TiVo, OPPO BDP 105D, Bluesound Node 2i, Apple tv 4K streamer
48" SONY 4K OLED TV
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, anthem

• WayneWilmeth's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 7040
WayneWilmeth Posted 6 years 1 month ago
Thanks Anthem for the reply, looks like you have lots to do between now and Christmas. Happy listening while you are messing around with things, finding the right combo.
Rick, I love that you are still thinking about, planning to come over.
Wish you could talk Anthem into it too.
I think you could bring a PC over, just bring the receipt where you bought it along and put it into checked baggage, I would not even declare it. Most likely you can just walk right through with it on both sides of the ocean.
And if questioned you can just tell me why and show your receipt. Course nobody will believe you "want to show an ignorant American living in Thailand that power cords really do make a difference in sound". Yeah buddy!!!!
Come on over!!!!
God Bless,
Wayne
God bless the child that's got his own.
The following user(s) said Thank You: anthem, rjohn79395

• anthem's Avatar Offline school
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

Lee Ritenour - Larry Carlton/Larry & Lee (1995) -- After the Rain

Today we are experimenting with AntiCable Level 3.1 speaker wire and Mapleshade Clearview Excalibur Ribbon IC's. PC's remain the same. AntiCable > mc152, AntiCable > Primaluna, Audience Forte > Oppo.

This combination sounds very detailed and the bass sounds extremely good. Looking forward to more listening tomorrow.
D-Sonic m3a-600m Mono > McIntosh MC152 > Primaluna ProLogue Premium Preamp > Oppo UDP205 > Decware ZLC > Triton Reference > Isoacoustics Gaia 2 > Canare 4S11 Speaker Cables > Audience Forte 3, Anticable L3 & Shunyata Venom PC's

• WayneWilmeth's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 7040
WayneWilmeth Posted 6 years 1 month ago
Anthem, for all these changes, combinations and permutations you keep doing to your system, do you have a go to piece of music that you use over and over as a check? Something that you can always play to see what your changes did? Or can you do that with any and all of your listening music?
However you do it, have fun, get it right, enjoy.
God Bless,
Wayne
God bless the child that's got his own.
The following user(s) said Thank You: rjohn79395

• anthem's Avatar Offline school
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Last edit: 6 years 1 month ago by anthem. info_outline

Avenue Blue (featuring Jeff Golub) / Naked City (1996) -- Wildflower

A hidden Gem...

Yes Wayne...I have favorites that I play over and over, again and again, year after year. Some stuff never gets old. When you listen to something 100 times, you get a sense of how it should sound.

Moderators: Moderator
menu
close
Menu
person_outline
arrow_back