file Advise

• adlersberg's Avatar Offline school
    • Thank you received: 5
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
adlersberg Posted 6 years 7 months ago
Hi everyone, just need advise on my current setup. Currenly have 7's,super center x, sat 3 and force field 4 powered by denon avr -x6400h.My question is i mostly watch movies and would love my dialogue to be much clearer , so I was thinking on selling my 7's and super center x and buying SuperCinema xl. Would I get better dialogue like this ? or should I keep my towers and get a better front speaker. Thanks for any suggestions .
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• WayneWilmeth's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 7040
WayneWilmeth Posted 6 years 7 months ago
Hi Adlersberg,
I am not really sure I am getting your question. Do you mean to sell your T 7s and SC X to fund getting ONLY The SC XL?????
And not have front left and right speakers??????
NOOOOOO. I hope I don't have that right. But you need your Front L and R speakers.

To address your main question, I THINK (how do I know?) that your SC X is just not set up right in your Denon.
I have the SC X in a great home theater, it sits in a shelf (not the best place, but the only place I can put it--yours is not in a shelf is it????). But mine is as far forward as I can get it and still smooth with the front of my entertainment center, and tilted up (with the feet) to point right at my head. I have it set to small and the crossover set to 80 Hz. And I used a sound level meter to set the volume at my primary listening position to be exactly equal to all the other speakers around the room. And my dialogue is clear as a bell, totally GREAT!!!!
Did you run Audessey???? It is a killer, it is crap, it messes up everything, IMHO. I would turn it OFF.
I hope this helps, if you have more questions, pls ask.
Sorry to be so opinionated, but I think your speakers are wonderful, something else is wrong!!!!
God Bless,
Wayne
God bless the child that's got his own.

• ArthurDaniels's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 1811
ArthurDaniels Posted 6 years 7 months ago
Hi Aldersberg,

The best way I know to achieve the clearest dialogue is to make provisions for totally separate dialogue control. Here is the way to do that without selling any of your speakers.

Option 1: Acquire a second, very inexpensive, 5.1 AV Receiver. Send a digital signal from your video source (TV, etc.) to the separate AV Receiver. Connect your Center channel speaker to the separate receiver. Use the setup menu to activate the Center Only.

Option 2, assuming your Denon has a separate Center Pre Out RCA-type connector: Acquire a second, very inexpensive, 2-channel stereo amplifier. Connect the Denon Center Pre Out to the Stereo Amp Left or Right Input. Connect the Center Speaker to the corresponding Stereo Amp speaker (Left or Right).

With either option implemented, now you have totally separate volume-level control for the Center Dialogue signal. This is the method I use in my 7.1 AV setup for movies. I have also implemented this approach for several friends.

Best,

Art

• Moderator's Avatar Offline
    • Thank you received: 3418
Moderator Posted 6 years 7 months ago
Hi Aldersberg,

With all due respect to Art, please do not do anything he suggests in that post until your system is properly setup. The problem you describe, as Wayne correctly pointed out, has to be due to setup. Changing or adding gear will not be the answer.

Things to consider:

- The center speaker is not properly positioned. It should be at ear level, or pointing at ear level, and clear of any obstructions (including the shelf it is sitting on).

- Did you use the auto setup and Audyssey? If so, time to start over. Do a full factory reset and them follow the manual setup instructions detailed in the Sandy's Setup Tips document on our website support menu. Make sure to turn off ALL audio post-processing options.

After doing all this if you still have issues, reply back to this forum with your exact setup (bass management settings) and even a picture of the system in the room.

All of this assumes you did not buy from a local dealer that can come properly install and setup your system ... if you did, call them for help. Always better to have someone local on hand to diagnose.

• adlersberg's Avatar Offline school
    • Thank you received: 5
adlersberg Posted 6 years 7 months ago
I think you mis understood my question, I was thinking on selling my fronts and center speakers and replace it with the supercinema 3D XL to get a better sound for movies. Is this a bad idea ? Thanks again

• Moderator's Avatar Offline
    • Thank you received: 3418
Moderator Posted 6 years 7 months ago

adlersberg wrote: I think you misunderstood my question, I was thinking on selling my fronts and center speakers and replace it with the supercinema 3D XL to get a better sound for movies. Is this a bad idea ? Thanks again

It's a good idea if you don't have room for the Tritons and the SuperCenter. Otherwise, yes, its a bad idea and absolutely not the right way to solve the problems you are having.

Moderators: Moderator
menu
close
Menu
person_outline
arrow_back