file SuperCenter Reference

• cgott42's Avatar Offline school
    • Thank you received: 0
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
cgott42 Posted 7 months 6 days ago
I just got a brand new SuperCenter Reference. It sounds great overall,
HOWEVER, there's a tinny, screeching sound at normal/high volumes for female voices (singing)
I thought maybe my AVR (Yamaha TSR-700) was setup for the prev. SC XL, so I reran the setup w/setup mic and still has that noise.

Any idea?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Moderator's Avatar Offline
    • Thank you received: 3416
Moderator Posted 7 months 5 days ago
Hi cgott42, There are a couple things to consider. First, the SuperCenter Reference will sound just a bit edgy (and 2-dimensional) before it's broken in. The sound quality of this speaker (and all GoldenEar speakers) will smooth out a bit - and "open up" after it's broken in - or played at moderate volume levels for 40-60 hours.

Next, if you're still hearing a specific characteristic (after the speaker's broken in) - in this case tinny or screeching female vocals, it's quite possible the speaker is accurately reproducing the sound that's being sent to it. This could be related to the quality of the original recording (or program material), or it could be related to the surround setting selected on the receiver (or possibly the quality of DAC and amplifier built-into your receiver). If there are hard or reflective surfaces near the front of this center speaker, this will also have an impact on the upper midrange and high frequencies heard from this speaker. There are quite a few factors that determine the sound quality (or characteristics) produced by your system.

After the speaker's broken in, you might try (temporarily) connecting the SuperCenter Reference to the left or right channel of your system - and play some well recorded 2-channel stereo recordings - to see how the SuperCenter Reference compares to the left or right speaker in your system.

• cgott42's Avatar Offline school
    • Thank you received: 0
cgott42 Posted 7 months 1 hour ago
I think it was the AVR. As I changed to "Direct" and it sounds great! thx

• Moderator's Avatar Offline
    • Thank you received: 3416
Moderator Posted 6 months 4 weeks ago
Hi cgott42, That's great news. I hope you enjoy many years of listening pleasure with your GoldenEar loudspeakers.

Moderators: Moderator
menu
close
Menu
person_outline
arrow_back
You are here: Home Forum Support SuperCenter Series SuperCenter Reference