question-circle Amplifier Question

• Samwise's Avatar Offline school
    • Thank you received: 10
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
Samwise Posted 1 year 6 months ago
I am looking at a 3 channel D-Sonic amplifier for my front LCR which is currently two Triton 1s and and Supercenter XXL, but I hope to upgrade to two Triton References and a Supercenter Reference in the future. The amplifier is rated at 400W into 8 ohms and 800W into 4 ohms. Is that going to be too much power for the center channel specifically?

Also when they say the speakers are nominal 4 ohm and 8 ohm compatible, does that mean the amplifier will be sending 400W or 800W to the speakers? Or is it somewhere in between? Thanks!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• GDHAL's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 879
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
GDHAL Posted 1 year 6 months ago
Hi Samwise.

As to your nominal versus compatible impedance question, here is a recent response from the moderator.

www.goldenear.com/forum/Triton-Towers/49...-vs-compatible#30932

I'll add that you will likely find the move from T1 to TRef worthwhile.

Your amp will not be too much power. Assuming you listen to music (any sound really) at normal sound pressure levels, you may only draw one watt from the amp. The other hundred or so that it's capable of sits patiently and quietly in the background to accommodate any instantaneous peak in the music. Having more than enough headroom means you'll avoid clipping.

Best.

Hal
Golden Ear Triton Reference (pair), Musical Fidelity M6si, Schiit Yggdrasil-OG-B, Oppo UDP-205, Emotiva ERC-3, LG OLED65C9PUA, Salamander Synergy Triple Unit SL20, Audeze LCD-X, GIK acoustic paneling
halr.x10.mx/TritonReference.htm ; halr.x10.mx/other.html
The following user(s) said Thank You: Samwise

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: Moderator
menu
close
Menu
person_outline
arrow_back
You are here: Home Forum Support SuperCenter Series Amplifier Question