file SuperCenter Reference worth the upgrade over XL for Triton Sevens?

• wesg92's Avatar Offline school
    • Thank you received: 37
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
wesg92 Posted 3 years 1 month ago
Hi all,

I have Triton Sevens and a SC XL. I'm wondering if upgrading the the Reference would be worth doing, or if there are any reasons not to. I've heard it's an awesome speaker, but would it dominate or somehow minimize the Sevens?

Thanks!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• rjohn79395's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • rjohn79395
    • Thank you received: 4322
rjohn79395 Posted 3 years 1 month ago
Hi wes92

Just one person's perspective on this. I have had in succession, the SC XL, XXL, and Ref. Each step up is a big jump in clarity, bass presence, and just plain musicality/naturalness.

Those same centers have been matched with a changing lineup of GoldenEar fronts. All have matched tonally, and adjusting gain settings keeps the whole front as one, hard to discern from a distance what is coming from each channel. And upping the clarity of one seems to just become part of the whole sound envelope without detracting from other speakers.

Moderator Dude may want to comment, but my inclination would be to go for the SC Ref. The uptick in dialog clarity, bass presence in that channel would be substantial.

From the for what it's worth side.

Rick
5.4.4 HT speakers: T Ref fronts/LFE 1, SuperCenter Ref, T1 surrounds/LFE 2 + SuperSub XXL, HTR 7000 top fronts, HTR 8000 top rears
Zone 2 speakers; 2 Invisa 525's
AVR: Marantz SR 8015
Amp: AT525NC 5 channel
Cable/TiVo, OPPO BDP 105D, Bluesound Node 2i, Apple tv 4K streamer
48" SONY 4K OLED TV
The following user(s) said Thank You: wesg92

• Moderator's Avatar Offline
    • Thank you received: 3416
Moderator Posted 3 years 1 month ago
Hi wesg92, The SuperCenter Reference would produce a noticeable upgrade over the SuperCenter XL. You'll hear a greater sense of openness and fullness - as well as a bit more clarity and detail. Considering the center speaker plays 50%- 70% of all the sounds recorded on most movies, upgrading the center speaker is a good way to improve your home theater experience. In addition, the SuperCenter Reference would not overwhelm or overpower the Triton 7s. I would recommend upgrading to the SuperCenter Reference. Happy Listening!
The following user(s) said Thank You: wesg92

• ktoolsie's Avatar Offline
    • Thank you received: 14
ktoolsie Posted 2 years 8 months ago
I just added the Super Center Reference to my dedicated home theater, with Tritons 7 as my Front speakers. The SC Ref blended beautifully with the 7s, to create a seamless wall of sonic perfection. It was a noticeable upgrade over my Aerial CC3. I expected the SC Ref to blend better, given they’re the same make as my 7s, with similar tweeters. However, the SC Ref really showed the CC3 up. The annoying sibilance that existed with the CC3 is now completely gone, replaced with a velvety smooth upper end
The following user(s) said Thank You: rjohn79395

Moderators: Moderator
menu
close
Menu
person_outline
arrow_back
You are here: Home Forum Support SuperCenter Series SuperCenter Reference worth the upgrade over XL for Triton Sevens?