file Super center ref vs Triton 7 for center channel?

• bradorner's Avatar Offline school
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
    • Thank you received: 171
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
bradorner Posted 4 years 1 month ago
This may seem like an odd question, but here goes. For my home theater setup I currently have T1s and a super center XL in front. T2s as surrounds, and supersat 50s for rears. I been considering an SC ref as the SC XL sounds just a bit thin with the T1s (still sounds great though, so this is a very 1st world problem :-)

I did an experiment using a T7 instead of the SCXL as a center channel (I have a pair of T7s in my home office). I found the T7 was a bit better balanced with the T1s as the T7 has a fuller low/mid than the SC XL. For me, it also fit in looks-wise as I have a projection screen whose bottom is higher than the top of the T7.

So does anyone know how the SC Ref sounds compared with the T7? The cost of a SC Ref makes me wonder if I'd feel the cost is worth the upgrade. In fact as a general question, a T3+, T5, and the T7 are all less $$ than the SC Ref. So if a tower is physically an option for a center channel, how do they compare?

thanks,
Brad
Living Room:
Triton 1 - R,L
SuperCenter XL - Center
Triton 2 - Surrounds
SuperSat 50 - Rear surrounds
Emotiva XMC-1 pre/pro
Emotiva XPA-1 G2 monoblocks, R/L/C,
Emotiva XPA-1L monoblocks: surrounds, rears

Home Office Office:
Triton 7 - R,L
Emotiva XPA1-L, Stealth DC-1 DAC
The following user(s) said Thank You: Moderator, rjohn79395, aribraun

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• rjohn79395's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • rjohn79395
    • Thank you received: 4322
rjohn79395 Posted 4 years 1 month ago
Last edit: 4 years 1 month ago by rjohn79395. info_outline
Hi, Brad

Good, but tough question to answer. Maybe Moderator Dude has some insights.

My opinion, having heard most GEt speakers, but not all in a center channel role:

The SC Ref is WAY more full, bass rich than the XL. How would the T7, T5 or T3+ compare in center channel duty? Only guesses here. Maybe only the T3+ would dig deeper bass wise, though the T5 goes pretty deep also, probably as deep as the SC Ref, and none of the others have the Reference technology the SC Ref has, so better clarity there, important for a center channel speaker. If it were my decision, I guess I'd want to consider SC Ref vs T3+, maybe the T5. My own inclination would be the SC Ref because of the superb Reference clarity.

Rick
5.4.4 HT speakers: T Ref fronts/LFE 1, SuperCenter Ref, T1 surrounds/LFE 2 + SuperSub XXL, HTR 7000 top fronts, HTR 8000 top rears
Zone 2 speakers; 2 Invisa 525's
AVR: Marantz SR 8015
Amp: AT525NC 5 channel
Cable/TiVo, OPPO BDP 105D, Bluesound Node 2i, Apple tv 4K streamer
48" SONY 4K OLED TV
The following user(s) said Thank You: Moderator, aribraun

• Moderator's Avatar Offline
    • Thank you received: 3416
Moderator Posted 4 years 1 month ago

bradorner wrote: This may seem like an odd question, but here goes. For my home theater setup I currently have T1s and a super center XL in front. T2s as surrounds, and supersat 50s for rears. I been considering an SC ref as the SC XL sounds just a bit thin with the T1s (still sounds great though, so this is a very 1st world problem :-)

I did an experiment using a T7 instead of the SCXL as a center channel (I have a pair of T7s in my home office). I found the T7 was a bit better balanced with the T1s as the T7 has a fuller low/mid than the SC XL. For me, it also fit in looks-wise as I have a projection screen whose bottom is higher than the top of the T7.

So does anyone know how the SC Ref sounds compared with the T7? The cost of a SC Ref makes me wonder if I'd feel the cost is worth the upgrade. In fact as a general question, a T3+, T5, and the T7 are all less $$ than the SC Ref. So if a tower is physically an option for a center channel, how do they compare?

thanks,
Brad

Brad, would a third Triton One be possible? There are still a few left, but stock might not last a month. There's your ideal match.

If that is not possible, the SuperCenter Ref is what you want. Compared to the SC XL it has quite a bit more dynamic range and is more full sounding through the bass and mid-bass region. And overall it is a better speaker than the SC XL.

T7 & T5 will do alright, but they cannot match the dynamic range of the T1 and the center channel does most of the work in a home theater.
The following user(s) said Thank You: rjohn79395, aribraun

• bradorner's Avatar Offline school
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
    • Thank you received: 171
bradorner Posted 4 years 1 month ago
Thanks, a T1 would be too tall, although I could change my screen settings to not drop quite so low. What is the cost of the T1? I suspect the SCRef is the way to go.
Living Room:
Triton 1 - R,L
SuperCenter XL - Center
Triton 2 - Surrounds
SuperSat 50 - Rear surrounds
Emotiva XMC-1 pre/pro
Emotiva XPA-1 G2 monoblocks, R/L/C,
Emotiva XPA-1L monoblocks: surrounds, rears

Home Office Office:
Triton 7 - R,L
Emotiva XPA1-L, Stealth DC-1 DAC
The following user(s) said Thank You: Moderator, rjohn79395

• Moderator's Avatar Offline
    • Thank you received: 3416
Moderator Posted 4 years 1 month ago
MSRP on a single Triton One is $2749.99 in the USA. MSRP for a SuperCenter Reference is $1649.99 in the USA.
The following user(s) said Thank You: bradorner, rjohn79395

• rjohn79395's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • rjohn79395
    • Thank you received: 4322
rjohn79395 Posted 4 years 1 month ago
Last edit: 4 years 1 month ago by rjohn79395. info_outline
IF you don't choose the T1 option, which no doubt would be an awesome center for your set up as Moderator Dude says, here's my impressions of the SuperCenter series and differences:

I've had the XL, XXL and then the Ref in succession, and also heard the X. Each step up is BIG. My SC Ref goes "toe to toe" with the T Ref's for clarity and SQ, and is a perfect fit at center, doesn't take a back seat at all. Dialog is perfect, bass SQ matches the T Ref's (though obviously not as deep). IMO the SC Ref would be a great addition to your system and would never sound "a bit thin"!

Happy listening!

Rick
5.4.4 HT speakers: T Ref fronts/LFE 1, SuperCenter Ref, T1 surrounds/LFE 2 + SuperSub XXL, HTR 7000 top fronts, HTR 8000 top rears
Zone 2 speakers; 2 Invisa 525's
AVR: Marantz SR 8015
Amp: AT525NC 5 channel
Cable/TiVo, OPPO BDP 105D, Bluesound Node 2i, Apple tv 4K streamer
48" SONY 4K OLED TV
The following user(s) said Thank You: Moderator, bradorner, aribraun

Moderators: Moderator
menu
close
Menu
person_outline
arrow_back
You are here: Home Forum Support SuperCenter Series Super center ref vs Triton 7 for center channel?